1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

evening folks & thank you.. smile.png

a little bit more done today - I moved on to the lower panel..

..first I primed the PE with Mr Metal primer...

WIP432_zpsrxb5bknc.jpg

..then shot some Tamiya silver out of a rattle can...

WIP433_zpsrwmb09qj.jpg

..I blobbed a few bits of maskol along the lower edges and airbrushed the black finish...

WIP434_zpssfasg501.jpg

..then got some placards and added them where needed along with a couple of dials...

WIP435_zps3dq9nff7.jpg

..added two starter buttons and the two red handles for emergency lowering the undercarriage...

WIP437_zpsyirlyb6g.jpg

WIP438_zps2qlbtzwq.jpg

..I still need to add some switches and two very distinctive 'ring' handles that are fuel controls, but I haven't figured out how to make them yet..

..here it is with the panel..

WIP439_zpsgvd1k9kq.jpg

WIP440_zps1aj7yya6.jpg

WIP441_zpsjvsui1tn.jpg

WIP442_zps9rqyimnf.jpg

..I am enjoying myself - this is my favourite part of any build I do... whistle.gif

..thats it for now...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10

evening ladies

thanks for your kind words - every one inspires me to try harder..

so today is not mission impossible - just mission difficult..

before I self destruct, we need to build this...

WIP443_zpsvl7d3msc.jpg

..alright I cheated and had some PE made, so I scratched off the paint to show the detail underneath - it's just sprayed with a silver rattle can and then tamiya semi gloss black..

WIP444_zps6i6s2osw.jpg

..next I made a paper template to work out how to best cut the brass sheet and make up the structure of the switch panel..

WIP445_zpsfjlmffcg.jpg

..drilled & punched holes where needed to allow for fixings & pipework..

WIP446_zpse7x53rom.jpg

..a bit of concentration with the folding tool - i.e bend the face that is not being looked at - here everything is bent away from the top face..also some scale hardware rivets have been added..

WIP447_zpsr83r7cas.jpg

..added the cable conduits and due to bad planning had to chop out part of the top section to allow for the glass etc where there are dials..

WIP448_zpsgx9ehlkv.jpg

..sprayed it silver, then black and added the side indicator panel..

WIP453_zpsfotss69q.jpg

..picked off the maskol stippled at the bottom..

WIP449_zpshylurvq0.jpg

..added lots of bits of sprue for switches and detailed what I could see - still more to do but then this is two days at the bench for what most peeps say 'you can't see anyway'...

WIP452_zpsqeugbbjy.jpg

WIP451_zpsmrtqsbhe.jpg

..love every minute I build cockpit stuff coolio.gif

back soon

TTFN

Peter

• Like 16

incredible. Everytime I visit, I am left in awe.

I love what you are doing here. Like you I enjoy the cockpit work the most. I just wish I could get mine to look like yours.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

Very nice, fine work.

Are you turning the connectors on this?

Lee

thanks all - I am thrilled to hear you like what you see smile.png

Lee - I cheated on those - they are model car parts from RB Motion - expensive if you need lots of them but perfect for the job

..so, not much of an update as I have been busy, but I guess this is about building a Tigercat even if it is one piece at a time! The part in question is a canopy winding handle, this is what the pilot uses to crank it backwards & forwards..

I assembled the PE parts I had made by laminating them to make thicker parts...

WIP458_zpsniy9xgkp.jpg

..the re-stock of scale hardware nuts & bolts included these - they even have threads - unbelievable given they are less than half a millimetre in diameter..

WIP460_zps8fw8qpyc.jpg

..shot silver on another side console part that is up next...

WIP459_zpseb6gxovu.jpg

..the winding crank actually has a wooden handle so I turned a cocktail stick in my dremel - i figure nothing looks more like wood than wood itself..

WIP461_zpsqpc5wqd8.jpg

..painted it and did a bit of chipping - my new favourite way of weathering..

WIP462_zpsjd6wpthb.jpg

WIP464_zpseukow7a9.jpg

WIP463_zpsigwszpne.jpg

..so to make up for my rather weak efforts at progress on the bench, I have also been spending some late nights trying to get the engines up to scratch - Tim has been really helpful (thanks Tim) - I still have loads to do but in the long run I hope it saves me a few months scratchbuilding them (twice)...

WIP455_zpsm2lwkkgi.jpg

WIP456_zps0sudurrj.jpg

WIP457_zpshulsmpot.jpg

..also gave the fuselage another primer coat and am still trying to get rid of some rather persistant seams around the nose join which I really hope isn't caused by flexing between the very heavy resin/lead nose and the card structure..

more soon hopefully...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13

The engine looks good Peter, our 3D printer is down at the moment (£900 call out charge for the engineer to look at it, gulp!!), otherwise I would redo the wheels for you. if you don't mind waiting

• Like 1

The engine looks good Peter, our 3D printer is down at the moment (£900 call out charge for the engineer to look at it, gulp!!), otherwise I would redo the wheels for you. if you don't mind waiting

evening folks - hope all are well

:thumbsup: thanks Kev - you are a true gent - I would say the time it will take me to get this bird on it's wheels means we have..oh...about 2 years....

so, a few bits done in the last few days.. I wanted to get the rear part of the cockpit switch console finished..

..this bit on the right behind the main switchbox... it has some detail and a bunch of wiring & pipework beneath it

WIP465_zpspwmh6tce.jpg

..I made up some of the parts including pipe unions and the mounting for the big handle which is for dropping the landing gear in an emergency..

WIP466_zps2xmnm7ia.jpg

..used a spare PE console to make the base this all sits on as it needs to be dropped into the cockpit as one, I can't just mount it onto the floor...

WIP467_zpstvhokbz6.jpg

..a shot of interior green...

WIP468_zpsfpisgaq6.jpg

..added the pipework - it all looks a bit wee weed (as we say in the UK) now I look at it closely...

WIP469_zps29c54faw.jpg

..added some wiring bundles to the switchbox - these were stripped out of an old laptop - I just battered it with a hammer & took some bits I thought might be useful one day - it turns out the bundle that connects the screen to the keyboard is full of ultra small scale wires whistle.gif

WIP470_zpsn6vqq8ys.jpg

..still need to finish it, but this is where I am at..

WIP471_zpsbkq3sjmp.jpg

WIP474_zpsogifvu1t.jpg

WIP472_zpskjmgvlqe.jpg

WIP473_zpsewkxawr4.jpg

..back soon...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13