Airfix 1/72 Lightning F.6 OOB [DONE]

I've heard a few comments about the flash on the F6's, strange thing to find on such a new mould.

My experience is that the F2A kits seemed to be fine. The F6 kits have a bit of flash and the ejection pin areas seem to be somewhat recessed leading to a slight column.

I wonder if this is because the two kits come from different production runs. The F2As came from initial runs where there was a lot of attention to detail in the factory. The F6s came from subsequent runs. Maybe the factory in India needs to pay attention to its quality control when setting up the moulds. We may well find that subsequent runs will be perfectly fine.

Oddly enough, I have found the opposite with the Airfix Lancaster kits. The first production run was for the B.II version. The fuselage halves on my kit are quite horrifically warped. The BI/III boxing was from a subsequent production run. No warping problems there.

Sounds like a QA problem to me.

• Like 1

....I took it with me to work (I'm a dental mechanic).

At work I can use all sorts of abrasives, so whithin a lunchbreak a good dryfit was a fact!

Dave

You lucky man! Getting to work on your models at work is a luxury I can only dream of.

Mark.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it has been quit for some time, but I'm still working on the Lightnings.

Bothe fuselages are closed, and wings attatched, gaps between the fuselage and wings are filled with diluted wood glue.

IMG_4122.jpg

The moment of airbrushing is coming closer :yahoo: always love to give a model some color, it really comes alive.

Dave

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Ejectormarks are removed, but I still wasn't satisfied.

So I took a whiteboard marker, and gave the intake some colour, after dryfitting you can see where the intake doesn't fit. (I've marked the spots with green)

IMG_4109.jpg

Dave

The story continues, the exhaust didn't fit at all, so I cut some off the plastic that has to be glued in the fuselage.

Then glue the exhaust only at the rear end to te fuselage, and inside strengthen it with some pieces of sprue.

IMG_4110.jpg

Dave

I had the same fit issues with my Airfix F2A that I converted to an F1 earlier this year and I got round the problems by shaving off the flanges, front and back, that Airfix had moulded in as they actually stopped the exhaust and intake sections from sliding in fully into the fuselage. Link to my WIP here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955535-airfix-lightning-f2a-conversion-to-f1/?hl=%2Bairfix+%2Blightning+%2Bf2a

Hope that helps.

Duncan B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The moment of airbrushing is coming closer :yahoo: always love to give a model some colour, it really comes alive.

Dave

Good work to have made it thus far with two kits. I agree 100% with your sentiments on painting the model; I'll be much happier when my build is delayed by waiting for paint to dry, not choosing which grade of wet'n'dry to use next.

Andrew.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...