1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

This build is on another level! You don't seem to have the words "simplify" or "omit" in your vocabulary. The nacelle shape alone is stunningly complicated. Yet another reason I am sorry to miss Telford (again) this year...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I'm running out of words for you Peter ! When's the first flight ?

Inside the cowling always had a splattering of oil the amount of oil depended on how hard they are worked as yours is a fire cat I should imagine it was dirty in there.

Guy

• Like 1

evening folks :)

thanks as always for your kind words and for stopping by with words of encouragement thumbsup.gif

More superb work. One editorial comment: As this is an American aircraft, those so-called "cooling gills" are more correctly known as "cowl flaps." :winkgrin:

Ah-ha - many thanks - the appropriate naming convention will now be used :)

..to start the week it's about finishing one stage and moving on to the next..

..one of the nacelles is complete, the cowl flap area is done, just without the flaps themselves - the ring of litho that makes up this part has had bits cut into it for where the cowl flaps go, but I didn't remove the whole section so it would preserve it's uniform curvature - when I tried doing it in sections they bowed out or were too straight, so this is a compromise, but I think when the flaps themselves go on you will never be able to see the trick..

WIP1039_zps4jcw68wa.jpg

WIP1040_zps3cbavz4l.jpg

..now the next stage is what will go in it... we need an engine....

I had modeled a 3D core and some ancillary parts and with a very light shot of primer you can see that as usable parts they do need a little work as the striations of the print process are visible...

WIP1032_zpskouqv36v.jpg

WIP1033_zpsoc3hxiyp.jpg

..with some mr surfacer and some care they clean up though - at least the parts that will be front and centre do..

WIP1038_zpsmggzsolq.jpg

..I also need some cylinders - I was part way through these in 3D when my trial license to Rhino ran out but I had also spent about 3 weeks making up a master I intended to cast parts from..

WIP1034_zpsplholij6.jpg

..so what to do? the cylinder is too complex to cast in one part, it doesn't break down easily into smaller parts as any way I cut it there will be undercuts and bits that are going to be problematic to cast properly..

..then it hit me... why not fake it... these cylinders will only ever be seen from the front and are buried in the cowling, so I made a mould of the front half of them to see what happened and what it looked like..

..it looked good to me so I cast all 18 fronts...

WIP1035_zpshkcfosue.jpg

..they came out pretty well actually and I may be able to do a version of this process for the exposed engine...

WIP1036_zps14ufzq61.jpg

..and I think when this is all built up it will deceive the eye well enough... only you and I will know so don't tell anyone coolio.gif

WIP1037_zpssirxlwuu.jpg

thats all for now

TTFN
Peter

• Like 14

More greatness Peter ! I think the cylinders look great as you say you only see the fronts once they are in place. Can't wait to see the engines once complete.

:goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

evening ladies :)

thank you for dropping in..

..got a bit more done on one of the engines...

..started adding cylinders and the rod things...

WIP1041_zpsf0klmlcn.jpg

..after that it was time to have a go at the spark lead distributor ring thing (apologies - I build what I see, mainly without knowing what it is called...) - I scaled a drawing from the manual and found some plastic stock of the dimensions needed to start with..

..the intention here is to bend the stock around a suitably sized lid by holding it over a boiling kettle and working it..

WIP1042_zpsaijf1dzk.jpg

..after working it a bit I could tape it down to get the final shape..

WIP1043_zpsgyiwbz11.jpg

..I did one for each engine..

WIP1044_zpszk3vmrak.jpg

..I could also use the drawing to set out the spacing of the plug leads - this took some time and quite a bit of work..

WIP1045_zpsvufgllfo.jpg

..and started adding some of the cables with lead wire and albion tubing - before I started I made sure the wire fitted in the tubing and then they fitted in the next size tubing to make it all straightforward..

WIP1046_zpsq5o54gmi.jpg

..I still have half the wiring to do, but had a look at how it all looks together..

WIP1047_zpsopctorf7.jpg

..also need to add the second row of cylinders - incidentally the rear cylinders are different, the rods are to the rear so the ones I cast are incorrect but there are a lot of sort of sheet baffles between these front row cylinders that hide them so I think I can get away with it..

..added the ancillaries for a photo too..

WIP1048_zpse1qqbjrx.jpg

..and as suspected, just the fronts can be seen in the cowling so the cheating worked :)

WIP1050_zpsrebtivb5.jpg

WIP1049_zpsjepmmuog.jpg

..thats all for now

TTFN
Peter

• Like 11

Engine looks really good don't forget the oil !! the rod things are push rods and the spark plug distributor thing'y is the ignition harness. Don't worry Peter it still looks like what it should do !

Guy

• Like 1