HobbyBoss 1:48 A-7E Corsair II

Here's my latest, I tried some new techniques for panel lines, frankly with mixed success.......

4aa7b0bb0ceed767ca7351786e1d9ab1.jpg

I preshaded, but then put too much paint on and lost most of it, I tried dry brushing pastel chalks, I liked this technique and I'll try it again, tho next time I'll use a darker colour and put more on but it was effective up to a point. I also tried a wash consisting of enamel and lighter fuel cleaned with oil paint thinners. Again this wasn't too successful but I think I had too much fluid to paint and too much oil paint thinners on my cotton bud, but I'll try this again too.

b57f77de58e0ba92814def666b183612.jpg

Built out of the box with the addition of an Eduard self adhesive cockpit etch set. The kit doesn't offer the option of canopy open but I couldn't resist.....

8c2174ed44256959a4dfe206b8fb5117.jpg

I must admit I struggled a bit with the undercarriage, but did my best to get it all to fit....

4f72c874693a4a15d171462fc481381a.jpg

I love the colourful scheme from the maiden voyage of USS Nimitz to Europe, 1975. I took advice from other members about the weapons load and eventually selected what I thought would be a reasonable "peacetime" training load of ordnance.

There was a very pronounced mould line along the centre line on top of the cockpit which I took on with some trepidation but a light touch of of 1500 sponge sander and a polish with gs27 car Polish on a cotton bud took it out wonderfully, another first for me and I was pleased with the result.

b6ff55914e3e70def90b26823112399e.jpg

Overall I'm pleased and some new techniques tried which maybe not quite successful but I'll try again next time which will be the Italeri A-4 E/F/G Skyhawk.

04f56df6dce07701c40a767c307d21e6.jpg

The kit fit was very good, but I found the kit decals thin and fragile and TBH I wrote off one completely (can you spot it?), I'm coming to the conclusion that Revell Decal Soft may not be the best decal application medium and am thinking of trying Micro Sol/Set.

EDIT Just realised I missed out painting the nav. lights! Another OOPS, oh well all my kits seem to have one.......must go back and sort that.......

adc644b766f13b91df8e96f1c8093fdf.jpg

As ever comments and especially advice are welcome.

BestWishes

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 8

looks nice, but i can't spot the written off decal

Ah yes, sorry about that, have added a pic of the starboard side.......I found the decals came off their backing paper very quickly and if you got them right first time were great, however, if you wanted to manoeuvre them they had an annoying habit of folding up upon themselves. Sometimes dunking them back underwater and applying two brushes could straighten them out, but on one occasion the decal just rolled up and died........I left it off.

The ""DANGER" part of the air intake decal on the starboard side also self destructed.....I'm sorry, I gave up on it!

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

It may be the decal, but I see a joint line on the upper fuselage. And painting the beacons and wingtip lights would add to the model. I don't do much weathering, but have had good luck with oil washes. Provided the surface is glossy, you can work them for hours or even remove them completely.

It may be the decal, but I see a joint line on the upper fuselage. And painting the beacons and wingtip lights would add to the model. I don't do much weathering, but have had good luck with oil washes. Provided the surface is glossy, you can work them for hours or even remove them completely.

The large upper orange lozenge decal comes in two halves joined along the join line on the fuse. I fitted it very accurately I thought and it went on well, with no apparent join. However it dried back to leave a line, perhaps where it overlapped slightly? (Or just a dodgy panel line!). In any event having been prompted to take another look at it, you're right! It needed attention. Luckily Humbrol 18 Gloss was an exact match and it's now sorted, thanks for pointing that out and making me go back to it, it looks much better now.

I have now painted the beacon and nav. lights!

and the pitot tubes?

Good point! I should have realised that I had not fitted any pitot tube(s). However having retrieved the leftover sprues and instructions from my spares box (I don't throw anything away) and studied the instructions there are no pitots supplied. They are not mantioned nor pictured on the assembly instructions, nor pictured on the colour scheme/decal sheet. I have gone through all the unused parts which remain and there are no pitot tubes on the sprues

So I conclude, no pitot tubes are supplied with this kit which seems an odd omission but there it is nonetheless????

Bizarrely they are clearly depicted on the box art.

One day I may get around to scratch building them......

The missing decal? VA-86 from stbd. rear fuse.

BTW apologies for the rather confusing appearance of this post, my first attempt at multi quote...........I don't think I've quite got the hang of it..........

Best regards

TonyS

Regards

Edited by dhdove

Looks great to me, very colourful. I can't see a seam line personally but if it is there then don't be too hard on yourself about it; hiding seam lines is one of the hardest things to master in my opinion, especially when you are going for a shinier finish.