ROYAL NAVY Merlin HC4. 845 NAS Junglies...Revell kit with mods.

Finally after five week I have my ROYAL NAVY 'Junglies' Merlin HC4 completed. The kit is the Revell 72nd with folded main rotorhead and tail, the main rotorhead was particularly fiddly as there was some bending, filling and cutting to accomplish it. The hoist came from the Comorant kit.

Paint is Humbrol 86 with a coat of artists acrylic matt glaze medium. The intake and exhausts blanks are made from Blue-tak then painted again with artists acrylic. Decals are from the spares box.

Thanks for those of you who followed and commented kindly my build thread.

Although I have depicted the cab in 845 markings they may not be the first unit to receive them. It was my first Junglie squadron.

IMG_5446re_zps915a8047.jpg

And a kindly nod to the Arctic Junglies, this scheme may never again be seen, when considering all the action at present is in the Middle-East.

IMG_5448crre_zps03542cd1.jpg

Enjoy my Junglie Wiffery.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Looks good. Certainly makes a change from grey. :goodjob:

Many thanks Phil but the current feeling is it may well end up in grey, maybe even two tone grey ala the Wildcats. What a tradgedy that would be.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Der biz! :thumbsup2:

It might even persuade me to build another horror Italeri Merlin if there's some interesting schemes.

If you fancy some Wiffery, then look at my other thread. I've made some interesting but possible ideas on schemes.

Colin

Der biz! :thumbsup2:

It might even persuade me to build another horror Italeri Merlin if there's some interesting schemes.

Hi Neil, not such a horror of a kit, it's just a case of carefull assembly, as mentioned above have a look at my Merlin Wiffery thread. Lots of interesting alternative schemes.

Colin

Thanks guys, I enjoyed the build and glad you're enjoying the pics. Any questions I'll gladly answer.

Colin

Excellent work Colin. She looks spot on. :thumbsup:

Hi Dave, many thanks as mentioned above my first Junglie squadron was 845 hence those markings but hey we shal see who gets first shot at he Merlins. Whichever the FAA will deffinitely benefit. A nice cab to go ashore in, I sometimes wish I was still serving but then again.

Colin

• Like 1

I have the Italeri Merlin kit here to be build anytime soon - without much information about it yet. Is it really such a 'horror' kit?

No, I suppose it's not a horror kit, challenging yes, but buildable, think of it as old fashioned modelling where you have to tweak the fit. My problem is I have little desire to go through that challenge again.

BTW, have a look around the walkaround area of this site, loads of Merlin info:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/341-rotary-wing-aircraft-walkarounds/

If you fancy some Wiffery, then look at my other thread. I've made some interesting but possible ideas on schemes.

Oh, I've seen that. And I truly wish I hadn't, too much temptation. Mind you I suppose I could build the Trumpter 350th Merlins...

Edited by neilscrim

Really nice schemes, I really like the arctic camo, I don't think I've ever seen it before, well done.

Rich

Hi Rich, it was carried by the Sea King Commandos when they went for Arctic training exrecises in Norway.

Colin

Hi Dave, many thanks as mentioned above my first Junglie squadron was 845 hence those markings but hey we shal see who gets first shot at he Merlins. Whichever the FAA will deffinitely benefit. A nice cab to go ashore in, I sometimes wish I was still serving but then again.

Colin

Absolutely. But it's good to keep the friendly rivalry going. :wicked:

Hi Colin,

a brilliant build, no less!!!

You have really done the Merlin proud! The Humbrol 86 you used, is it acrylic or enamel?

When I see that I wonder why I am not trying my hand on a chopper. Never really built one and it is a shame!

Great model Colin!

JR

PS: I have tried to PM you a while back and I could not get through. Are you aware of any snag on your PM account?

Cheers.

Well done Colin the finished Junglie Merlin looks great and the base is very nice too. You`ve definitely bumped a Merlin up my `to do' list! Cannot wait to see your Super Lynx!

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...