1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

That screen unit looks excellent Peter, have you decided to make the restored one or the original shape?

Not much in it but the lower flange where the screen joins the fuselage is very obviously more slender than the original Grumman article.

As for the less shiny than you wanted clear bits it IS possible to polish vac formed canopies to give more clarity if you use very fine abrasives, 1200 mesh Micromesh or Ultra fine K&S sanding film gets the surface very smooth, then a gentle-ish buffing up will present a lovely item

(I advise practising on a 'mule' part first though of course)

I really want to see this at Telford, must seek it out.

I'll be one of the bemused passers by that keeps passing by

• Like 2

Now Peter, what we really need is a picture of the airframe with the canopy on it :) Once again it's a beauty. Your skills with the tiniest of metal parts never stops being impressive!

• Like 2

At least it didn't have a soggy bottom!! :winkgrin: With the skill and craftsmanship you have I'm sure you will get round the windscreen problem , I like the original best but if you want realistic I suppose you have to go with the curved restored one.

I would love to see this in the flesh but unfortunately I can't make Telford.

Keep up the good work Peter.

Guy

Peter,

Looking awesome on the canopy. Searching photos online of N7654C compared to standard F7F; it was clearly a replacement canopy and windscreen. You've captured the shape perfectly! Looks like the blown hood should be a no-brainer now...

Here are some photos I found of N7654C as she is today on display:

https://www.google.com/search?q=N7654C&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMI9cOKo_D0yAIVCHU-Ch2PmgpW&biw=1920&bih=988#imgdii=jnxQtztOaCWMoM%3A%3BjnxQtztOaCWMoM%3A%3BS4MmFHbRr7W18M%3A&imgrc=jnxQtztOaCWMoM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=N7654C&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMI9cOKo_D0yAIVCHU-Ch2PmgpW&biw=1920&bih=988#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACY58ULc7TmglIjhWJuX1LiC8wI6jNk1Q5jJW5YQfWbzIFaxLgyYUdtGvtTtI35DF4LQ4pdgNaldJFtzVq7iMct5m_1ioSCVYm5fUuILzAEUOCw2MpkJJMKhIJjqM2TVDmMlYRaKji4-HqyH0qEgnlhB9ZvMgVrBH5NAyxV3CsvyoSCUuDJhR20a-1EdsEco_1_1v_1CnKhIJO0jfkMXgtDgRnI1hqg6hOeMqEgml2A1qV0kW3BHb8lUtvAeJzioSCdWruIxy3mb-Ee3Dgeakxi7Z&q=N7654C

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1433/4720427613_bb399f680b_b.jpg <--- This was one pull-out that showed the "blown" canopy to advantage (many to choose from)

...offered for what it's worth to anyone who's interested...

Cheers!

PR

• Like 2

I can't see that tip in the thread Peter, can you explain how you 'baked' it? I've had bubble problems before too!

Keith

Ah - apologies all - it was from another thread - the advice had a link to here where it was all explained..

That screen unit looks excellent Peter, have you decided to make the restored one or the original shape?

Thanks Perdu - I will make the one that N7654C flew with in service - it's a blown hood probably for better low level visibility when hauling round those canyons dropping retardant..

Peter,

Looking awesome on the canopy. Searching photos online of N7654C compared to standard F7F; it was clearly a replacement canopy and windscreen. You've captured the shape perfectly! Looks like the blown hood should be a no-brainer now...

Here are some photos I found of N7654C as she is today on display:

https://www.google.com/search?q=N7654C&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMI9cOKo_D0yAIVCHU-Ch2PmgpW&biw=1920&bih=988#imgdii=jnxQtztOaCWMoM%3A%3BjnxQtztOaCWMoM%3A%3BS4MmFHbRr7W18M%3A&imgrc=jnxQtztOaCWMoM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=N7654C&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMI9cOKo_D0yAIVCHU-Ch2PmgpW&biw=1920&bih=988#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACY58ULc7TmglIjhWJuX1LiC8wI6jNk1Q5jJW5YQfWbzIFaxLgyYUdtGvtTtI35DF4LQ4pdgNaldJFtzVq7iMct5m_1ioSCVYm5fUuILzAEUOCw2MpkJJMKhIJjqM2TVDmMlYRaKji4-HqyH0qEgnlhB9ZvMgVrBH5NAyxV3CsvyoSCUuDJhR20a-1EdsEco_1_1v_1CnKhIJO0jfkMXgtDgRnI1hqg6hOeMqEgml2A1qV0kW3BHb8lUtvAeJzioSCdWruIxy3mb-Ee3Dgeakxi7Z&q=N7654C

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1433/4720427613_bb399f680b_b.jpg <--- This was one pull-out that showed the "blown" canopy to advantage (many to choose from)

...offered for what it's worth to anyone who's interested...

Cheers!

PR

Thanks PR - you are right I didn't word my post very well - the restoration was just that of N7654C being painted in navy colours, she retains the hood and windshield that looks like a local modification..

better seen in these two pics..

WIP1153_zpsuivloi6e.jpg

WIP1154_zpsqlcwz9us.jpg

..it is almost a semi-circle, whereas the in-service windshield had fairly straight-ish sides..

just trying to get all the sub assemblies into one place so she can stand on her wheels at the show (hopefully)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 3

Glad to see you again Peter, the Tigercat is even better in the flesh, such an amazing job, I felt your pain when you explained to me about the accident "Help!!!!" and trying to hold to book shelf up with everything falling down onto your model, hopefully you will be able to repair it OK, seeing your model and Toms C17 was my highlight of the show for me.

