Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6. Flt Lt FR Ightning of 74Sqn.

As promised, photos of my progress today

IMG_0532_zpsbb02aace.jpg

the white "fin is the second plastic shim to help close the gap.

IMG_0535_zpsa3627ab2.jpgIMG_0534_zps6e5c2ac4.jpg

Last picture is of the underside gap at the front just behind nose ring. This has now been filled with plastic putty.

Tomorrows jobs, sanding the seams & sorting the wings.

thanks for stopping by, as always comments welcomed

• Like 2

Has anyone else had these issues with a new Airfix Lightning??

I didn't with the first one I built but my current ones look to have similar issues. I'm also puzzled by the amount of flash on mould which are less than two years old.

I just seem to have turned lots of plastic into dust.

nodnodnod I'm good at that as well. :lol:

• Like 1

Sorry to read about the fit issues you're having with this one :( Any idea what's caused that?

I believe it is to do with the front cockpit panel. It seems to be sitting too high although I did cut it at the correct points. I have had to sand a lot off the top to get the top coming to fit flush, & cut parts off the rear. It also was pushing the sides of the fuse out wards so I removed some plastic from the inside. Fitting the 2 small shims at the front helped a little & keeps the front glazing flush.

I didn't with the first one I built but my current ones look to have similar issues. I'm also puzzled by the amount of flash on mould which are less than two years old. nodnodnod I'm good at that as well. :lol:

The flash on my kit is really bad too. I have also had to rescribe some of the panel lines near the cockpit on both sides due to excess plastic.

This appears to be the little-known Lightning Mk. 5 7/8 (the version without horizontal stabilizers)!

:lol: This boxart has been around for some time and a lot of people have commented on how good it is. Up until now, no one has noticed the lack of tailplanes! Once it is pointed out, it is so obvious!

Little update.

Not much done today, gun covers, front belly tanks & top cockpit coming fitted. Canopy has been dipped in Klear & drying ready for masking & fitting. Only wings & ailerons to fit then can start with painting.

• Like 1

As promised, photos of my progress today

IMG_0532_zpsbb02aace.jpg

the white "fin is the second plastic shim to help close the gap.

IMG_0535_zpsa3627ab2.jpgIMG_0534_zps6e5c2ac4.jpg

Last picture is of the underside gap at the front just behind nose ring. This has now been filled with plastic putty.

Tomorrows jobs, sanding the seams & sorting the wings.

thanks for stopping by, as always comments welcomed

Blimy, I thought it was just me getting gaps, I lost my temper and binned it.. Could not believe the fit for a new kits and I needed a comfort build that this was not....

• Like 1

The fit of the wings to the fuselage left a lot to be desired on my F2A as I remember.

Duncan B

Thanks for that Duncan, will be fitting them this afternoon after F1 quali.

#Forza Jules 17

Saturdays first update.

Canopy has been masked & ready to be fitted cocooning Flt Lt F.R Ightning in his office. Wings have been glued & one side fitted. Quite pleased with the fit, a little filling will be required on the underside.

Plan is to fit the other wing & canopy then fill all the small gaps with filler. Photos to follow.

Thanks for stopping by.

# Forza Jules

#JB17

As promised photo of my progress today. As others have mentioned the fit of the canopy was awful. Have had to add shims again to fill some gaps.

IMG_0542_zpse0d43bf6.jpgIMG_0543_zpscd6c9734.jpgIMG_0544_zps98718753.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

#Forza Jules

#JB17

• Like 4

No real progress today in terms of the build today. Have found some Tamiya Gloss Alluminium spray paint & also some dull Alluminium bare metal foil. I have been debating on which to use & have now chickened out of doing the whole aircraft in the foil. So my plan now is to use the spray paint first, then pick out panels for the foil & other Alluminium paints.

Back to work tomorrow so not sure how much progress will be made this week.

Thanks for stopping by

#Forza Jules

#JB17

Well I have managed to get more done than I thought today. Canopy & front glare has been painted matt black. Also the first coat of Tamiya silver has gone on. Looking pretty good so far. Have some seams to tidy up. Hopefully some pictures to follow.

Thanks for stopping by

#Forza Jules

#JB17

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

After a night of drying the silver has been rubbed back slightly with some micro mesh & hopefully all the seams tidied up. Another coat of silver has now gone on & will be left to dry.

Work will soon start on the missiles & the drop tanks.

Hope to post some pictures latter today.

Thanks for stopping by.

#Forza Jules

#JB17

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

As promised, Flt Lt F.R Ightning in his silver rocket machine.

IMG_0549_zpsd00c0717.jpgIMG_0548_zps3d8da13a.jpg

Shes off to dry for 48hrs then time to paint & foil some of the other panels.

Thanks for stopping by.

#Forza Jules

#JB17

• Like 6