1:144 scale Eduard Bunny MIG 21

I've been stuck with the model making equivalent of writers block recently so I decided to finish a model I started a while ago to give myself a little push in the right direction.

Usually the idea of a pink model with hearts on would really put me off but for some reason I actually liked this.

However as soon as I started I hit problems. I applied a little too much pressure to the tiny canopy and managed to snap it clean in half. After cursing rather a lot i decided my plans would have to change. The only way to mask he issue would be to paint the canopy, and so it turned into a display model.

In my imagination this MIG would be being displayed somewhere where it appears to be a little out of place. Maybe this would be in the middle of a roundabout or next to a car park or outside an entrance to somewhere. It would have a really harsh, solid looking concrete base like so many MIGs seem to be displayed on.

Anyway that's the idea, here's the pictures :)

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

• Like 8

Woah, that's very - Pink!!!

I can picture this on a roundabout. All that's missing is the graffiti.

Nicely done.

Yup, that works. It certainly does have the look of an eastern European display stuck somewhere out of context. How did you make the stand?

That's very atmospheric! I can just imagine seeing one on a rainy weekend in Eastern Europe somewhere. The base and the grey background really set it off. And the MIG is very nicely finished - it looks much bigger than 1/144.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for your kind comments :) No roundabout i'm afraid. Maybe i'll come back to it some day and make it into a proper diorama but right now I need to move on to keep myself motivated, i'm on a mission to complete a couple more of my half finished projects! I'm banned from buying new kits at the moment till I clear a few from my model stash :blush:

Yup, that works. It certainly does have the look of an eastern European display stuck somewhere out of context. How did you make the stand?

The stand is made up from plastic card. I took the display stand from a Zvezda kit and used this as my core piece and built up the stand around that and based my outer curve off that piece then messed around with the inner curve till it looked right. The base was made first, then the sides were stuck to the base, then the top so they curved inwards, then I placed plastic card on the remaining 2 sides to be completed and cut it to fit. For the concrete effect I got a tin of old, rather thick humbrol paint, applied it then pressed a piece of plastic on top, removed it then repeated the process several times. Basically what happened was that as the paint dries a bit some of the paint sticks to the plastic and some to the surface, giving it a sort of molded concrete look. I then sprayed the base with the colour I actually wanted for my base. As you can tell I did make that method up myself after a bit of experimentation, but it seems to work at that scale so i'm happy :D

• Like 1

Looks very nice indeed. Certainly not a scheme I would have dared to try, so thank you for making and sharing. The base looks great, as others have said, now you need a roundabout and some figures from the N gauge railway - cars, yobbos etc.

I hope that this will one day make it to a show so I can see it in the flesh.