• Like 1

I feel just a tad, no b+gger that very, upset that I saw this all day each day 'cos it was next to our stand all weekend and each time I asked 'the maker' wasn't there

I suppose that with all else that was going on it's kinda inevitable but I would have loved a decent chat

Nice to see Ian's amazing Connie too, not so much a model more an architectural masterpeice

Connie is so big that I think she affects the local gravity and weather

Peter, the wrinkles on the f7F's wing were taken by friends of mine who haven't been here following it, (fools I calls 'em) as natural heavy duty wear and tear

It truly is a thing of beauty

(I was off having a short 'last wander round, as you do' then when I got back, sh*cks, she had gone... cue a short sharp misery dose :( )

It was a pleasure to see her in the metal

I am sad to say I missed the C17 too, I should have asked youse lot where that would be

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

I have been scouring online trying to find photos of the show (especially photos of you Peter and the Tigercat) but alas; all for naught. Along the way I keep hearing about a Connie and C-17...anyone have photos or a link with photos to share?

Looking forward to your return. Welcome home (in advance) and can't wait to see what's in store next on the F7F!

Cheers,

PR

• Like 1

I have been scouring online trying to find photos of the show (especially photos of you Peter and the Tigercat) but alas; all for naught. Along the way I keep hearing about a Connie and C-17...anyone have photos or a link with photos to share?

I was thinking the exact same thing PR!

• Like 1

Although I am not Peter of Airscale fame, I do happen to have a couple of photos of his magnificent F7F as it stood at Telford last weekend! Many thanks to John Hughes for sharing his photos.

SAM_0111.JPG

SAM_0112.JPG

Congratulations Peter! You did it and here is the living proof -- your Tigercat sitting on its gear at Telford!

Well done.

Now back to work!!! (We're dyin' here waiting for the next instalment of your artistry in fine scale modelling!)

Cheers,

PR

• Like 10

Pastor Rich et al,

If you check out the SHOWS forum on here you will find TELFORD photos.

Here's a link to one thread...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988056-smw-2015/page-22

By the way Peter/Airscale your TIGERCAT is VERY RESPLENDEDNT..

STUNNING.... I can't stop looking at it in the photo above..

:wow:

Edited by HOUSTON
  • Like 2

evening folks

I am really missing my daily fix of this build. How was Telford Peter??

Yes! How was Telford?

PR

thank you chaps - well Telford was really something - i loved every minute and got to slip away from my stand a few times by leaving Mrs A in charge so saw lots of delights. Lots of shopping for materials, lots of meeting great BM people like Nigel, Viv, Radders, Mike, Dave, the other Mike and Kev plus many others - I had an absolute ball. Everyone was very kind about my model and I have to say it was well worth the effort of getting her onto her wheels so it at least looks fairly together :)

Glad to see you again Peter, the Tigercat is even better in the flesh, such an amazing job,

Kev, thank you, but I have to say i was more impressed with your Vanguard - in the flesh it is much bigger and grander than I imagined and beautifully executed. I read the build thread again in my hotel room one of the nights i was there and was again mighty impressed. Thanks for the offer of your counsel with 3D parts - I think any model I ever do will need a little help with 3D from now on

I feel just a tad, no b+gger that very, upset that I saw this all day each day 'cos it was next to our stand all weekend and each time I asked 'the maker' wasn't there

I suppose that with all else that was going on it's kinda inevitable but I would have loved a decent chat

now that is my loss Perdu - I would love to have met up too - can't believe you were right next door (or not) whenever I came for a sortie & a chat on the LSP stand. Definately next time..

Nice to see the Tigercat. I think the dents have to stay, after all, it was a heavily used airframe.

thank you - I may just use that excuse to stop me re-doing some quite painful work :)

Keep up the great work Peter, was good to speak to you on Saturday and a real pleasure seeing your magnificent Tigercat.

Cheers...

thanks Spikelhund - it was a pleasure to meet you too - 'the creator' in my books, as I said I have never seen a better model engine than yours in the F4U - quite perfect..

I do happen to have a couple of photos of his magnificent F7F as it stood at Telford last weekend! Many thanks to John Hughes for sharing his photos.

Now back to work!!! (We're dyin' here waiting for the next instalment of your artistry in fine scale modelling!)

Cheers,

PR

thank you very much PR - I was thrilled to see the photo's, they are the first I have seen of it - my camera died on day one, picture one, so I have no record I was ever there :)

..as far as the next installment, I have nothing yet... I have unpacked the model, undamaged and it sits here in component parts waiting for me to pick up tools. I think I was so determined to get ready for the show, I need a little gasp for oxygen before I crack on again..

..I have also the mild distraction of doing a whole new range of cockpit instrumentation & placards/dataplates for Modern Jets - I was asked so many times at Telford I overcame my ambivalence to things without props and have wholeheartedly thrown myself into research & artwork - hope to have something out in the New Year..

anyways, thank you for your kind wishes and will be back soon with some more F7F mayhem..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 5

Peter,

Sorry to hear your camera went buggers on day one. Here is a link to the high-res versions of the photos included above. At least you can have them at their best and not optimized for web (low-res). Find them here:

http://www.firstflightmedia.com/Rich/BRIT/F7F/retigercat.zip

...this is the original file sent me by John Hughes.

Enjoy!

PR

Edited by Pastor Rich

hi folks :)

I thought I would also add these amazingly good pictures Radliegh Bushell (Radders) took of the F7F at Telford to the WIP. There are many superb shots of SMW 2015 on his site here

I love how they have come out and he is a top bloke too :)

WIP1155_zpskospmafz.jpg

WIP1157_zpsk0nur01t.jpg

WIP1158_zpsnvibc7o8.jpg

WIP1156_zpscmxyoznw.jpg

Peter

• Like 13