Xtrakit 1/72 Spitfire Mk XII

I have had a long modelling drought - nothing really done in months. Just starting to get back to the bench a bit and managed to finish this one off this weekend. Its been hanging around longer than I care to remember. Not the easiest build for me, and I am not 100 % happy with the finish. But, it is now off the shelf of doom (OK just spotted I need to attach the cockpit mirror - but that is a minor thing!). Brushpainted with Tamiya acrylics and finished with an Italeri Acryl Flatcoat.

Cheers

IMG_0168_zps271100ef.jpg

IMG_0169_zps49207b19.jpg

IMG_0170_zps3825c8d9.jpg

• Like 14

Looks pretty good to me.

I have one of these in the stash but, as their hard to get hold of, I'm wary of assembling it in case I mess it up.

The XII is the obvious choice for tbe next Airfix 1/72 Spitfire.

• Like 2

Nice kit, I have it sat there ready to build too.

Quite a rare kit, picked mine up on here.

.....Any tips on brush painting Tamiya acrylics ?

Tamiya acrylics paint well if thinned with W&N flow improver.

HTH

Rick.

• Like 3

Any tips on brush painting Tamiya acrylics ?

As posted last year:

I made the move to Tamiya acrylics 8 or so years ago, mostly for the convenience of water clean up and the low odour (I do most of my modelling on the kitchen table). It took a bit of trial and error to get used to them. I guess first off using the appropriate sized brush for the task, this helps to avoid too many brushstrokes. Resisting the temptation of over brushing helps as well. I avoid loading up the brush with too much paint. Making sure the paint is thinned appropriately (I use isopropyl alcohol) and mixed thoroughly before starting is very important. This means you need to applying several thin coats rather than one or more thick coats - but it so quick drying thats no great issue. Where possible I try and paint in one direction rather than just slapping it on in different directions. Also I avoid painting when it gets too hot (it gets very hot and dry here in Perth during the summer) as the paint dries far too quickly.

Just started playing with Italeri Acryls, which can be thinned with distilled water.

• Like 2

Thanks for the inspiration Simon, just dug mine out from the stash. May be the next build.

As for Tamiya, I find slowing the drying process down helps. This is where the Flow Improver comes in.

You can over paint it before it completely dries, which as you point out Simon, you can't normally do.

I can't say as I like IPA. I use it at work and it does horrid things, kinda makes it pointless going down the acrylic route.

Rick.

• Like 2

Thanks Rick, I hope you enjoy the build. As I said above I found it a bit of a challenge! As for IPA, I only use a very small amount, barely a few mLs, so I don't find it an issue. I may have a look at the flow improver though, may make painting in the summer months a bit easier.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it'll help over the hotter days.

This is the one I use:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/artists-acrylic-flow-improver-125-ml/560333-1000

It's about £7 but you mix it with distilled water at about 10% so will last for years.

The bottle I have is still about 3/4 full and I use it all the time. I mix up about 100ml at a time and decant it into

an empty Vallejo MA bottle.

It works well with Vallejo, Tamiya, Xtracylix and Citidel to my knowledge.

It also cleans the model before painting and the brushes after too.

It's my "Go to" thinner for all the above through my Iwata.

(Tamiya works best through the the Iwata when thinned with Cellulose thinners IMHO).

Bargain.

Rick.