Revell 1/144 Lightning F.Mk.6 - Introducing Fg. Off L.E. Gless

Well I have been mulling this over for the past couple of days and I have finally decided to have a go at two builds (think that I must have caught Enzo fever) and as Col has requested it I'm going to do this little F.Mk.6.

The decals look a bit basic but I think that I may be able find some suitable replacements on a Tornado sheet that I have, perhaps using markings from an F.3, and Mark1 do modern RAF code letters in both black and white. I'm not sure what it will be yet but maybe grey/natural metal would be a nice option.

Anyway here is the box shot.

CIMG2766_zps17e719dc.jpg

• Like 6

Nice kit, got mine started, gone detailing daft with it.

Needs better detail on tailpipes, slots cut in wings and nose guns filled at least.

Decals for this would be great!

Hand painting could be an option

Thinking of doing mine as shark mouthed 5 sqn

• Like 2

You lucky sods!

I've been trawling ebay for yonks for one of these.

I know what you mean Murdo, they are as rare as hens teeth. I was lucky enough to spot this on the Kingkit site and snapped it up, I haven't seen another since. I wish that Revell would re-release this along with their other little gem, the Hunter.

• Like 1

You lucky sods!

I've been trawling ebay for yonks for one of these.

I've only got about 8 stashed away, along with Flightline small belly tank conversion and Mike Grant decals.

Hoping for a two seat conversion...........as for Hunters........

Edited by McYellowbelly
  • Like 1

I've only got about 8 stadhed away, along with Flightline small belly tank conversion and Mike Grant decals.

Hoping for a two seat conversion...........as for Hunters........

Since we probably can't tempt you into selling a few can we tempt you into joining a GB? :lol:

• Like 2

Might well do, got a seat built for one, pics on WIP!

Seen that - stunning bit of work fella - comes in under the 25% rule if you want to continue that one in the GB.

Please excuse the thread hijack John and hope you are getting time to work on this and it's bigger sibling while I try to coerce another modeller into joining us.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, whilst the fuselage of my T.4 bird is drying I thought that I would make a start on this. Having removed the major parts from the sprues I realised I forgotten to take photos but for what it's worth here they are along with the major parts.

CIMG2828_zps2349c34c.jpg

CIMG2829_zps4abbc807.jpg

The first job I decided to do was to fill the gun ports in the nose of the aircraft. I did this by glueing small pieces of plastic rod in and once they had dried I trimmed and sanded them back.

CIMG2836_zpsfe5169d0.jpg

Then I had to do something about the missing slots from the leading edge of the wings so out came the razor saw and these were duly added. The photo below shows a modified and unmodified wing. In order to maintain symmetry the wings were taped together before I cut the second slot. I think that they may be a bit too long but I'll them over and adjust as necessary.

CIMG2830_zpseb76acc9.jpg

Because I intend to do this as an in-flight model I decided I needed to do something about the very basic cockpit. The first thing I did was to scan a 1/72nd instrument panel decal at 50%, then using a Prit-Sick I glued this to a piece of 0.005in plastic card and once dry trimmed around it to get the shape. Then using some square stock I added some side-walls to the floor.

CIMG2831_zpsd88db64b.jpg

Now, you can't have an in-flight model without someone to fly it (unless it is a UAV), so I had a browse through some 1/144th Prieser figures and selected a couple of likely lads for modification. Well I say modification, what I really mean is amputaion and donation of bits, to come up with something that I hope will look OK when it is painted up. I finally settled for a chap who was bending to pick something up and another figure who donated his hand because he was carrying a bone dome.

I am sure the poor fellow who was bending would not have volunteered to fly had he known what was going to happen to him. Off came his legs from the knees, then I surgically removed the back and top of his head thus leaving his face and this allowed me to glue on the tittfer.

Because he was bending he had a rather nasty twist in his torso so he was slice in two at the waist and repositioned. I then repositioned his arms, this has left him a liitle broad-shouldered so he will have to undergo further surgery before he can sit comfortably. I will see how much room there is after fitting the instrument panel before deciding whether he gets his legs back or not. :evil_laugh::mental:

CIMG2833_zpsfd776f75.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been able to do some more on this little gem today, completed painting the figure and then scratched the ejector seat handle from my usual 3amp fuse wire. I now have to add the control column and figure out what I am going to do about sorting out the dials and controls for the side consoles and instrument panel, leaning towards making decals for these. Then I have to sort out the coaming for this - which will be fun, after that I can glue the fuselage together.

Anyway may I introduce Fg Off L.E. Gless

CIMG2850_zpse807d53f.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments guys. I've sorted the decals for the instrument panel just need to get those on. I've been thinking about adding some tape belts to the figure before closing everything up.

Hope to post some more pics of progress soon.

• Like 1

Cockpit finished, I made the harness from masking tape and the buckles have been done with plastic section. Their size and position isn't 100% but nobody will see it once everything is buttoned up. Decals are on for the instrument panel and the side consoles, the next job will be fitting it all into the fuselage.

CIMG2903_zpsbf76ff4d.jpg

CIMG2904_zpseccc1e68.jpg

• Like 4