Irish Air Corps Fouga

Just finished tonight My 1/72 Heller fouga, its made straight out of box (marks models special IAC decals ) except for the antenna, super kit to build great fun , used to see these doing the live firing many moons ago down at the range in Gormanston, and of course the display team the silver swallows, also a few WIP pics to start off with but enough blab, hope you enjoy , pics don't do it justice , comments are always welcome,

DSCN1037_zps91d0385e.jpg

DSCN1047_zpsbe432d8d.jpgDSCN1052_zps0577c8e3.jpgDSCN5616_zps05c1bbde.jpgDSCN5618_zpsa1a3da28.jpgDSCN5621_zps2f396c87.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Dan:

Just another nice irish plane!!!

Its nice to have the wonderful pleassure of looking at your work, just take care and a lot of patience to get better results and try another techniques of the modelling art to make your work better and better again, and please, continue working and don't stop building, is just the way how you can learn many more dexterities of this fine and wonderful art of scale modeling and continue recreating and making historic planes of your wonderful country!!!

What is next???

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Looks nice overall. Just the red intakes look a bit wiggly. Did you use some masking tape to paint them? The orange colors looks like glowing in the dark :D The canopy appears to be rather thick, isn't it?

Edited by Luftwaffe
  • Like 1

Looks nice overall. Just the red intakes look a bit wiggly. Did you use some masking tape to paint them? The orange colors looks like glowing in the dark :D The canopy appears to be rather thick, isn't it?

thanks for your comment , the masking tape i used bled a little hence the wiggly lines , the flash is a bit strong so IL take a few more pics in natural sunlight but i think its fine, , it is very thick i agree it doesn't come with the option to have the canopy open so its the standard canopy just cut up and there is no real way of making it a bit thinner without scratching it to bits :) any tips would be great ..

Dan

Hi Dan:

Just another nice irish plane!!!

Its nice to have the wonderful pleassure of looking at your work, just take care and a lot of patience to get better results and try another techniques of the modelling art to make your work better and better again, and please, continue working and don't stop building, is just the way how you can learn many more dexterities of this fine and wonderful art of scale modeling and continue recreating and making historic planes of your wonderful country!!!

What is next???

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

thanks for your wonderful comment Luis,

im in the middle of building one of our Irish spitfires (TR9) in all over green, should be finished and up on this in a week or so, also im in the middle of doing a curtis warhawk trying out new techniques like weathering which i never really done before but really enjoying the challenge, Thanks Again

Dan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's really nice! Is this the kit Airfix have re-released?

I believe they have re-released the kit yea but as far as I know the wing tanks are he smaller ones and not right for the Irish one .

• Like 1

I am sure there was some discussion on this site about the wingtip tanks a few weeks/months ago - if I remember correctly both types of tanks were used dependant on the range required - ie for flights to Europe the large tanks would be fitted but for local displays the smaller tanks were used.

The best reference source would be Joe Maxwell's monograph on the Fouga but mine is away with my son who on night duty tonight so I can't check quickly - should never have let him keep his front door key when he left home!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The dayglo /international orange/red varied with the time frame up to the latter days when it was a more stable base and didn't react to light as violently so its spot on.

The smaller tanks are indeed correct, the bigger tanks were used occasionally and once upon a time they flew without tanks, but it changed the handling characteristics so markedly that they never repeated the practise.

The silver colour overall is of a painted finish and not NFM and again was sensitive to weather and time so interpretation is fine.

My prefered model of the CM170 is the new Kinetic 1/48th one , although has its vices can be made into a nice representitive FougaDSCF1213.JPG

• Like 2

Smaller tanks are correct rarely were the bigger ones fitted. Only one Fouga 219 was flown without tip tanks IMG_0508_zpsdea1da98.jpg?t=1416817134

To Be fair to Dan he did get the inner wing tip dayglo correct many different shades of fading of dayglo between services.

IMG_0511_zpsad38e7fa.jpg?t=1416817163

Pictures are of Fox Tango -216 when it was on display in National Museum Clarke square Collins Barracks Dublin . This site has a genuine IAC Miles Magister 34 and ex RAF Vampire T11 which was used as an IAC instructional rig (198) worth a look if your in Dublin

Yes Darby two guns in nose if you look closely you can see them in picture above & two rocket pods underneath wings on hardpoints

When Dan was younger we used to walk down Laytown beach to Gormanston Aerodrome & Firing range (Ben Head) to see Fouga's and Marchetti's firing at targets out to sea & Cessna's towing drogues for Ground to Air Gunners.

It's Pilatus PC-9s firing now but the Cessna's are still used in the target towing role