1/32 AH-1G HueyCobra - Real Men Drink Kool-Aid!

Thanks again :) and thank you Mark for redirecting Rick ;)

On 10/8/2014 at 2:27 PM, Procopius said:

A splendid model, but this line took me aback. That kool-aid might need to be explained simply boggles the mind.

What a strange assumption to make. I'd certainly never heard of it before as it is not commonly sold in the UK. I thought it was a fizzy drink like IRN Bru or Tizer.

What a strange assumption to make. I'd certainly never heard of it before as it is not commonly sold in the UK. I thought it was a fizzy drink like IRN Bru or Tizer.

Sorry, I came off as rather rude, which certainly wasn't my intent. I suppose it's merely a sign of how insular the USA can be; I had always assumed kool-aid was one of the globe-encircling tentacles of our cultural octopus.

And now I want to see if I can't hunt down some Irn Bru to try.

• Like 1

Sorry, I came off as rather rude, which certainly wasn't my intent. I suppose it's merely a sign of how insular the USA can be; I had always assumed kool-aid was one of the globe-encircling tentacles of our cultural octopus.

And now I want to see if I can't hunt down some Irn Bru to try.

No problem, spoken like a true gent . Appreciate you coming back, hope I didn't sound rude back, it was never my intention either ;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I was going to post this when I finished it last month, but I didn't want to clash with (or get unfavourably compared to !) HL-10's one.

It's the ancient Revell 1/32 kit, (the original UK boxing) with its original price tag of 14s.9d!

IMAG1815.jpg

I bought it from eBay for a fair price from a poor chap whose eyesight is failing - he had already started the kit and was unable to continue. I hope I've done right by him :(

Not many original parts left - replacements detailed as follows:

Cobra Company: cockpit, 20mm cannon and turret (truly excellent pieces!)

Fireball Modelworks: engine cowl and exhaust, rocket pods, decals (also very high quality)

Werner's Wings: Extremely good vacform canopy, a must-have for this kit.

CMK: crew figures

Academy: Crew heads (from the 1/32 Hornet); turret miniguns (from 1/35 BlackHawk kit)

Verlinden: helmets in the cockpit (from their detail set for the AH-64, wrong helmets for that kit, so very useful here!)

IMAG1876.jpg

Lots of aftermarket added on this!

IMAG1871.jpg

The excellent Cobra Company cockpit, which transforms the interior.

The finished article in a simple diorama setting entitled, "Real Men Drink Kool-Aid"! (All pictures courtesy of IPMS Farnborough website, taken by Chris Bradley)

DSCF6204.JPG

DSCF6205.JPG

The build was inspired by the book "Snake Pilot" by Randy Zahn, who flew 68-15068 "Cyndy Ann" as Aircraft Commander, callsign Cavalier 24. (The name was painted by crew chief Marshall "Bones" Maring, and was spelt differently from the real Cyndy who the aircraft was named after). This book is an absolute must-read if you like Vietnam-era aviation.

DSCF6206.JPG

Although a very simple diorama, Zahn mentions often that all they had to drink at the forward operating base at Phuoc Vinh was Kool-Aid, a fruit squash drink. I played on this for the diorama, and it meant I got to avoid the Vietnam diorama cliche of Coke cans!

DSCF6207.JPG

The XM-35 mod added a sawn-off 20mm Vulcan cannon to the underwing hardpoint on the left side. It was designed to enable stand-off engagements with the NVA .51 AA guns. The fitting of the cannon required extra wiring looms inside protective panels. The ammunition was carried in two sponsons on either side and fed through a crossfeed under the nose. All these additions are provided in the Cobra Company aftermarket set.

DSCF6208.JPG

Contrary to most online and book references (and even the decal instructions), 15068 had a left-mounted tail rotor.

DSCF6209.JPG

The diorama (if you could call it that) was a simple plywood base. It's based on a photo which shows C/1/9 Cav helicopters in the open on dirt parking without revetments. Suits the kind of simplicity I like!

I added various vents, tail "stinger", and beacon mount/light from scratch, and various extra details in the cockpit, rotors etc. I think for such an old kit, it's very well served with very high quality aftermarket items, and scrubs up very nicely!

I am happy to answer questions and offer any tips on the build process if anyone else is making one of these.

All the best, Edge

Excellent work! May i Ask where you got your references for the cobra?

Excellent work! May i Ask where you got your references for the cobra?

Thanks a lot.

Mostly Vietnam websites, Randy Zahn's book and photos, Osprey's "AH-1 Cobra Units in Vietnam" by Jonathan Bernstein, and "Cobra: Fifty Years of Sharks Teeth and Fangs" by Mike Verier.

(I like Cobras!)

Al

• Like 2

Thanks a lot.

Mostly Vietnam websites, Randy Zahn's book and photos, Osprey's "AH-1 Cobra Units in Vietnam" by Jonathan Bernstein, and "Cobra: Fifty Years of Sharks Teeth and Fangs" by Mike Verier.

(I like Cobras!)

Al

Ahh I must get randys book! Spooky enough I wanted to do Randys cobra after seeing it in the osprey book And special hobby doing it as an option.

• 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, Rob 1 said:

A bit late on here, but just reading Snake Pilot at the moment, and stumbled across this build . . very good indeed!

Thanks Rob 👍 Just got the ICM 1/32 Cobra so looking forward to making more!

• Like 2

Hi Carl,

that is fantastic! Especially I love these very cool looking pilots. Your painting skills on the both are very convincing. And the old kit ? I think you’ve done justice to it in all point. The cockpit is spot on and the clear vacuum parts are amazing…. So now I am looking forward for your ICM Cobra! !!!!

All the best 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

So now I am looking forward for your ICM Cobra! !!!!

Thank you very much indeed Andy, very much appreciated. I am also looking forward to the ICM kit!

32 minutes ago, Remus389 said:

Excellent work on that ancient kit! 🙂👍

Thank you, it is worth the effort but takes a lot of effort to modernise!

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/13/2021 at 4:55 AM, Andy Dyck said:

So now I am looking forward for your ICM Cobra! !!!!

Thanks again Andy, the ICM version is now underway here:

On 11/14/2021 at 7:14 PM, Viking said:

So it's only taken 7 years for me to spot this beauty! Great work on the old Revell kit, and the little dio really makes an excellent way to display it.

Cheers

John

Equally belatedly, thanks very much John! 

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kool-aid is an American drinks powder akin to Cremola Foam.

It was made famous in the late sixties by Tom Wolfe in his book "The Electric Kool~Aid Acid Test" which recounted the exploits Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters who toured the US in a gaily painted school bus called "Furthur" holding acid tests where the participants consumed Kool-Aid laced with LSD.

No doubt these cult happenings and Tom Wolfe's book would be well known to the American Vietnam generation.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dromia said:

Kool-aid[...]was made famous in the late sixties by Tom Wolfe in his book "The Electric Kool~Aid Acid Test" which recounted the exploits Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters who toured the US in a gaily painted school bus called "Furthur" holding acid tests where the participants consumed Kool-Aid laced with LSD.

No doubt these cult happenings and Tom Wolfe's book would be well known to the American Vietnam generation.

Every day's a school day! Thanks for the info. 

19 hours ago, Tomjw said:

That is an awesome build Alan. Anything with sharks teeth grabs my attention.

Cheers,

Tom

Same! Always looks great on a Cobra as well. Thanks a lot 👍

• Like 1