AJ-W Dambuster Lancaster

It's finally finished up!

The kitset is a 1:48 Tamiya Dambuster edition Lanc, I used a set of aftermarket decals to allow me to build AJ-W for Willie - flown by Squadron leader John Leslie (Les) Munro. After a long time, and help from many on the forum the model is complete. I hope you enjoy it!

_MG_4761_zpsf8f1a7b7.jpg

_MG_4775_zps2c4b7870.jpg

_MG_4777_zpsef8bed2e.jpg

_MG_4789_zps2ffc6912.jpg

_MG_4793_zpsb2cafe6b.jpg

_MG_4807_zps6dc01397.jpg

_MG_4816_zpsab9791c9.jpg

_MG_4821_zpse8ff305c.jpg

_MG_4826_zpsc1684fd5.jpg

_MG_4829_zpse3abe983.jpg

I was also lucky enough to be able to travel north and meet Mr Les Munro in person. He kindly signed a plaque that will accompany the model in the display cabinet. It was amazing to hear stories and tales about flying the Lancaster in the war.

_MG_4839_zps2a0a067e.jpg

_MG_4737_zpsbe515621.jpg

• Like 19

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It was a remarkable day, it's not often you get to chat with the actual pilot of the aircraft you have built, I just hope I didn't look too much like an excited kid in a candy shop. He was very happy to chat about his memories of flying and life in England, and told me about the Dambuster raid, and when the Lanc was hit by flak forcing him to turn back. He is a fascinating person, and I feel truly lucky to have met him.

Keith I have wondered the same thing in regards to the colour, I used the green that was instructed by Tamiya (I have gone blank on the code now) although the brown they stated to use I felt was too dark, and thus I decided to go with the lighter one. There is such a variety in photos (many colourised B&W ones), and colouring from developing old film makes it difficult to get a true definitive answer on the tones. I did spot this photo of the current airworthy one so based my brown off that. :)

LANC_zps139c3408.jpg

• Like 1

Much as I don't want to disrespect a real wartime hero, as I know he had many other missions, both before and after, many with 617, but Les Munro didn't actually make it as far as the dams. His plane got hit by flak crossing the coast and he returned to Scampton, bouncing bomb intact.

Much as I don't want to disrespect a real wartime hero, as I know he had many other missions, both before and after, many with 617, but Les Munro didn't actually make it as far as the dams. His plane got hit by flak crossing the coast and he returned to Scampton, bouncing bomb intact.

Yes you are very correct. His aircraft was hit over Vlieland in Holland and he made the call to return to base. I had the choice to build one of the other Lancasters, or AJ-W. I decided to build this one as a tribute to Mr Munro as he is an original Dambuster pilot, bombed dropped or not. Also it's an aircraft that many wouldn't have reproduced so that coupled up with the signed plaque made it novel for me personally. :)

• Like 1

Yes you are very correct. His aircraft was hit over Vlieland in Holland and he made the call to return to base. I had the choice to build one of the other Lancasters, or AJ-W. I decided to build this one as a tribute to Mr Munro as he is an original Dambuster pilot, bombed dropped or not. Also it's an aircraft that many wouldn't have reproduced so that coupled up with the signed plaque made it novel for me personally. :)

Well, to be honest, I agree with you. I would love to meet the man himself. He was here (RAF Scampton) for the 70th anniversary celebrations. Would have been an honour to even get close.

• Like 1