GRUMANN F-9F8-T - Kitty Hawk - 1/48

- This is the last Kitty Hawk issue. Well, it look good but in fact it is a trouble some kit to built mostly on the dorsal spine.It has to fit on the top of the wings. K-H has designed a system of pins and slots, at first it seems a good idea but the spine shape does not match those on the wings top, I elected to cut the pins and glue the parts in the conventionnal manner.

- The panels lines are irregularly engraved their depth on the wings is not the same on the top and bottom and from one to the other (is it an exemple) and some are missing notably the hand holds and foot steps and at last but not the least, my usual cement didn't work, I had to rely on MEK and Cyano, but this doesn't matter are we modellers or not ?

024_zpsbe2cb233.jpg
023_zpse22846b6.jpg

016_zps9d2095a8.jpg
015_zps2393b505.jpg
014_zps64c967e2.jpg
010_zps381e82a5.jpg
008_zpsd0885408.jpg
  • Like 10

Well it looks like a Cougar. Nice work on an ignored aircraft. The wings should not be vertical on the F9F-8. I only know this because I have the Detail and Scale Cougar book on my ipad. Great reference.

• Like 1

Well it looks like a Cougar. Nice work on an ignored aircraft. The wings should not be vertical on the F9F-8. I only know this because I have the Detail and Scale Cougar book on my ipad. Great reference.

- Yes, you're right, they are slightly outward canted, It requires some additionnal work to fix them in the correct position and in the same time , give the whole assembly enough strength to stand transport stress to exhibition spots.I've choosen the folded wing configuration to avoid the suspected problem with a problematic joint between the fix and folding parts of the wing in the unfolded configuration.....

• 2 weeks later...

I didn`t even know that anybody had done a two seater and yours looks superb, I like the canopy slid all the way back it looks great. Considering that you had problems I wouldn`t have known if you had not mentioned anything and you cannot tell,....... it is just a very nice looking model in a fantastic paint scheme,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1