1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

evening folks :)

so there I was making up the wingtips with some balsa fillets - i sloshed some super-thin CA around to make the balsa a bit more solid..

WIP859_zpsezocnqtm.jpg

..ummm, big problem...

being the class A dimwit that I am I managed to get thin CA all over the leading edge panels. It just ran straight from the tip, down the leading edge and literally dripped on the floor - I tried to recover them but it was no good. I will spare the gory details and a picture of the dent in the other wing as I threw some tools around my bench in a fit of frustration, but suffice to say they all had to come off... for good...

WIP858_zps6hffsklh.jpg

..had a break and started again. It's all done now so we move on..

..the leading edge of the outer wings are a nice straight panel so added these - actually this one went to waste too as I wasn't happy with the leading edge rivets as on the wing they tapered out a bit..

..thats the thing about scratchbuilding - if you aren't happy with something, just make another - the other little thing I learned with this panel is that when I scribe access panels etc through the masking tape template, I can peel the bit of tape where the panels is off and sand it very lightly through the gap to give the access panel a little contrast - hopefully as can be seen here..

WIP860_zpsxsjhtqsh.jpg

..and the second panel added - you can see the shaped balsa wingtip here too and a cover on the leading edge where there used to be a landing light..

WIP864_zpsl5mtau17.jpg

..the main panel between the spars next - used the template method again and added rivets & some more access panels - I drilled two out as they are very different metal on the real one so will replace them..

WIP861_zpse3tex5te.jpg

..after riveting I broke away the scored waste parts - I use a folding tool as a vise as it avoids kinking the panels

WIP862_zpsphcwrlom.jpg

..and this is what it looks like when the tape template is removed.. it would be pretty hard to stick this down to the wing so it gets burnished flat after this..

WIP863_zpsd9hyqyn0.jpg

..and the panel taped in place as there is more work to do on this bit and I need to make the little round access doors fit so it will be easier to change the size of the hole than the disc that will go in it..

WIP865_zpsgzxlqk1s.jpg

WIP867_zpsstw6vflg.jpg

..getting there slowly - especially when I have to do things twice...

WIP866_zpsvyjw9lqo.jpg

..back soon

TTFN
Peter

• Like 11

That trick with the sanding down of the access panel is great! Are you actually going to paint this model? Or will you bw using it to showcase the metalwork?

Edited by TGA
  • Like 1

Graceful recovery my friend! Well done!!

Now understanding how the wings come together; I have to admit I am really looking forward to how you resolve the cowlings!

Continuing to check-in often to get my "daily" fix.

Cheers,

PR

• Like 1

Are you actually going to paint this model? Or will you bw using it to showcase the metalwork?

well, a bit of both hopefully - the airframe I want to model - N7654C is partly painted as you can see here in these great reference pics..

WIP868_zpsimrla5db.jpg

WIP869_zps2wq3rimn.jpg

beautiful...

so, a little more progress - I have made and binned a few more panels as they were not right so things are taking time..

..I added some of the access doors for various bits and bobs - I put some litho in bleach to discolour it and made up the discs with their different pattern of attachment fittings..

WIP872_zpsuuqbmb5y.jpg

they can be seen in the reference pics above too..

WIP873_zpszin42bnx.jpg

..moving out to the outer panels - again a template to mark & work out panel lines, rivets and access doors..

WIP870_zpslrchkd1x.jpg

WIP871_zpsblgoipl4.jpg

WIP874_zps10kyr8xo.jpg

..the wing fold hinges are still present on the firebomber, though I suspect the mechanism was disabled - I bent the ends of a thin strip of roughly sanded litho sort of like a staple shape and glued them in place..

WIP876_zpshdjcwhxb.jpg

..I was going to start the panels behind the wing spars but I think I need to think about starting the engine nacelles so I don't risk damage or re-working the area...

WIP878_zpspolwrfql.jpg

WIP877_zpsq2oplskn.jpg

much to ponder on organising next steps rolleyes.gif

TTFN

Peter

• Like 7

Yes, I'll second that request for general arrangement photos. Especially longitudinally down the fuselage and how the tail surfaces line-up. Good time to see the dihedral of the wings too! (Just a thought)

The Tigercat has always been a special favourite of mine and the Firecat especially so! Those monster radials and sleek lines combine to such a brute of an airframe -- a guy has just got to love it! (IMHO)

PR

• Like 1

Lovely work Peter, The colours of the Firecat are different to the normal glossy sea blue remember when Plain Sailing's one turned up in the fire markings before it was resprayed that's when I found out they used them as fire fighters I was working on there Catalina at the time and it was kept quiet that the Tigercat was on its way and was a shock when I went in the hangar and there she was !!

Will you be adding the belly tank ?

Guy

• Like 1

evening folks - thanks for stopping by :)

Hurry up and Finish it, as I want you to start the 1/48 Hastings, only joking mind you, brilliant stuff as always :thumbsup:

haha Kev - it won't be 1/48, if I do it, it will be 1/32 and a lot of fun - dropped in on your VC10 - beautiful - fantastic work, I hope I can see it at Telford?

