Revell 1/72nd scale Merlin engined Halifax B.Mk.II- converted- FINISHED

tonyot

I didn`t know that Colin had the Z Nose Tollerton fairing conversion so thanks for the heads up Neil,....I`ve just ordered two!

Latest update- First coat of Matt finish applied and weathering in progress with a watercolour wash highlighting the panel lines. The resin exhausts can also be seen here prior to painting;

DSCF2093_zps0cf6fe8b.jpg

Thats all for now,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Wow this is looking great Tony. When you mention watercolour wash do you mean the Flory models wash or is it just watercolour paints mixed ?

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris, glad you like it,......no I just mean basic watercolour paint,....I usually buy it in tubes from WH Smiths and they last for ages,....plus you can mix them and say use black and dark umber or paynes grey,......I started off using my son`s watercolour set when he was a kiddie!

Cheers

Tony

Tony

Your Halifax looks great!

You mentioned earlier in your post that you intend to build the Airborne MkV (hardly surprising with your Avatar!) with Aeroclub parts. Do you know if the Aeroclub 4 blade props and the kit Dowty undercarriage will fit the Aeroclub conversion parts? Presumably the latter would need trimming down to fit, what I presume to be narrower nacelles?

Thanks

James

Hiya James,

I actually had a word with John Adams at Telford about that very same query and he assured me that the 4 bladed metal propellers designed for the old Matchbox kit should fit the new Aeroclub update cowling parts and a very basic comparison of the component parts since I returned home would seem to confirm this,......l`ve yet to fit them against a set of built up cowling`s yet though. As for the Mk.V undercarriage,......I assume it will still fit OK?

Glad you like the model so far,......hopefully I`ll get some more done on it soon,

Cheers

Tony

I`m ratling on with this one tonight, undercarriage, props, turrets etc are now fitted and hopefully it will be finished tomorrow when I can take some pics using daylight,.....fingers crossed,

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,

Well it is finally finished!! Here is my second finished bomber for this group build, the Revell H.P. Halifax B.II Series Ia using the Freightdog Models conversion parts and finished in the markings of JP113, NA-A, `Git Up Them Stairs' from 428 (Ghost) Sqn RCAF at RAF Middleton St George.

In the reference photo of the real aircraft it isn`t carrying a Vickers K Gun in the nose but I chose to fit one anyway using a spare one from the spare parts box even though it meant drilling a hole for it through the dreadful nose glazing,.....I do wish that somebody would do a spare one as along with the Revell B-17 it has a ring around the inside due to the over thick plastic that is used!

DSCF2249_zpsa2e6f067.jpg

DSCF2251_zpsa1894bea.jpg

DSCF2252_zps9505a838.jpg

H1-pegasusgetupthemstairs_zpsfa42c7d2.jp

The model is dedicated to the memory of the 24 year old recently commissioned rear gunner Pilot Officer Arthur `Artie' Shaw who died a few hours after crash landing in this Halifax after suffering a fractured skull and he was buried on the 28th April 1944 at St. Anne-in-the-Grove Churchyard, Southowram near Halifax in West Yorkshire (Sec. 1884. Row G. Grave 43). It was he who took the above photo.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Another absolute stunner Tony, as usual you've nailed the construction, paint & weathering! Superb job! Another great build thread too, really useful for inspiration for when I get around to mine - thanks for taking the time to post!

Excellent job all round - top bombing in fact!!

keith

Absolutely beautiful. I am always amazed at your builds. Makes me want to tackle some of the Bomber Command kits I have in the stash, while at the same time is a bit daunting as I do not think I can ever measure up to your fine builds. Thanks for the inspiration and fear!!

Thanks everybody,...glad you like it. Now that Colin at Freightdog has released his Tollerton Fairing or ` Z Nose' conversion guess what I`m building next,.....you guessed it,.......another Halifax!!!! In fact I`ve bought 2 sets so I`m on the lookout for another Revell Halibag!

George,...nothing to be fearful of,..it is only a hobby after all! Go on, drag one out and start a thread,....you`ll be encouraged all the way and you don`t have to match up to any standards, just enjoy yourself! You`ll find that the encouragement will really buoy you up and you will soon start upping your game well above what you ever thought you could when you are posting things for other people to see,......you start taking more care about what you are doing when before you might have just slapped something together,.....that is how I found it anyway.

Cheers everybody,

Tony

• Like 2

Another beaut here Tony, bags of inspiration though not a little trepidation, you've set the bar pretty darn high. :) I've got the Freightdog correction set on the way & the Revell kit recently purchased in stock, Just gotta find the time & space now. :(

Steve.

Another beaut here Tony, bags of inspiration though not a little trepidation, you've set the bar pretty darn high. :) I've got the Freightdog correction set on the way & the Revell kit recently purchased in stock, Just gotta find the time & space now. :(

Steve.

Just dive in and build it Steve,...you`ll enjoy it and that is the main thing. I for one would love to see your Halibag mate, more the merrier I say! Speaking of space,....I don`t know where I`m going to put mine yet as the cabinet is full and I`ve gone and started another!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Tony

Your Halifax looks great!

You mentioned earlier in your post that you intend to build the Airborne MkV (hardly surprising with your Avatar!) with Aeroclub parts. Do you know if the Aeroclub 4 blade props and the kit Dowty undercarriage will fit the Aeroclub conversion parts? Presumably the latter would need trimming down to fit, what I presume to be narrower nacelles?

Thanks

James

Sorry for the delay James,.....I finally got around to test fitting the old Aeroclub 4 bladed props to the new Aeroclub Halifax nacelles conversion and they fit like a glove! Perfect fit! Not sure about the Dowty u/c but if not, John Adams also did a white metal Dowty u/c for the Mk.V which should be fine.

All the best

Tony

• 3 weeks later...