F/A 18 current action

newpiggypod1

Can anyone enlighten me with and details of which aircraft are being used at the moment, also whats the best 1/72 kit of such and are decals available U S naving is not my strong point but would like to make something current other than Tornado, thanks guys

All versions of the Hornet are currently in service, A, A+, B, C, D ,E, F with various units in the US Navy and USMC including Reserve Units. I would imagine all units are represented in the decal community at some stage of the F-18's career.

As said Hasegawa are the best kits in both 72nd and 48th and your possibilities are endless.

Academy makes the best A/C/D. They don't box a B, but you can make one from an A boxing and a D boxing, using the A sprue with the D kit. You'' end up with the wrong instrument panel in the backseat, but otherwise a good B is had. Note the one weakness of the Academy is that the main gear sits wrong, the legs are too vertical and don't have the splayed aspect that is so typical of the Hornet's gear.

Hasegawa does an actual B and provides the correct main landing gear for a CF-18 (and correct sit), but otherwise lags the Academy for detail.

Hasegawa makes the best E/F/G's. Try and get later boxings unless you are modelling an early E/F as the ECS vents changed early in service and the changes were applied to the fleet. Early Hasegawa boxings have the early vents. Revell does a good E/F as well, but the Hasegawa is definitely an improvement and regular boxings aren't too much more than the Revell.

• Like 1

And if you don't want to do USN

Royal Australian Air Force Super Hornets are over there as well

...which are Block II aircraft so should probably best be represented by the later Hasegawa mouldings.

FWIW I'm not convinced it's better than the Revell, which has far better interior

Shane

There are two types of RAAF Super Hornet in the ME. All our F/A-18Fs are Block II aircraft but those with serials in the range A44-201 to 212 are "plain" Super Hornets. Those with serials in the A44-213 to 224 are Super Hornets that have been pre-wired to allow conversion to E/A-18G Growlers so they have all the lumps and bumps of a Growler although they are functionally the same as the plain ones.