Airfix 1-48th Lightning

This is good stuff. You have certainly overcome one of the worst incarnations of Aires fit issues with those wheel bays. I am going to stick with this thread to see what else I can learn. Great progress so far.

Cheers,

Tom.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a small update, seem to be suffering from lack of mojo :( , and even when ive have everything seems to be going wrong :raincloud: . The way things are going just now it might end up in the KUTA group build!!.

Added the nose ring, from being a great fitted when last dry fitted to putting it on it seems to have grown? so had to blend in and re-scribe some panel lines.Drilled out the hole on the intake at the base of the tail fain. Also added the wing tip lights these gave me a headache, just didnt want to match at all so again blended in, not the best but will do me. Gave the entire frame a quick coat of primer to check for any other horrors ive missed.

006_zpscbc7afd8.jpg

Masked and added the front glazing also added the etch around it and on the cockpit sills, also fashioned a radar rubber boot in the closed position from some modelling clay and painted it a burnt black colour, not very clear in the photo.

004_zps8f838e11.jpg

Like i say dont seem to have much mojo at the mo, but will keep going even if its a little at a time, nearly ready for a coat of paint.

Cheers for looking

Darren

• Like 4

Cheers Guys

Another update, airbrushed the glare panel and front frame using Humbrol Matt 33, for some reason this took 2 days to dry.

F6 along with F4EJ sprayed black not the shine of the black i think this might have been the reason it took a couple of days to dry.

up002_zps20a87e43.jpg

after it was dry a small amount of excess glue needed to be removed

up003_zpsed8497fe.jpg

Tamiya Nato black sprayed randomly, the centre panel was masked of and sprayed with Tamiya Flat black

up005_zps49aeacb2.jpg

up006_zps9b739b69.jpg

and finally sealed in with Satin varnish, this give a better scale Matt finish than using Matt varnish

up008_zps90fdbb67.jpg

Belly tank line markings were sprayed on, these with be masked off later on.

up004_zpsbfce38e7.jpg

thats all for now, let the paint cure fully overnight then mask these areas of in prep for NMF on which i not sure how im going to tackle, Alclad route or custom mix a metal finish? hopefully my modelling gremlins have all gone.

Cheers

Darren

• Like 5

Hi Folks

Small update, firstly masked of all black areas of the airframe.

003_zpsd8a1ce1f.jpg

002_zps1c3be8f9.jpg

I painted the wheelbays with Humbrol Matt Aluminum, ready for washes and weathering later.

I was going to airbrush the entire frame using Humbrol 11 silver, but had none, so had to wait a few days before being able to pop into a hobbyshop whilst at work. I bought Silver plus Humbrol Chrome, On opening these paints, i was dismayed to find that both paints were only can be described as syrup like paint, not the usual oil on top with the Silver pigment at the bottom, i thinned the paint down for airbrushing and began.....Argh after coating one side it was obvious that the finish was not was i was after, the paint has changed from a high Silver finish to a Aluminum finish, and not a nice one at that. So arnmed with a old t shirt and thinners i stripped the paint off. interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this or did i just get a bum tin.

So the base coat i applied is Tamiya Silver thinned with Johnstones Klear.

007_zps1f496691.jpg

005_zpsc4126566.jpg

will leave this to cure, then start to pick out panels with the same paint but add white, light grey, Aluminum to change the apperance.

Cheers for Looking

Darren

• Like 7

Much as I love them Humbrol really lost the plot with their paint formulation for a long time. I've had several colours that behaved as you've experienced including a dark gloss blue that was thick and still didn't cover :weep:

You are not alone.

Looks like she's had a nosebleed in the last piccy :winkgrin: Great work so far though!

Much as I love them Humbrol really lost the plot with their paint formulation for a long time. I've had several colours that behaved as you've experienced including a dark gloss blue that was thick and still didn't cover :weep:

You are not alone.

Looks like she's had a nosebleed in the last piccy :winkgrin: Great work so far though!

Cheers good to know that, have they copied Revells horrible blend? generally only use them for washes and detail work, started using artists oils for that(wider range of colours).

Did you cut the tape masks to size or is that pre cut? Width wise.

No bought the tape from Evilbay (can be good sometimes), its called Jammydog, good price and in all sizes, sticks well. Thats the 1mm size in the pictures.

Sorry to hear about the paint problems Darren :( I suspect Hu11 is now closer to a High Speed Silver-type finish while Hu191 Chrome now replaces it.

Hi Folks

A small update, i sprayed different panels with slight different tone, trying to keep it subtle, then i removed the walkway lines and belly tank masks, these i used 1mm masking tape but to me it looks too wide, so i placed the kits decals against my lines and yes too big.

009_zps9b7fe8e0.jpg

010_zpsd8302272.jpg

in these pics ive tried to show the various metal tones

011_zpsdab54bd7.jpg

012_zps91b56512.jpg

ive started to decal her, big decals first will follow on tomorrow by adding all the stencils. I'm using Model Alliance decals for the Sqn markings and Airfix for stencils, ive noticed that the bars on the front seem oversized to me when compared to pictures of the real aircraft, the length is ok, but the width seems a little too big,

WP_20141213_004_zps4e6ee57f.jpg

underneath

014_zps6f131709.jpg

Cheers for looking

Darren

• Like 8

Sorry to hear about the paint problems Darren :( I suspect Hu11 is now closer to a High Speed Silver-type finish while Hu191 Chrome now replaces it.

I tried Hu191 too its the same, really thick syrup and no where near the colour its supposed to be.

I tried Hu191 too its the same, really thick syrup and no where near the colour its supposed to be.

Ah, bugger, that ain't good news :( Sorry to hear that.

• 3 weeks later...

You're making a great job of this one. I really like your paintwork (very effective NMF) and that you painted on the walkway lines. As it turns out you are making the exact same aircraft as I decided to go for in 1/72 scale. I agree with you that Model Alliance made the Squadron bars too wide, they did the same with the 1/72 sheet too (and IIRC from previous experience their other Lightning sheets are the same).

I look forward to seeing you finish this one.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Small update, firstly i painted the nose ring and ring around the tail cans with Tamiya semi gloss black the sprayed them with Alclad polished Aluminuim, when i removed the masking i managed to remove a small section of the Squadron bars, luckily i have spares. I think the nose ring is a little too stark compared to the body for me. Still got a lot to do to complete this and what makes it worse is ive run out of Tamiya silver to continue, a trip to Hobbycraft in Dundee is required. I am trying to get this finished on time but its going to be touch and go.

WP_20150102_006_zpscffa7d70.jpg

WP_20150102_003_zps2b21132f.jpg

WP_20150102_005_zps69f93c1a.jpg

WP_20150102_007_zpse29d717c.jpg

as you can see the Alclad painted nose ring makes the body appear as if it is painted in light greys.

Cheers

Darren

• Like 5