Revell 1/72nd scale Merlin engined Halifax B.Mk.II- converted- FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Pete,

Glad you like it mate,.....I know what you mean about the front firewalls and mine took quite a while to get into place, they keep falling in don`t they? I found that pushing them into place in the already constructed nacelles with equal pressure at the top and bottom trying to keep them level worked fine though. It you are struggling you could cement lips of scap plastic sprue inside the nacelles for them to butt up against through,..just an idea?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony. Build looks great so far looking forward to more.

I noticed the Pegasus artwork on the Halifax looks a lot like the Pegasus used by the Mobil Oil company years ago - do you have any info on that?

Mobiloil-Aero_zps5c6763c9.jpg

Just asking because the Air Cadet squadrion I help out with is "569 Brock" but also known as "569 Pegasus" and I'm interested on the link to this RCAF Halifax.

Cheers

Bill

Hiya Bill,

To be honest it probably was based on the Mobil logo,...I was thinking that myself too as it really is very similar,...but I`ve not found anything conclusive to prove it.As you know lots of nose art was based on various logo`s from those times,...and also on the Vargos ladies from magazines and calendars and even nowadays it still goes on,......most of the British Gulf War 1 nose art came from Vis magazine which was extremely popular in the forces a the time,...everybody had nicknames from it and mine was `the Brown Bottle', especially on a Friday morning after a Thursday night out!

All the best mate,

Tony

Thanks fella`s,

After a bit of a break on this one all of the seams have been sanded smooth and although the Freightdog resin radiators are in place the remaining plastic parts of the engine cowling`s have been sanded to make them look slightly more narrow and less bulbous. With that the propellers have been cleaned up and test fitted and the resin air scoops have been attached to the side of the engines and above the inboard pair too having removed the puny strip found here on the kit,.....compare the Freightdog propeller shape with the laughable attempt by Revell!;

DSCF2000_zpsae1c3665.jpg

Here the wings have been test fitted to the fuselage and it is now time to start putting some paint on!;

DSCF2003_zpsd0c55fb3.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edit- I need to double check whether to retain the fuselage porthole above the wings or not,.....my task for tonight!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Thats coming along nicely Tony. Did you fix the resin to the nacelles before fitting them to the wings? Not sure if it's a critical step or not.....

From what I've seen, I think you should have the over wing porthole, there are a few pics in Merrick which support it. However, the example i'm building just might be an exception.........

Thanks lads,

Neil- Great news about the Z Nose,........that`s definitely going onto my shopping list x 2 at least,...I want to do a 10 Sqn one with a shark mouth and the famous Canadian one with the Metro Goldwyn Winged Lion on the nose. I did the Matchbox kit with those decals but it just didn`t look right on that model.

Pete- I attached the resin chin intakes to the kit cowling`s before they were fitted to the wings but it doesn`t matter either way. Cheers for the info re the porthole,.....I got sidetracked with the reference hunting as I ended up watching a film with the missus,......`The Love Punch',.......really funny for those of us of a certain age,....ie over 40!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks lads,

Neil- Great news about the Z Nose,........that`s definitely going onto my shopping list x 2 at least,...I want to do a 10 Sqn one with a shark mouth and the famous Canadian one with the Metro Goldwyn Winged Lion on the nose. I did the Matchbox kit with those decals but it just didn`t look right on that model.

Pete- I attached the resin chin intakes to the kit cowling`s before they were fitted to the wings but it doesn`t matter either way. Cheers for the info re the porthole,.....I got sidetracked with the reference hunting as I ended up watching a film with the missus,......`The Love Punch',.......really funny for those of us of a certain age,....ie over 40!

Cheers

Tony

I'm guessing you mean 10 Sqn's JB910 with the shark mouth. I'll be doing that too when Colin produces the Z nose. My wife's cousin flew in her as bomb aimer in the spring of 1943. I was intending to do it for this GB, but I'm not sure I'll have the time now.

Edit. Or I might, depending when Colin releases the promised Z nose :)

Edited by chaddy
  • Like 2

Yes Chaddy thats the Z Nose which I have in mind, great family link and I hope that he survived the war? Ever since I saw a photo in the book `Melbourne Ten' when I was a kiddie (it was a library book!) I`ve always wanted to model this aircraft.I was often flown by Flt. Lt. Broadbanks but Sqn Ldr Baird also flew it too and there is a photo of him and his crew plus the groundcrew in front of this aircraft on page 42 of this book, having flown 8 operations. There are decals on Xtradecal sheet X72146 in case you didn`t already know, although the instructions incorrectly state that the aircraft was based at Leeming?

