Stripy Lightning

My understanding is that the OCU painted all the T5's with dayglo stripes to differentiate them from the T4's.

I would have thought a quick look at the fin would have been enough to tell them apart on the line (but then again I once worked with a guy at Leuchars who couldn't tell a Jaguar apart from a Phantom even though he spent all day crawling around all over Phantoms) and I'm sure that even the sleepiest of Pilot would notice the difference once they got into the thing.

Duncan B

As far as I'm aware they only managed to decorate one T5 before the 'toning down' order came in! I've only seen details is XS418 in dayglo....

• Like 2

As far as I'm aware they only managed to decorate one T5 before the 'toning down' order came in! I've only seen details is XS418 in dayglo....

23 Sqn had a couple of T5's on loan from the OCU in 1965, XS416 and XS423. IIRC that was just before the toning down order, I would like to know if they had the full colour markings but haven't actually seen any photos of them at Leuchars, any ideas?

Duncan B

p.s. apologies to Enzo for the threadjack

• Like 1

23 Sqn had a couple of T5's on loan from the OCU in 1965, XS416 and XS423. IIRC that was just before the toning down order, I would like to know if they had the full colour markings but haven't actually seen any photos of them at Leuchars, any ideas?

Duncan B

p.s. apologies to Enzo for the threadjack

There's a photo of XS423 on the "Vertical reality" website , but she's in 2T Sqn markings. It says that she was loaned to 23 Sqn from 19/04/1966-3/3/1967....

And...

There's a photo of XS418 on p.65 of Dick Ward's "Lightning Squadrons of the Royal Air Force" in full 145 Sqn markings with dayglo bands, behind it is another T5. You can see the red/white fin top with di-electric panel, part of the nose section and spine with red/white section behind the canopy. What you can't see ..sadly, are the wings, fuselage NOR the last "three" on the nose.....BUT I'd be surprised if that didn't have dayglo on it....Dated 17 September 1965

AND finally....

Alan Hall's Warpaint on the Lightning (with incorrect artwork which seems to be the origin of XS418 having a T4 fin! See p.8 dated as Sept 1967!!!) has 145 Sqn having three T5's in 1965.....namely XS417, '418 & '419....so it woul maybe seem logical that these three at least had dayglo applied...

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 2

No apologies necessary. This is all good information. Don't stop on my account. :thumbsup:

...thanks Enzo!!!

I've found b&w pic's here of XS417, '418 & '419. These ALL seem to be in Dayglo..so I know think I know of three !! These may have been posted on here earlier actually....

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?113784-1950-s-1960-s-Archive-Part-40-Lightnings

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yup I foresee a mass decalling session in your immediate future Enzo.

I took the photos this morning with the intention of spending the whole day decaling and having it all done by how,

Guess what? I'll be applying decals most of tomorrow as well! :D But it's fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the F.3. The basic kit is the Airfix 1/72 F.6 with tank and wings from Alley Cat. Decals for 23 Sqn are again from an Xtradecal sheet.

F3-02.jpg

F3-03.jpg

F3-04.jpg

F3-05.jpg

Another cheeky Lightning. Like this one too.

Hold on tight, rider! There's a few more coming through... :D

• Like 5