RAF 1:48 Sabre

Hello,

After a bit of a break from modelling, I'm approaching the finishing straight with Eduard's Mirage IIICJ [weekend kit - taken about 2 months on and off so far!] so I've started thinking about my next build.

I've always had a soft spot for the Sabre, but have never been overly fond of the US bare metal schemes.

I acquired an Academy 1:48 Sabre kit over a year ago and it's been sitting in my stash since then. I knew I didn't want to build 'The Huff' as provided in the box for the reason above. I've decided to build it as an RAF aircraft so have bought myself a few bits to add into the build:

Quickboost resin seat [huge improvement over the kit part]

Eagle Strike RAF Sabres Pt 2 decal set [planning on doing the 112 Sqn scheme - gotta love a sharkmouth!]

Airscale IP decals [first time using these]

I'm not going to lose any sleep about any errors or differences between the donor kit and an RAF machine [i'm oblivious to them anyway!] and just focus on trying to do a decent job of actually finishing the thing!

Hopefully some pics soon.

Thanks for looking

Matt

Will be following closely yr.progress as I too intend to build an RAF Sabre,a no.234 squadron machine.Will use the model's hard wing as there's a photo (Aircam book if i m not mistaken) of a Sabre from that same squadron having it and I do believe the sharkmouth Sabres of 112 were using the same wings too,

• Like 1

Which serial number are you building? Duncan Curtis' Canadair Sabre in RAF Service lists the aircraft used by each unit and whether each kept a slatted wing, were retro-fitted with the "6-3" wing (as in the kit) or delivered with the latter wing.

• Like 1

Bit more progress. I've added some rough details behind the seat to fill up this blank space - highly inaccurate but better than an expanse of bare plastic with a groove in it!

Due to the size of the canopy, I made the effort to dip it in Klear, well worth it, makes a huge difference and I'll definately do this on all future models.

7_zps80a47dcf.jpg

8_zps7b49f317.jpg

• Like 3

Can anyone suggest what colour the interior of the airbrake 'doors' should be? I've seen some pictures where they are red and others where they're bare metal. The photos I've seen have been of USAF aircraft though - what colour did the RAF have them?

Can anyone suggest what colour the interior of the airbrake 'doors' should be? I've seen some pictures where they are red and others where they're bare metal. The photos I've seen have been of USAF aircraft though - what colour did the RAF have them?

Airbrake doors and wells would be a dark green colour. Sorry, can't be more specific than that- a dark interior green.

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 1

Not the best photos but I've managed to get some painting done. All colours are Tamiya Acrylics and I've also sprayed a coat of Klear to seal it all in. There's a few small touch ups to do to the underside and the nose needs to be sprayed black and the tip of the tail also needs painting.

I'm working at light-speed for me....

13_zps91bcd78f.jpg

12_zps7f05d42f.jpg

14_zps90db00ba.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the model now I've applied the markings and applied an initial panel line wash. First time using Eagle Strike decals and although they're printed beautifully, I had a right battle to get them to settle into the recessed detail. After a lot of decal softener, some slicing with a knife and some general huffing and puffing I've managed a passable result although there are several areas I'm not totally satisfied with.

I've left off the majority of the stencils, to be honest applying them would have been overkill in my eyes.

Panel line wash is my usual dark brown oil paint.

17_zps34508d8a.jpg

19_zps83af942a.jpg

Matt

• Like 6