I`ve begun to paint my Halifax now alongside the Ventura and have finished the Dark Earth coats ready to apply the Dark Green disruptive pattern. After that I`ll mask off the upper surfaces and use a Tamiya rattle can to apply the Night finish. To make this easier I`ve left off the tail fins and wings for now and will add these after the model has been painted.

Cheers

Tony

Yes Chaddy thats the Z Nose which I have in mind, great family link and I hope that he survived the war? Ever since I saw a photo in the book `Melbourne Ten' when I was a kiddie (it was a library book!) I`ve always wanted to model this aircraft.I was often flown by Flt. Lt. Broadbanks but Sqn Ldr Baird also flew it too and there is a photo of him and his crew plus the groundcrew in front of this aircraft on page 42 of this book, having flown 8 operations. There are decals on Xtradecal sheet X72146 in case you didn`t already know, although the instructions incorrectly state that the aircraft was based at Leeming?

I`ve begun to paint my Halifax now alongside the Ventura and have finished the Dark Earth coats ready to apply the Dark Green disruptive pattern. After that I`ll mask off the upper surfaces and use a Tamiya rattle can to apply the Night finish. To make this easier I`ve left off the tail fins and wings for now and will add these after the model has been painted.

Cheers

Tony

This the pic you mean Tony?

HalifaxJB910_zps8d8e8507.jpeg

I do have the decals and have spotted the wrong description. The decals depict her as ZA-J. Prior to that she was coded ZA-R which is the version I'll be looking to build. There is no date given for that photograph which is a bit crucial for me. My intention is to model her as she appeared on 16/17th April 1943. She was taken on charge by 10 Sqn on 31 March 1943, so obviously for my purposes the 8 ops shown on the photograph and decals is too many. Secondly that photograph states the mid upper turret has been fitted. On the 16/17 April she did not have the turret. So the big question really (for me at least) is when did the shark mouth and eyes get painted on her nose? I'm still looking into this.

And thanks, my wife's cousin did survive, picking up the DFC on the way. On the night in question JB910 was being flown by an Australian, Bill Virgo, and his crew…minus their usual bomb aimer. That's where my wife's cousin comes in, it was his first op with them, but not his last. His usual aircraft was HR691(nicknamed "KIWI").

Thats the one Chaddy, great stuff and I`m glad he survived,....DFC and all,..cannot be bad! I was going to tell you about the turret comment but as you know already that is sound as a pound. There is a bigger version of the photo depicting more of the aircraft in the book `Halifax' by Merrick and funnily enough there was another Halifax with 102 Sqn named `Ceylon' (DY-G) which had very similar mouth and eyes artwork too,..photo on page 94-From Hull, Hell & Halifax!

If I were you I`d build it with the artwork and maybe 3-4 ops on the nose and as per the 10 Sqn book leave off the mid upper turret.

Here is a quick update on the model,....I know I said I wouldn`t but I thought I`d better mention this;

DSCF2015_zpsaba699be.jpg

I`ve added the framework found under the rear canopy section covering the Flight Engineers position using circular section plastic rod. Sorry for the poor photo but I took it at night.

Cheers

Tony

Well it has been a while but here is my latest update!

The standard night bomber camouflage has been applied using Pollyscale Dark Earth and Dark Green applied by brush and for the Night undersides and sides a rattle can of Tamiya Semi Gloss Black was used as it dries nice and smooth and is quicker than applying multiple coats over such a large surface by brush! Over this has been applied a coat of Humbrol 35 Gloss Varnish,..this time using a large wide brush and the Xtradecals can be seen ready to be applied;

DSCF2078_zps38cf36fc.jpg

All the best for now,

Tony

• Like 3

Hey mate, you've been bust she looks very good indeed and the Humbrol gloss has brushed out very well indeed. It's going to look a cracker once you've got the marking on.

I think you've hit the head on the nail (or vicey verso) with mention of a wide brush for the gloss coat. I've now found out different brushes have different application but only since I took up painting again.

Colin

Cheers lads,.

Here is another update,.....the decals are on!;

DSCF2088_zps75c8b147.jpg

I`ve also got a set of Quickboost resin exhausts which I`ll photograph next time,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1