1/48 Frightening Trainer

I pulled mine down from the shelf of doom and discovered the canopy has gone yellow, it was the CMK conversion and it only had one in it !

Them's the breaks i guess

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Folks!

As I've finally got my camera and computer on speaking terms time for an updat.

tumblr_ngxs7zTbHS1t8blhlo5_1280.jpg

I've rebuilt the instrument panel and coaming (broken into seven pieces in transit to me) and got the major parts undercoated with Halford's primer which matches the final colour well so I'll run with it as is. The Aires front gear bay fitted easily but I'm not certain it's in the right position. I'll check later. As I use nail super glue it will disassemble easily enough after a soak in acetone if needed.

tumblr_ngxs7zTbHS1t8blhlo6_1280.jpg

The tailplanes and tail piece are finally on and one air brake. The RH one fits perfectly but the LH doesn't being too long one way and too short the other, Oh and the curve doesn't match the fuselage either :weep: An executive decision has been reached that it will be slightly open due to a fault. According to a friend who worked on them for a very long time (take a bow Julian Hart) it did happen but not very often. Thanks to Rene's build I managed to catch the sink marks on the wings in one go!

Today I have started the cockpit detail painting, having made sure it all goes together first! As time is getting short due to my dithering about I'm having second thoughts about the finish. I may go for the greys rather than Dark Green/Grey/NMF

Decisions....

Cheers for looking and sorry that the piccies aren't better.

• Like 2

No pictures until tomorrow when the shops will, hopefully be calmer and I can get camera batteries.

But in a frenzy of Boxing Day radio listening I've got the cockpit painted (minus ejection seats and shattered cowl) and the fuselage, engines and cockpit assembled and taped together.

I would have fitted the wings but they look a bit flat so I've put a shim on the fuselage joint which I'll sand to a taper tomorrow then get the wings on. As she stands on her tail nicely the alignment should be easier than usual!

BTW used 30g of self-adhesive wheel weights just behind the cockpit as the resin exhausts are rather heavier than the plastic bits they replace. Thankfully I have a white metal nose-wheel assembly :thumbsup2:

I'm determined to finish this GB on time!

• Like 4

Howdy Fans

Here are the progress shots, which are rubbish photos as usual. Sorry. Taken Boxing Day morning so a bit of a time capsule.

tumblr_nh8ousyp7b1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nh8ousyp7b1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

The basic cockpit assembled and front assembly super-glued together and the fit isn't too shabby at all.

tumblr_nh8ousyp7b1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

Britain's first manned spacecraft :thumbsup:

The right side is a little shorter as I trimmed the front to deal with some bubbles in the resin. The masking tape is to contain the P38 filler that is next. It's once used Tamiya masking tape making a final contribution. Once the filler is on it's peeled straight off making sanding much simpler. As soon as the filler narrows I know I'm there!

While that is all happening I'll be attending to the vents, inlets and pipes on the rear fuselage. Oh and sanding down the wing root fillets.

• Like 3

Bit of an Oh Err! period now.

Glued the rear fuselage halves together and realised just in time that I'd done nothing about the vents. So pulled them apart breaking both tail planes off in the process :tapedshut:

Today I have been trying to find the coaming bits to attempt repair number 2, in situ I think!

I think the APU outlet on the port side is a little too far aft as well.....

This may end up in KUTA VII :weep:

Still beavering away. Working on refining the vents in the rear fuselage and rebuilding the cockpit coaming. Also noticed a break in the line between the fuselage and the nose ring so I'm breaking out the filler again. I hoped to have the beast in one piece by now....

• Like 1

Well the kit is fighting strong rearguard actions Col but, to be honest, most of the problems are caused by me. I simply didn't do decent research before I started and am having to do it as I build now. My depression got the better of me for a while which didn't help....

All the vents etc. I knew about got added yesterday and then I started on the ones that I'd missed, corrected the four rear spine ones from NACA style to ducted (after I'd opened them up as NACAs of course!) and put some more of the coaming back together, hopefully for the last time.

Then I primed the front section :yikes: It needs some serious TLC. There are strange cut marks around some of the added panels some of which stand way proud of the fuselage. Like the gun blanking inserts. Some of the panel lines leave a fair bit to be desired as well.

So I now know that there's no chance of this being completely finished by Sunday :weep: so my aim now is to get her built and at least primed if not ready for paint.

I'm not put off though, as soon as I get a job I'll be getting two more for a T.4 and T.55. Which will benefit from this build. :poo:

Finally I've run out of superglue and thick foil and my foil glue (for the undersides) is a solid lump. The first two are easy.....

• Like 4

A 48th T.55? Good man! :D

Something tells me the legacy of this GB will be seen in the general RFI thread for some time to come :lol:

I think your right Col, I want to tackle the Airfix F.2 I have in the stash now and I can see a another couple of Sword kits looming too. It has been great to watch other builds come together and very inspirational.

Hi There I'm SleeperService and I am a Lightningholic

Thank You so much for the kind words :cheers:

The foil glue has proved a proper pain. I've tried everything I can think of with no joy. One of my friends is going to a craft fair at the weekend so hopefully....

In the meantime I've got plenty of work on the front end to get done, I still hope to have the major construction done by the 4th and maybe primer as well. I've already got plans for a 19 Sqn T.4, Saudi T.55, F.6 (squadron TBD, any suggestions?) and something in grey to complete the schemes.

Despite the issues I've really enjoyed this Group Build, it would have been even better to complete it in time though :shrug:

• Like 2