Early Airfix 48th Lightnings

Right gang time I got this one underway. Excuse the vague topic title but I'm not yet firm on which of the various versions available within the kit I want to do. A case of too much choice. At the moment an 92 Sqn. F.2 is favourite but then there's the 56 Sqn. bird and decals avaiable for AFDS and LTF units as well...

Anyway, while I dither here's some photos of what I've got;

The kit. Rather lovely it is as well,

20141004_142303.jpg

along with this,

20141004_142318.jpg

which provides a comprehensive set of bits to furnish the pilot's workplace,

1412429481791.jpg

Hopefully get some bench space cleared to crack on with this one by next weekend.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 5

Looks good Col, especially that cockpit.

Thanks John. A little clean up will be required before I can start painting but the detail is comprehensive and fine so a great improvement over the kit parts and hopefully won't take too much effort to fit.

Col, I've got this kit too along with a couple of F6's and the Eduard edition (also got the T bird conversion) so will be interested to see it coming together, especially as I don't normally build 1/48 but just had to have the kits! (might have to make an exception for this GB though).

Duncan B

Cheers Duncan. Still can't decide if I'll go 92 Sqn. using the kit decals or try to locate an aftermarket sheet with a 'local' option that may suit your particular tastes ;)

• Like 1

Ooh a 1/48 LTTF F1A, now that would be nice, or "X" of 23 Sqn (which was XM144, an F1), one of the airfield decoys, now there's a thought.

Duncan B

Edited to include mark and serial for those who might be interested

• Like 1

Made a soft start to this one on Sunday morning by building the intake section. Better than nothing I suppose.

Still to decide what markings it'll get but now wondering if I'll go for an aftermarket sheet with the LTTF and AFDS markings in the hope I can pick up another F.1 kit in the near future to use both options or stay with 92 Sqn. and go for a couple of Sword F.1 kits to do the aforementioned alternatives in 72nd scale. Either way the instrument panel in the Cutting Edge set is for an F.6 and will need replacing to be accurate so that's next task on the list.

• Like 2

Right gang, progress has been made by way of a decision. Was able to get a set of these decals;

ca13e64d-26dd-4808-b8a4-f4ddca1e60ed.jpg

so likely doing this one as the AFDS bird.

• Like 4

Thanks lads. Spent yesterday trying to fit the resin 'pit but was away to the Glasgow Model Show today so no more reportable progress. Will be mindful of those decals though cheers SleeperService.

Right gang, in the best tradition of pictures or it didn't happen, progress and evidence of it.

With the intake and jet pipes assemblies together and painted they were installed thus;

20141020_164003.jpg

Since I'd be using the same colours on the exhaust petal parts as the jet pipes I detailed them a little prior to painting. Scribed a separation line between each petal then ran a razor saw along the single thick actuator to turn them into a thin channelled U-shape closer to the real item. Painted with Humbrol Hu-53 gunmetal then drybrushed with Hu-54 brass and Hu-56 aluminium.

20141020_164152.jpg

The 'pit was painted Humbrol Hu-33 flat black to give the depth of a typical British 50s fighter coal-hole then drybrushed first heavily with Revell's No. 8 anthracite followed by progressively lighter dustings of various paler greys to highlight the details. The dials were given two separate drybrushings of white in an attempt to bring out the detail within the dials. A coat of gloss varnish in each dial to 'glaze' them finished it off. Still need to track down some photos that may show any other colours to add highlights within this area but at least the main painting is complete.

20141020_164126.jpg

20141020_164057.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you gents.

Last night seen me get the 'pit fitted and fuselage halves together;

20141021_070350.jpg

As I'm doing an F.1 the locating holes for the cable duct parts need filling with stretched sprue;

20141021_070414.jpg

Then the NACA intakes along the upper fuselage needed opening out. On the kit they are simply scribed in.

20141021_070442.jpg

• Like 2

Nice one Col, like that cockpit detail a lot! I'm planning on doing a bit more work on mine over the weekend at the AMRC show as a bit of a demo.

Mark.

Cheers Mark. Was tempted to do something similar with this one if I get a chance and depending where I'm at with it.

One other difference I've found with the F.1 over later versions was the lack of an airfield arrestor hook. The kit depicts that part as a simple moulding on one fuselage half;

20141021_150852.jpg

...so cutting it off was an easy fix;

20141021_170454.jpg

Up above the fin got some attention with the intake at its base getting opened out before it was glued into place;

20141021_170502.jpg

A little filler is required on the ventral tank seam due to my lack of attention when gluing the halves together;

20141021_170517.jpg

...otherwise the kit fits together well.

Once the seams are sorted it's on to the nose gun panels then attention turns to the wings and their undercarriage bays.

• Like 4

Your build is coming on nicely.

Cheers fella. Really enjoying this one although it'll need to sit aside for a day or two until I clear some other stuff off the workbench. Can see why people rank these along side the Spit 22 and Seafire 46/47 as being a high-point in Airfix' history. Edited by Col.

I like the approach you are taking with this Col. It's looking very good so far. I will need a bit of filler in exactly the same place on mine as the plastic seems to have 'shrunk down' a bit. The tailpipe on mine is similar, perfect fit to starboard fuselage not so good to port....