It's looking lovely Peter... can we have some more "general arrangement" pics soon please? ^_^

Hi Mike - yep - the light has gone today as I need to do that on my kitchen table as it is getting pretty big now, but will drop a few in here tomorrow...

Lovely work Peter, The colours of the Firecat are different to the normal glossy sea blue remember when Plain Sailing's one turned up in the fire markings before it was resprayed that's when I found out they used them as fire fighters I was working on there Catalina at the time and it was kept quiet that the Tigercat was on its way and was a shock when I went in the hangar and there she was !!

Will you be adding the belly tank ?

Guy

Hi Guy - no, there won't be a belly tank - personally I think it ruins the sleek & purposeful lines of the airframe so for me I prefer it as she was created by Grumman..

..so, on to tonights episode...

I kinda needed to change tack a bit as I could happily have skinned the wings and found I damaged it or needed to rework parts of it trying to make and fit the engine nacelles.

..I tried using the card kit plans and actually started making a nacelle, but it soon dawned on me that it would just be too weak once I chopped the middle of it out for the main gear wells (and too much work to do twice), so gave up on that idea..

..I thought I could try vacforming them... (well, I would try first, probably make a hash of it and then ask a professional...) - so for that I needed a master..

..from the plans I traced out a profile and a plan view and put them on 3mm plastic card..

WIP881_zps5uizyfdu.jpg

..fronted it with a disc of the right diameter and started blacking the lines so I can see it later when sanding..

WIP882_zpsewrjo6s8.jpg

..to get a neat fit to the wing, a little trick it to cover it in abrasive paper so it sands exactly the profile you want...

WIP883_zpsjpc4bmoj.jpg

..I used some of the card kit parts for bulkhead shapes where they helped define it, and again black edged all the edges..

WIP885_zps3fdf887e.jpg

..and then stuck lots of balsa in all the gaps - I used the same sheet with the grain all running the same way for even sanding..

WIP886_zpsptj8nwx5.jpg

..10 minutes with my home sander and I have a master form taking shape...

WIP887_zpsbfgsibzk.jpg

WIP884_zpsc8k0pxcz.jpg

WIP888_zpsrrix0wjd.jpg

WIP890_zpsxdwp5vtw.jpg

WIP889_zpse23tp56d.jpg

..still got quite a bit to do to refine it and actually it really needs to be in two halves to be vacformed properly - maybe top/bottom, maybe left/right - don't know yet...

..thoughts welcome?

TTFN
Peter

• Like 12

Lovely inventive modelling work going on here. Are the two nacelles identical (or mirror images of each other)? It looks like you have been able to make the identical which makes sense. I think I would go for a vertical, symmetrical split for the vacforming, that way you would basically only have the underside joint to fill and clean up. Is the balsa pattern going to be used to make a resin tool for the actual vacforming? Your work also needs to take account of the thickness of the vacformed plastic.

• Like 1

Hi Peter, looking good, cheers for the comment on the VC10, although its not anywhere near the standard you are creating on this model

1/32 scale Hastings would look great, I have the AIM 1/72 kit, which I'll have to start one day

• Like 2

Good work Peter, I agree about the tank she dos look sharper with out it.

Guy

• Like 1

evening folks smile.png

..some progress - in fact a big step forward on something I have been quietly worrying about on this build...

..but I get ahead of myself, lets start at the beginning..

..when I left it last I had made up a master form of an engine nacelle - they are basically the same on both wings so one form will cover both engines.. I had a fair bit of filling & sanding to do to get a reasonable surface. It doesn't have to be pristine as it is just a shape to work from - the surface will be skinned in litho again..

WIP891_zpslgpr6cyd.jpg

..in the end, I had a nice shape - I forgot to reduce the profile by the amount of the sheet that will cover it so it will be slightly over-scale but I can live with that..

..I marked out the gear doors and and a centreline for reference and scribed some thick lines into it hoping that when I vac-form over it, the lines will show where I need to cut..

WIP893_zpsriqqmrnx.jpg

WIP896_zpsfkjftme4.jpg

WIP895_zpsdfzzha00.jpg

..now for the leap forward!!

I tried to vacform on my little homebuilt rig with the first bit of 1mm card and the first try I got THIS>>>>

WIP897_zpsemgqka3g.jpg

..I was ecstatic as I thought it would never work at that thickness and with such a large part on the little vacform plate..

...I cut the part from the sheet and it looked ok...

WIP898_zpspfco4kz5.jpg

WIP899_zpsf5uynt9p.jpg

..so I tried it again and made another - they are pretty rigid and will definitely work as the basis for the nacelles once I build out the internal structures...

WIP901_zpsy1m6qyz7.jpg

WIP900_zpsgceoxo6r.jpg

WIP902_zpsrt9jzyhl.jpg

..I am pleased that worked out as with the exception of the engines and cowlings themselves that was the remaining major construction hurdle smile.png

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13