Kaproni Bulgarski KB 11 Fazan, 1/72 scratch

JWM

Hi,
I posted PZL 43 A in Bulgarian markings recently and it was found exotic, but what I am posting now is even more exotic, I belive. As far as I know there is no model of this plane in any scale... If someone knows differently - please tell me. My model is a totally hand-made sculpure - out of scratch. On one photo you may see drawings, which were published in book "Sojusznicy Luftwaffe" ("Luftwaffe aliants"), published by Books International. I scaled it to 1/72 and it was a basis of the work.
The machine is a kind of countrpartner of Lysender designed and produced in Bulgaria during WW II. The name of this airplane is Kaproni - Bulgarski (Bulgarian Caproni) KB 11 Fazan (Pheasant). It was driven by Bristol Pegasus XX engine (produced under licence in Poland before WW II and delivered to Bulgaria by Germans, after capture of Poland). 24 such machines were produced only. However - it is described in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaproni_Bulgarski_KB-11_Fazan.
Model presents airplane which was used to fight with partisants in Macedonia during 1943.
Please have a look and perhaps enjoy it
Regards
Jerzy-Wojtek

fazan DSC02311fazan DSC02309fazan DSC02310fazan DSC02307fazan DSC02306fazan DSC02279fazan DSC02305fazan DSC02278fazan DSC02275

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 35

Whaaat !!! Amazing!! Did you do a "work in progress" on this?? It would be really exciting to follow a photo series on your build !!

• Like 1

Thank you for a great support :)

Did you do a "work in progress" on this??

Unfortunately I made this model without doing "work in progres" documentation. I did it about 2004, so before I bought a digital camera... Later I made some documentation of doing scratch model -

please have a look to my posts (in "Ready for inspection") on Percival Petrel, Northorop Delta and Intaleri Wellingtons (Wellington Mk VI), for example :)

Revealing some workshop "secrets" - It may be perhaps interesting, that in wings the eliptical outside parts were in outline not very much reshaped spitfire wings, the inner part comes from something else. The surface of wings of course have to be then made completly new. When I found it analysing plans, that this is feasible this way - I decided to do this model. Despite the fact, that fuselage is not very simply, and especially the large unusual windows were challenging....

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 5

Thank you :) As I mentioned in one of my very first post I have more than 300 models done, so still some esoteric subjects are to be revealed... :)

Cheers

J-W.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the link to this J-W :) 

You have done fantastic work here :o !

I never thought I would see a model of this aircraft. It must be the only one in the world.

The fuselage looks very difficult. This also makes me wonder how structurally strong the real aircraft was aft of the trailing edge; there is hardly anything there but plexiglass! The glass must have been difficult to recreate.

Stunning work

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

"The fuselage looks very difficult. This also makes me wonder how structurally strong the real aircraft was aft of the trailing edge; there is hardly anything there but plexiglass! The glass must have been difficult to recreate".

Tony, many thanks!  - indeed, the fuselage was a bit difficult....  AFAIR for big side windows I used some trash elements (kind of box) of not so thin (about 1- 1.2 mm, I think) transparent styrene of approximately correct curve radius and they  was glued, then sanded and polished. The main canopy was glued from small parts, like I did in case of DH 90... I doubt  if it really an only sole KB 11 in 1/72 all over the world. Some modellers from Bulgary or former Yugoslav countries (after WWII KB11  was used in Yugoslavia)  did it for sure. BTW - once I've seen a Bulgarian short run of DAR-10. So perhaps there is also another short run of KB-11. Anybody know it, by chance?

Richard, thank you also for nice comment :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Pat, Meatbox8 and Marko - many, many thanks!

7 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

Excellent work!

In which publication were those scale plans that you showed in one of the photos?

And if you remember, other than Spitfire wings, what else was useful from other kits for your scratch project?

Thanks!

Marko - the book is "Sojusznicy Luftwaffe" - hard to get it now:

https://merlin.pl/sojusznicy-luftwaffe-czesc-1-j-rajlich/1337290/.  

BTW - This is vol. 1 and there is also vol. 2 with some data on Croatian airforces, http://www.ww-model.pl/index.php?p7894,sojusznicy-luftwaffe-czesc-2. This one seems to be easier to get.

As in scrtach work I used a lot of small parts of not exactly recognized origin. What I remeber - the whole engine (only with small modification in shape of front)  I used from PZL 37 Los, propeller was likely from some Czech model - Letov or Avia. Some part of fuselage was also taken from PZL 37 - but strongly modified (cut and reglued). And I think - taken up side down - like in my scratch build of Northrop Delta I did with Frog P47 fuselage (it was presented here on RFI some 2 years ago - this is also one of my many

scratch builds...). Spitfire wings were from Airfix Mk Vb (old one).  And a tube of putty....Transparent parts were glued from the pieces (window by window), and then sanded and polished. 

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Many thansk Gents for coments.

Those two books contains also some other drawings. In my scratch work on Caproni 309 (one can find it on RFI from 2014 also) I  used some Internet drawings but also the one from these book. Sometimes I am thinking on scratch work on DAR-3, for example... But so many kits in stash waits for build...

dar3-1.gif

Cheers

J-W

• 5 months later...
On 10/11/2014 at 5:11 AM, JWM said:
Hi,
I posted PZL 43 A in Bulgarian markings recently and it was found exotic, but what I am posting now is even more exotic, I belive. As far as I know there is no model of this plane in any scale... If someone knows differently - please tell me. My model is a totally hand-made sculpure - out of scratch. On one photo you may see drawings, which were published in book "Sojusznicy Luftwaffe" ("Luftwaffe aliants"), published by Books International. I scaled it to 1/72 and it was a basis of the work.
The machine is a kind of countrpartner of Lysender designed and produced in Bulgaria during WW II. The name of this airplane is Kaproni - Bulgarski (Bulgarian Caproni) KB 11 Fazan (Pheasant). It was driven by Bristol Pegasus XX engine (produced under licence in Poland before WW II and delivered to Bulgaria by Germans, after capture of Poland). 24 such machines were produced only. However - it is described in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaproni_Bulgarski_KB-11_Fazan.
Model presents airplane which was used to fight with partisants in Macedonia during 1943.
Please have a look and perhaps enjoy it
Regards
Jerzy-Wojtek
fazanDSC02305_zpsbf9d1a90.jpg
fazanDSC02311_zps9963b510.jpgfazanDSC02310_zps889e67f1.jpgfazanDSC02309_zps02ea1fc4.jpgfazanDSC02307_zps0df5acb3.jpgfazanDSC02306_zpscda99556.jpgfazanDSC02279_zps647b70e6.jpgfazanDSC02278_zps88ab7544.jpgfazanDSC02275_zpsab391679.jpg

Love this little higher (shoulder) winger!!  "Tis the beauty of Scratch-Building .. making you own little known airplane and ignored by mainstream kit manufacturer... Thanks for posting this inspirational build ( I have  downloaded a plane for home making project).... More modeling power! Regards...

Farouk (tausugAir HARIBON DECALS)

Edited by tausugAir
  • Like 1