In with an Airfix 1/48 F6 - XR770 5 Sqn, RAF Binbrook 1987 - FINISHED!

Big Reveal - all seems ok, only a couple of lil leaks, now sorted!

image_zpsd64c018c.jpgimage_zpse5fbfebb.jpgimage_zps1d5d0cc2.jpgimage_zps886ab67c.jpg

Now tomorrow have family for dinner, so gonna try and crack the hand painted fin edges Hum 83, Ae area HUM148, gun ports HUM53, trail on lower wings HUM167, port and Stbd Wing lights, APU exhaust X504, engine area X504 and HUM56 and then look at a couple of coats of Humbrol Clear - gonna be a tight one!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

Hairy Stick out and some final painting gone on.

Fin edges, wing lights and underwing edges, Ae area with Antennas made from sewing needle, exhausts, gun ports and guns. Clear and decal tomorrow!

image_zps284a8ac7-1.jpgimage_zpsc21a5c3a-1.jpgimage_zpsc9c01bf4-1.jpgimage_zps8e30dbe0-1.jpgimage_zps3be87a71-1.jpg

Hope everyone is as frantic as me!!!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

Sneak preview - Decals on after some Humbtol Clear, just been given a second sealing coat.....on with panel lines and weathering later!

Getting there :winkgrin:

image_zps9b156288.jpgimage_zpsf10a4093.jpgimage_zps3b16bce5.jpgimage_zpsc9b00588.jpg

Right battle with the walkways, canopy decals and the lines on the belly - can any Lightning aficionados explain what the purpose of the belly lines was? I took decals from the cam version for my gun pack, as per the Model Alliance and photo refs.

You can also see some initial notes for the upcoming Lesser known Airforces GB - lots of interesting entries - I will delve into the world of 1/144 for 2 lil Mig 21MF, the twin pack from Eduard - any tips?!

• Like 1

Much modelling done today - much to the disdain of the Long Haired General!!

Sneak Peak before tomorrow final assembly - wings and tailplanes to go on, Red Tops to go on and unpick the canopy masking to allow Wing Commander R.E.D Top to see the light of day again!

Decals sealed, Flory panel line wash and some artist oils, floreys, Hum33 and thinners for weathering.

What I was aiming at as my reference:

xr770ib_zps0df297d0.jpg

Looking down and dirty!:

image_zps321c2f4d.jpgimage_zps4bf7944f.jpgimage_zps70a2e2c5.jpgimage_zps3e1e484d.jpgimage_zps1c9b0672.jpg

• Like 3

Final assembly work finished! Thats here done, here are some pics. Weathering, panel lines, preshade, postshade is all a personal thing - I see models that look like they are fresh out of the factory, others that are fully weather and beaten - I like to find some good refs for the subject and as they are generally in-flight because I have no display cabinet - they go on the kids ceiling, I try to model the subject as is, in flight.

Thanks for all the help and advice - this has been a really enjoyable build, as the Lightning is without doubt my favorite aircraft!

image_zps8293c98a.jpgimage_zps25a022ac.jpgimage_zps3ba7ced9.jpgimage_zps1e71a8e2.jpgimage_zpsad66cc3c.jpgimage_zpsa81baa1c.jpgimage_zpscff8b3bd.jpgimage_zpsfa3811cc.jpgimage_zps1f99bb63.jpg

Just need to try to get the 5 pics for the gallery, maybe outside or just 4 from above withe the obvious one from my sons ceiling in the vertical!

• Like 3

Sneak preview - Decals on after some Humbtol Clear, just been given a second sealing coat.....on with panel lines and weathering later!

Getting there :winkgrin:

image_zps9b156288.jpgimage_zpsf10a4093.jpgimage_zps3b16bce5.jpgimage_zpsc9b00588.jpg

Right battle with the walkways, canopy decals and the lines on the belly - can any Lightning aficionados explain what the purpose of the belly lines was? I took decals from the cam version for my gun pack, as per the Model Alliance and photo refs.

You can also see some initial notes for the upcoming Lesser known Airforces GB - lots of interesting entries - I will delve into the world of 1/144 for 2 lil Mig 21MF, the twin pack from Eduard - any tips?!

Hi, have watched this build with interest and you have done a great job, thanks for the photos which have got me thinking of doing another Lightning in the flying configuration now. In answer to your question, the parallel line markings on the belly tanks are where to position the tanks on their trestles when they are removed for servicing etc.

Just another bit of info, Airfix got the pilots name decal wrong, his name was Furz Lloyd and not Fuzz.

• Like 1

OK folks I am calling this done - weather is poop and only going to get darker son indoor pics as today is the last day of the GB:

image_zpsa81baa1c.jpgimage_zps25a022ac.jpgimage_zpsad66cc3c.jpg

And Wing Commander R.E.D Top is now airborne in the Vertical on Keelan's, my oldest sons ceiling, where he should be - Alconbury 527TFS F5E Tiger II Aggressor taking a quickpeak !

683de1ca-cd35-4a10-9b00-1c514ea44f66_zps

Many thanks again folks - see ya on the next GB's ...gotta say the Lesser Know Airforce GB is very interesting - however my twin MIG21MF's in 1/144 might be a 'Bridge Too Far' with how tiny they are!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Nice work Tim. That F-5E will never catch him :lol: Any chance we can get an overall photo of the airshow going off around your son's celling some time?

• Like 2