This will be my contribution....for money, time, effort, curses, swearing, and love of the hobby!

6B418132-AE97-412C-BF56-CCE5DEDCBF6F_zps

I have also ordered some more bits for it which are due this week. I will post pics when they come. One of those will be a decal sheet so I can then decide which bird to model. I was going to do an all-metal affair with a white spine and fin, but I may be tempted to the dark side by a black-finned 74 Sqn little minx... I will see! Meanwhile, I have made a start, thus... Toothpick is for scale

6CCB75F0-273E-46CC-B9EA-0BD456DD2EE3_zps

Notice the pedals are offset? This will be reflected in the rudder when the separate control surfaces pack arrives.

2664618B-9E60-45FD-8FF4-8EC79E868DCF_zps

• Like 4

3BBA4AA7-BC96-49A1-B867-3ACE1B22F805_zps

Some more goodies for it. Still yet to decide which machine t depict but it will either be the 74sqn one seen on the front of the Xtradecal sheet, or XR753 in natural metal/white spine & fin. Only thing left to get now is the metal u/c legs.

• Like 1

Current state of play after today...

null_zps553ca781.jpg

null_zps93fe7ca2.jpg

There is the Aires nose bay in this, although, for some bizarre reason, I didn't cut the bay out all the way to the back. Only later I noticed there was a separate part that is meant to go on the back of it, but I couldn't be bothered to cut it off after it was glued, so I'll just go with the kit bit, as it's needed to mount the leg in later!

D3080647-A2B9-49EF-8385-A6420555F48F_zps

And these have been primed with Alclad black primer. Tomorrow they will get a coat of gloss black before adding a metal coat later. Vast improvement over the kit items!

null_zps4b650b5f.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks chaps. I can see a lot of time being taken up just sanding the Aires sets down... I mean the wing u/c bays alone are twice as deep as the moulded kit versions, for example!

Have a set of those u/c bays in a Grand Phoenix F.6 kit and not sure they'll get used. More work to fit them than scratchbuilding the detail myself!

• Like 1

After four more hours in the Sanity Shed today...

null_zps268dfb6c.jpg

The tub required a lot of thinning of the plastic sidewalls and a smidge off the top of the intake trunking.

null_zps69445898.jpg

Weight was added care of blu-tak. The instrument panel coming was not fixed at this point.

null_zps5bcf7408.jpg

Filler was added along the sill between the tub and fuselage side.

null_zps2e5c5519.jpg

The tailpipes were painted using Alclad dark aluminium, Steel and burnt Iron. These were then put together and added to the kit

null_zps89a5a5fc.jpg

To add rigidity to both the pipes and the fuselage, I reversed the kit-supplied bulkhead and glued the pipes to it

null_zps4439c8c1.jpg

Drilling out the airbrakes for the CMK resin versions.

null_zpsf066e6b9.jpg

Very glad I have a dremel!

null_zpsa11295ea.jpg

Both holes opened up and tidied up with sanding sticks. Note the thinned-down plastic!

null_zps94ef2a6c.jpg

Fixed in, not too bad

null_zps271c580c.jpg

Internal view. I added some resin sprue lengths before flooding with super glue, as I don't want them falling into the body later on!

D655F84E-E534-4448-B92A-00EF47230B75_zps

Fuselage sides joined. This shot shows the filled/un-filled gaps around the cockpit tub. Also note I have removed the bang seat handles as they were exposed to all sorts of abuse

920B9C2F-73F2-418D-A811-4D9EAC414C53_zps

F2AACD68-1DD1-4EA2-9437-DF6FD2865AEB_zps

59ECD22C-87A2-4420-98B7-F124544D5BFB_zps

Joints filled. The nose ring was actually more circular (yes I know!) than the nose of the fuselage so more filler was needed here. That's it probably for this week as back to work tomorrow!

Edited by jasman71
  • Like 4

That's an excellent start, I shall pinch your idea for the reversed bulkhead as I'm replacing the kit ones as well. Love the cockpit paintwork especially.

I've been working on my Aires undercarriage tonight and you'll find your Dremel very useful! I ended up with rather thin upper wing surfaces so made up some Milliput added water to soften it and put it inside the wing with clingfilm on the undercarriage bay top. Should give a solid result without risking the wing surface collapsing.

That's an excellent start, I shall pinch your idea for the reversed bulkhead as I'm replacing the kit ones as well. Love the cockpit paintwork especially.

I've been working on my Aires undercarriage tonight and you'll find your Dremel very useful! I ended up with rather thin upper wing surfaces so made up some Milliput added water to soften it and put it inside the wing with clingfilm on the undercarriage bay top. Should give a solid result without risking the wing surface collapsing.

Thanks I may have to try that! Was looking at possibly reducing the thickness of the replacement bay walls by a couple of mils to see if that would make things easier.

EDIT: when you reverse the bulkhead, don't forget to cut out an identical notch to the big one opposite for the turbine exhaust moulding.

Edited by jasman71
  • Like 1

great stuff - could i ask where you got the canopy mask, been looking, the Lightning Canopy is quite fraught!

Certainly - from Hannants. They have the Montex and Eduard masks for it there

• Like 1