Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6. Flt Lt FR Ightning of 74Sqn.

While the Silver rocket machine is drying, it's time to work on the base. A trip to my favourite model shop (Salisbury Model Centre) & picked up a bit of MDF & a brass rod.

Work has started, a hole as been drilled, the angle of dangle has been triple checked. Sandpaper, glue & Tamiya's NATO Black on stand by.

Pictures to follow

Thanks for stopping by

#Forza Jules

#JB17

Looking great, always a difficult colors those metallics, every unevenness will be seen.

What paint did you use for the bare metal?

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Tamiya's silver gloss Alluminium. Went on really well considering I really struggle with rattle cans.

The following pictures show my display base, made from a bit of MDF, brass rod, sand paper & Tamiya Nato black.

Starting with this,

IMG_0550_zps25958630.jpg

Which after some bodging has turned into this,

IMG_0551_zpsc23e12a9.jpg

And now with Flt Lt FR Ightning's Lightning, at a jaunty angle to show off some foil work.

IMG_0553_zps630c4783.jpg

• Like 3

Good work on the base - looks effective without distracting from the subject.

As for the foil - never been convinced by the stuff myself and even less so after seeing some peeling off an otherwise stunning model at a Star Wars exhibition.

• Like 1

I think yours looks great with the panels you've picked out. Are you thinking of doing the whole thing? That would be quite a task! I defer to Col. on that, as I've only ever done a panel or two.

I'm planning on foiling just the nose ring and a bit in front of the exhaust nozzles on Flt Lt BL Ightning's jet.

• Like 1

Little update,

Over wing tanks have had rear parts foiled. U/c has been painted & second coat of black gloss on tail fin.

Mainly little touch ups today. Hope to post some pictures later.

:lol: This boxart has been around for some time and a lot of people have commented on how good it is. Up until now, no one has noticed the lack of tailplanes! Once it is pointed out, it is so obvious!

Its funny, because there must be more than one version of the art about, as this looks familiar on a Flypast cover, but had stabilisers

1413456426_flypast-special-edition-cold-

Loving the progress with this

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Today's pictures

Here is the foiled wing tanks

IMG_0568_zps38a398c9.jpg

The following is where i have got to so far, canopy unmasked, tail gloss black. Just a few more bits & bobs to go on then a coat of gloss varnish & ready for the decals.

IMG_0567_zps741b1d82.jpgIMG_0565_zpsa20267fb.jpg

Finally a close up of Flt Lt FR Ightning in his office.

IMG_0566_zps38fa450f.jpg

• Like 2

That has really come together Hockeyboy, the paint and foiling look fantastic. Great work on the base too, I may pinch that idea for my 1/144th F.6. I have been looking at some Prieser figures that I have to see if I can modify one to be the flyboy.

• Like 1

Excellent foil work on the wing tank. This build has quality and quickness.

How did you go about masking the canopy? There are some complex shapes there.

I masked the canopy with Tamiya tape. Rubbed down with a toothpick into the corners then cut to shape using a new scapel blade.
  • Like 1

As promised, here is the progress of the decals,

Wing tanks are done,

IMG_0571_zps4975178c.jpgIMG_0572_zpsc3272b64.jpg

Its amazing who much difference just adding the nose bar to the a/c has made. Really looks like a Lightning now.

IMG_0573_zps48d45a20.jpgIMG_0570_zpsc8f4d6ed.jpg

Just a tip i have found when decaling. Make sure you check between the stencils page & the Sqn marking page, as some may need to go over others.

• Like 6

Starting to look proper tasty that is!

Mark.

Yes it is!

That certainly does look like a Lightning and going about as fast as the real machines as well.

Thanks for all your kind comments. I can't believe how quickly I have progressed with this. Looking forward to putting her on the base.

May have to dig out another Lightning to build.

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Thanks for all your kind comments. I can't believe how quickly I have progressed with this. Looking forward to putting her on the base.

May have to dig out another Lightning to build.

Another one you say? Well, okay, go on then :D

Sure we are all looking forward to seeing her on the base as well.

• Like 1

Another one you say? Well, okay, go on then :D

Sure we are all looking forward to seeing her on the base as well.

For my next Lightning I have managed to buy a brand new 1/48 Airfix Lightning for the grand total of £2:48. (Due to a credit card voucher)

Does anyone know if the Flightpath Lightning kit extras is any good?

Today progress has continued with the decaling. Stencils are doing my head in, but she's looking good.

• Like 2