Airfix 1/72 Harrier Gr.7 (old tool)

So this is a Harrier Gr.7 scratch built out of milliput, Vallejo filler and Tamiya putty. I filled the gaps between the fillers with the Airfix Harrier Gr.7 kit (old tool).

This is one of the first models I started when I got back into the hobby 2-3 years ago, and has only now been finished. As it was the old tool, I decided I'd use it as a practice kit (filling, sanding, weather etc), but encountered so many problems, it frequently got placed on the shelf of doom...

In truth, the fit was actually pretty good over all, but where it didn't fit, it was a nightmare (air intake, wing roots underneath), particularly the canopy with was too wide. I must commend Airfix though, I broke the first canopy trying to squeeze it onto the model; they sent me a replacement FOC in the post within 2 days. Top work that.

I left some missiles off, basically the weapons were an additional item to the original tool of this aircraft (I guess) and as a result did not fit on any of the pylons. The weapons that are on there I drilled out and fitted with a tiny copper rod, but I lost interest by the time I got to the missiles....

So, here she is, tips and constructive criticism greatly appreciated.

DSCF6461_zpsd55527d2.jpg

DSCF6463_zps6d0e4095.jpg

DSCF6464_zpse3bfb7f9.jpg

DSCF6465_zpse1b216c1.jpg

DSCF6466_zps1814b38c.jpg

DSCF6467_zps99b26d30.jpg

DSCF6468_zps871023b7.jpg

I think the one thing I did learn from this practice kit was that if there is a nice, new tooled, highly praised kit (Airfix, Revell/Has) for just a couple of quid more, don't bother with the old one! But I'm fairly pleased with the end result.

Many thanks,

Val
  • Like 12

Well worth all the effort Val, looks superb I must have a go at a Harrier one day the last one I built was Matchbox,s 1/72 kit and that,s when it was

new!!!

• Like 1

I didn't know that milliput made such a nice Harrier. Seriously well done on the old Airfix kit. You should treat yourself to the new tool one as a reward - you'll finish it in about eight seconds after all your experience with this one.

Also, very cool shark mouth.

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 1

Well ........a very aggressive and ready looking Harrier indeed!

I like it a lot....congratulations.

Massive detail for 1/72 and very tastily done.

Looking at it I can tell the decals/stencils would have definitely put me over the edge....but you've done them justice along with awesome weathering

Well done

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your really kind comments, it's really appreciated and I'm glad you like her!

Even though it's the old-tool kit, you've still got a corker of a finished piece on your hands. Fantastic job there.

And besides, a Harrier is a Harrier! No such thing as a bad Harrier ;)

Daryl.

Thanks Daryl, you're spot on, you can't have too many harriers, what wonderful aircraft they are!

I didn't know that milliput made such a nice Harrier. Seriously well done on the old Airfix kit. You should treat yourself to the new tool one as a reward - you'll finish it in about eight seconds after all your experience with this one.

Also, very cool shark mouth.

Thanks! I have a new tooled one in the stash and will be doing it imminently. It does look a different world in terms of detail! I do love the sharks mouth as well, and was thinking of saving these decals for the new tool kit (but obviously didn't, lol!)

Lovely job Val. Its a nice kit for the time I have build a few over the years nice and solid once made too.

They look cool in grey.

Cheers Rob ;)

Cheers Rob, Dragon Vulcan is up next; I've been clicking through your builds for help and inspiration :)

Well ........a very aggressive and ready looking Harrier indeed!

I like it a lot....congratulations.

Massive detail for 1/72 and very tastily done.

Looking at it I can tell the decals/stencils would have definitely put me over the edge....but you've done them justice along with awesome weathering

Well done

Thanks, very kind! This kit had a lot of faults, but I have to say the decals performed brilliantly!

• Like 1