P-51D, Tamiya and Academy 1/72

jean

Well, here are some of the guilty parties that have stalled my Zero build, posted elsewhere in this forum.

I decided to get cracking with two P-51D and I have actually done quite a lot of "good" on these two models. In addition, there is a P-47D Razorback, but that one will be posted another time!

The P-51D Tamiya was a bit "disappointing", as I was looking forward (for once) to a shake and bake model. It nonetheless gave me quite a bit of fit problems, but it must be me!!! Had to scratch a seat too, but then, everybody ends up changing that contraption designed for some creature from another planet.

P-51DTamiya1_zpsd9e41d50.jpg

P-51DTamiya2_zps5dcc732e.jpg

P-51DTamiya3_zps97d9dd29.jpg

I am going for the box art decoration: not original, but I like it!

P-51DTamiya4_zpsec764a0e.jpg

The Academy kit has a beautiful interior, but needs in my eyes a lot of work on the outside, as everything that is supposed to be recessed is raised... Quite silly really.

But I like building this model, no matter its shortcomings.

P-51DAcad1_zps33abaa7c.jpg

I decided to open the radiator flap, as the original one looks unrealistic and cluncky! I am not sure what the final result will look like, but it cannot be worse!

The last jobs on the wings will be making some wingtips lights and rescribe all the aileron tabs I destroyed through over-enthusiastic sanding...

P-51DAcad2_zps800f8abf.jpg

P-51DAcad3_zps6cd7480d.jpg

All in all, two fun models to build, especially as I have never built a P-51 in my life... Shame on me!

Any comment, tips, criticism are welcome!!!

Cheers

JR

• Like 2

I've built the Academy, quite a relaxing job that was. However, something about the windscreen has always looked off to me, it appears too squat from the front. It must be me because I've never heard anybody else complain about this. Looking forward to seeing the comparison between the two.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1

I've built the Academy, quite a relaxing job that was. However, something about the windscreen has always looked off to me, it appears too squat from the front. It must be me because I've never heard anybody else complain about this. Looking forward to seeing the comparison between the two.

Take a look at the exhausts too! There should be only 6 not 7 each side!

Take a look at the exhausts too! There should be only 6 not 7 each side!

Hi Denford,

for a second you scared me and I rushed to check the exhaust in the box! I breathed a sigh of relief when I counted 6 pipes, and not 7!

Obviously the guy who did the box art painted from memory....

Cheers

JR

Another follower here!

Mustangs are never too much! ;)

Next time consider the Airfix new tooling, not a bad model for the buck.

BTW! I love the "Big Beautiful Doll" scheme! Is in my build ist to make one.

Are you going to seal some of the panel lines on the wings?

Cheers

Paulo

Watch out for the decals on the Academy kit, there quite a pain in the backside!

Will definitely be following this though!

Hi John,

no, I am not planning to use any decals from the Academy kit, except for the stars and bars and possibly the prop stencils. I am planning to finish it with one of the spare schemes from the Tamiya decal sheet.

I am excessively wary of the Academy decals too...

Cheers

JR

Another follower here!

Mustangs are never too much! ;)

Next time consider the Airfix new tooling, not a bad model for the buck.

BTW! I love the "Big Beautiful Doll" scheme! Is in my build ist to make one.

Are you going to seal some of the panel lines on the wings?

Cheers

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

re sealing some panel lines, I don't think I have the right doc as far as knowing which ones to leave and which ones to seal... So I think I will leave them all as they are!

Re the Airfix Mustang, I will definitely get one at some stage, but as I never throw kits away (...), I had to do the Academy one.

JR

• 10 months later...

JR, thx for your comment on the F-4 Phantom!!! Looking forward to see both finished. I built the Tamiya one last month as you can see in my topics. It fits very well, but I was disapointed with the 2 piece canopy. All the best

Andy :bye:

Hi Andy,

funny you should comment on this post, as this afternoon I have re-opened the Tamiya box with the intention to finish that model first and foremost. Life has not been kind to me this year in term of available time to have fun with bits of plastic... It would appear that I have a few weeks almost free, so this P-51 should hopefully be the first victim!

The windscreen has given me a endless headache to get it to fit... So a nice kit, but leaving me a bit disappointed. I know it must be me, but still!

Congrats again on your F-4

JR

Its a pity with the windsreen, indeed. These fumes from cyanacrylats are terrible . So I have no answer how you get it clear. Mary be you can order a spare part? Wich one did you choose for the finished? Big beautiful doll? I built the Glamerous glennis aus you can see.

Best regards and happy modelling .

Andy

Hi Andy,

it will be (or so I hope) Big Beautiful Doll. I have already painted the spinner accordingly, so I feel committed!

Re the windscreen, I have worked on it with alcohol, fine sandpaper, very fine sanding cloths, etc. I left it in place, as I did not want to do more damage that I had already done.

Now all I have to do is apply Klear with a paint brush and pray it's going to work. I haven't dared brush the Klear yet, as I am rather worried, but I cannot postpone it any longer.

Fingers crossed!

JR