Early Airfix 48th Lightnings

Thanks SS. Was hoping to work on it over the weekend but alas that didn't happen. Was thinking it was my own clumsy lack of attention on the seams but there's certainly some minor sink marks to deal with and if you're are having the same issues that sounds more like a kit issue. Also noticed one fuselage is a tiny bit shorter that the other; everything is fine from nose to mid fuselage but there's then a slight mismatch to panel lines beyond that and also a step at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse the lack of updates gang but I've been awaiting the arrival of another kit before continuing with this as I want to build both at the same time. Well the only thing better than a Lightning is two Lightnings. Right? The Airfix Gnat is well underway so I'll be returning to this thread with proper progress updates soon :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, here I am in a hotel room, my daughter is sleeping off a bad dose of the cold and my wife out on the p!$$ with her pals, hmm what to do? I know, rescribe lost panel lines on a Lightning kit :D Not photos 'cause quite frankly it'd make for boring viewing but at least it's progress again.

• Like 1

So, here I am in a hotel room, my daughter is sleeping off a bad dose of the cold and my wife out on the p!$$ with her pals, hmm what to do? I know, rescribe lost panel lines on a Lightning kit :D Not photos 'cause quite frankly it'd make for boring viewing but at least it's progress again.

You take your models on holiday with you?

Now that's commitment.

You take your models on holiday with you?

Now that's commitment.

Well it saves me being bored and keeps me from mischief ;)

Here's last nights workbench;

20141123_100058.jpg

• Like 6

Well it saves me being bored and keeps me from mischief ;)

(...)

I perfectly know this - I almost always take some stuff with me be it holidays or business trip, but rarely a complete kit. Boring tasks like rescribing, excessive sanding and such are perfect for hotel rooms :-) Few tools are needed and not paint.

Rene

• Like 1

I perfectly know this - I almost always take some stuff with me be it holidays or business trip, but rarely a complete kit. Boring tasks like rescribing, excessive sanding and such are perfect for hotel rooms :-) Few tools are needed and not paint.

Rene

It seemed the best use of my spare time and allowed me to move this one forward through a psychological barrier. Was about to say thankfully I don't spend a lot of time in hotels but maybe that's the spur my modelling needs haha. Also started to refine the shallow upper gun ports but plenty more to do there before anything worth taking a photo of is produced.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Was in the midst of an update with photos when the laptop mousepad stopped working so you'll just have to take my word for this as I type on a phone that makes linking to Photobucket a virtual impossibility :(

So we have the contol column and instrument panel combing on, a HUD glass fashioned from some clear plastic packaging, a standby compass made then glued into the windscreen before said windscreen had its inner frame painted black and glued on. Gaps within the front u/c bay have been blanked off with thin plastic sheet and the upper cannon ports drilled out to be backed with plastic tube for a better represent their true depth.

Wings next.

• Like 1

Photo time! Got an overdue update installed and suddenly everything works again. flipping computers.

Anyway, on with the show for what it is;

20141211_152107.jpg

20141211_152008.jpg

• Like 4

Rather minor progress again unfortunately gang. Been concentrating on the main u/c bays over the last couple evenings;

20141217_144258.jpg

At the moment I've cut the corrugations into the upper wing where they can be seen in the wheel well then added the covering panel from very thin plastic sheet and run it over with a riveting wheel. Some of the detail around the sidewalls are starting to appear so hopefully a couple more evenings work will see the bays finished and the complete wings ready to be fitted. Hopefully.

20141217_144327.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Overdue update time gang, just in case you thought I'd forgotten my own model in this GB, got the main wheel bays detailed with stretched sprue and plastic cuttings;

20141228_103102.jpg

then added some wiring;

20141229_161522.jpg

20141229_161537.jpg

Closed the wings although fit wasn't great and left me with a few gaps that will need attention <_< then added then to the fuselage;

20141229_161451.jpg

Small bits will follow after the gaps and seams get attended to then hopefully paint can be applied.

Ooh, almost forgot, the obligatory tail-standing shot :D

20141229_161557.jpg

• Like 8

Looking good there. The field of frantic Lightningeers trying to get done for the 4th increases again!

Nice work so far. I'm glad about your fuselage comment as I was rather concerned about where to cut mine. Have you got the triple-damned air-brakes to fit properly?

• Like 2

Franticning, def: the desperate act of attempting to complete a complicated and troublesome model build within a predefined period of time (that may or may not appear to be long enough). Usually carried out in groups.

I need 2 days to finish mine, I only managed 25 minutes of modelling today (but at least I've got hot running water and central heating for the first time in many weeks).

DB

• Like 2

Looking good there. The field of frantic Lightningeers trying to get done for the 4th increases again!

Nice work so far. I'm glad about your fuselage comment as I was rather concerned about where to cut mine. Have you got the triple-damned air-brakes to fit properly?

Alas I very much doubt this one will be finished by the 4th due to personal circumstance but I'm trying to get as much done within the timescale as possible then hopefully get her done shortly afterwards using the momentum I gather.

A slight rub down of the edges allowed the airbrakes to drop into place and fit snug so perhaps I've been lucky?

Franticning, def: the desperate act of attempting to complete a complicated and troublesome model build within a predefined period of time (that may or may not appear to be long enough). Usually carried out in groups.

I need 2 days to finish mine, I only managed 25 minutes of modelling today (but at least I've got hot running water and central heating for the first time in many weeks).

DB

:lol:

Glad to hear your house is habitable again Duncan. Hope you get peace to finish the Lightning now.

In other news I've filled and sanded the wing sink marks and gaps but not rescribed yet. I also added the spine intake that wasn't there until later marks so have now removed said intake and glued some stretched sprue into plug the mounting hole. Note to self - check references more often! Preferably before taking glue to kits.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Since I had an airbrush full of Alclad primer the Lightning got a coat of paint;

20150223_190835.jpg

Once this lot is dried and given a gentle rub down with Micromesh it's Alclad time!

• Like 3