Kinetic's Shar2

Mike

I'd like to invite you chaps to have a looksee at my review here and discuss the pros & cons of the kit, whilst keeping a reasonable balance, and hopefully build into a reference thread to super-detailing your Shar2. Where you find a problem, lets think of a reasonable solution rather than just have a moan. Pictures, evidence and common sense are all welcome ;)

Does this mean you're going to do a review build then.....

We could do at lot worse than to start with Nicks fantastic build notes for the Airfix kit from the Sig

http://harriersig.org.uk/models/sharfa21_48buildnotesv20.pdf

Obviously the fixes relevant to that kit aren't relevant, like intake fix, but there's a wealth of small details that may or may not be present.

Edited by SaintsPhil

You never know... it's incredibly tempting :unsure:

Thanks for your comments about the longer airbrake and single HUD being for the FRS.1 on the other thread :)

• Like 1

They're available now from Lucky Model, but how long the slow boat will take to bring them to the UK is anyone's guess... perhaps ask Hannants? :shrug:

• Like 1

I have one on order from LM. The first thing that is coming off is those thick vortex generators. They were blooming thin in real life, the moulded ones are more like dragmasters.

• Like 1

I have one on order from LM. The first thing that is coming off is those thick vortex generators. They were blooming thin in real life, the moulded ones are more like dragmasters.

Hopefully something that'll be included on the inevitable Eduard set!

As long as they come with a template. At least when we'd accidentally knocked them off, there was a mark in the paint to position a new one.

• Like 1

I got mine on Saturday and WOW, it is lovely. Considering a start on it, but who knows with me. The moulding is up there with their new Magister kit, lovley, and the parts breakdown looks real simple, highly recommended indeed.

I'll agree with Kev after seeing one on Sat. A nice looking kit indeed. How it measures up against plans though is the big question, for that we will have to wait ;)

I got mine when it was first available from LM and been working away at the kit now for a while,

Fit is not up to the standard of Tamiya and a few areas needed some careful thought before committing the glue.

The main issue I had was the fitting of the one part upper wing that required filler and re-scribing but nothing major.

We are modellers after all are we not?

Here is a pic of the progress last week, she is now painted and awaiting weathering.

Enjoy the kit I think its pretty good.

Rick G.

nilEcw.jpg

• Like 7

One question - did the SHAR2's ailerons droop? I saw the instructions on my copy before it hovered into the stash and wondered, but seeing one in build I'm wondering some more...I don't think that the GR3's did from memory, but I have found some mention of droop on the plastic ones (GR5 onwards)

Regards

Tim

No they don't droop. The PFCUs, powered flying control units prevent this.

So do i need to change them and the flaps on my model,

Must admitt to "following the instructions" on this one

Regards

Rick

You will have to change your ailerons, but you can leave the flaps down if you want, although they were normally retracted before the pilot shut the engine down.

You will have to change your ailerons, but you can leave the flaps down if you want, although they were normally retracted before the pilot shut the engine down.

Yeah thought as much,

Thanks for the info I will leave the flaps as they are,

hoping it dosent destroy too much paint work,

So there we have point one in the dont do list,

Rick G

One question - did the SHAR2's ailerons droop? I saw the instructions on my copy before it hovered into the stash and wondered, but seeing one in build I'm wondering some more...I don't think that the GR3's did from memory, but I have found some mention of droop on the plastic ones (GR5 onwards)

Regards

Tim

Yes the later aircraft had droop ailerons (I'm not up on early aircraft), but note the droop angle is only small. Here's a shot of an AV-8B with flaps down and ailerons drooping.

050507-N-0295M-034.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Canopy and windshield don't look right to me - lacking in height and probably sitting slightly too low on the fuselage. The latter would be correctable but the former would require new canopy parts. Rest of the model looks very nice!

Yes the later aircraft had droop ailerons (I'm not up on early aircraft), but note the droop angle is only small. Here's a shot of an AV-8B with flaps down and ailerons drooping.

An AV-8B is not a SHAR. Plus that aircraft is in flight, whereas the question relates to the aircraft when shut-down on the ground.

• Like 1