309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG)

A year or two ago I got a cheap`ish old Monogram F-4J which probably dated back to the early Jurassic period.

Once received, I opened the box to find a number of issues the main one being that it had more Warp than the Starship Enterprise and even Scotty couldn`t really save it.

So it ended up in the spares box doomed to a lonely life with only a broken Meteor and half a Canberra for company.

Moving on to the present and for a recent Phantom GB I had an idea for what I could do with that dodgy Phantom.

I came up with this.......,

F-4J Phantom II
309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG)

IMG_2903_zpsa248e47c.jpg

IMG_2917_zps2d66dae0.jpg

IMG_2918_zps7be772e0.jpg

IMG_2920_zpsdbda3329.jpg

IMG_2922_zps6b86364e.jpg

IMG_2923_zps36ec96ee.jpg

Now before you ask this is more an experimental build to find out how far with limited materials I could get to make it look run down in open storage.

The markings are fictional with much of what you see scratch built.

The water marks are a mix of dark enamels and watered down dark wash.

The faded out markings have been lightly painted over, allowed to dry for a minute or two and then gently rubbed off to effect.

The spraylat effect is quite simply PTFE thread seal tape which if done properly, (and much better than my effort), could give an excellent effect.

Think that`s pretty much about it from memory and certainly an enjoyable way to reuse an old tired kit that wasn`t fit for purpose.

Edited by tc2324
  • Like 11

What a brilliant setting, I love it!

I've always looked at picture from the boneyard and wanted to do something like this. :thumbsup:

Me too! Not sure what type of aircraft though, to many to choose from!

Nice build too :) Saw this on UKAR.