Two 1/48 Mk.Vb Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (new) - Spitfire collection expansion project - FINISHED! - photos now in the RFI section - 08/06/15

Hi Stix, excellent progress over the WE! I can't really tell from the pics which IP I like more, if the Airfix decal one or the Tamiya PE, but I'm leaning towards the former ...

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi giemme and is it windy yet. Thank you.

Giemme - I have to say the PE version looks better in real life than it does in the photos but it will be interesting to see how they both look once they are buttoned up in the cockpits. The Eduard decal version does look good, and as I mentioned before, it has really settled well over the raised detail on the panel.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

It does looks good.Why to use PE if decals are Ok. I think it's easier to work with them

I actually found th Eduard PE IP for the Tamiya kit easier to put together than the one I did for the Mk.IX - but I think it was because I was more prepared - having already made one up. I also think the Eduard decal version was particularly good. I didn't try the actual Airfix decal but I might this weekend, just to see how well it works. It may depend on how well decals settle over the quite intricate detail on the panel.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

I've been following your dual build closely since I'm doing the same thing ('cept I'm not bothering to correct the dimensional issues on the Tamiya kit).

I found that the Airfix instrument panel decal fit quite well and conformed to the detail with liberal applications of Solvaset. After it dried there were a few air bubbles that needed to be pricked/sliced and bedded down with more Solvaset.

The one issue I found was the gauge at the lower left corner of the panel:

AirfixSpitVbIP_zps042af364.jpg

I would suggest cutting it away from the decal and applying it separately. The other minor alignment issues that you can see in my pic are a result of me rotating the decal counter-clockwise just a wee bit.To be honest, with 5-minute epoxy applied to the gauges and the panel installed, the misalignment isn't noticeable at all.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 2

Hi Tony,

Thank you for stopping by and for your photo of the panel. If I do get chance I will make up the Airfix IP and put all three alongside each other so they can be compared. Yours looks like it worked excellently and thank you for the tip about the lower left gauge.

Kind regards,

Stix

Actually this weekend seems to have come around really quickly this week - which is a good thing!

Started work early again this morning. Started by giving the seats a drybrushing with a lightened version of Revell's Rust (the base colour). I then gave everything that had been previously painted with Humbrol's Cockpit Green and Aluminium a thin wash of Revell's Anthracite. When everything was dry I drybrushed lighter versions of the green and aluminium colours to pick out highlights.

Next job was some assembly around the seats -

Airfix left and Tamiya right:

15682212382_d1390d7502_c.jpg

15680619895_1c453d88e9_c.jpg

Tamiya left and Airfix right:

15060683284_2edd08ca08_c.jpg

These next photos show how the cockpit sides look after their wash and drybrushing -

Airfix:

15060681844_d188b0e26a_c.jpg

15060676414_81d67f16db_c.jpg

Tamiya:

15061256963_9fd06282a2_c.jpg

15680614265_7cdab16642_c.jpg

Finally today, following on from Tony's post above, I decided I would have a go at seeing what the Airfix IP decal would look like when in place on the panel Airfix supply - even though I'm not going to use it (I'm using the left over IP and decal from my Eduard Mk.IX build).

First off I painted the IP with Anthracite before drybrushing it with light grey. Finally I gave it a coat of Pledge. Following Tony's advice I cut off the bottom left gauge as, like Tony found, it doesn't align with the raised detail on the panel:

15495813140_330d21cc45_c.jpg

Then I soaked the decal in Humbrol's DecalFix for a while before applying it. This is what it looked like after about 20 minutes - it's still wet with DecalFix in this photo:

15495220878_9eaa7d55e2_c.jpg

I leave it to dry until tomorrow when I'll give it a coat of Pledge before matt varnishing it. I'll then get a photo taken of all three panels together.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

That looks like a good fit, the top middle instrument doesn't look anything like an artificial horizon though, more like a dual fuel/pressure gauge.

Still tempted but resisting (so far).

John

PS which seat back pad do you think is correct? I saw a picture of MH434's seat out of the aircraft recently and it was definitely the shorter type. Where's Edgar?

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

That looks like a good fit, the top middle instrument doesn't look anything like an artificial horizon though, more like a dual fuel/pressure gauge.

Still tempted but resisting (so far).

John

PS which seat back pad do you think is correct? I saw a picture of MH434's seat out of the aircraft recently and it was definitely the shorter type. Where's Edgar?

Hi John. Yes it looks better than I thought it might but, in my opinion doesn't look as nice as the Eduard panel and decal. It does line up well apart from that bottom left bit - but that wasn't too difficult to sort - a bit fiddly but okay. It was good Tony mentioned it.

With regards the seat I'm not sure. I'm sure somebody will be able to let us know but I'm not going to worry about it. They both look okay to me - they both have features which appear to be right or wrong depending on which photos you look at. Once the seat belts are on and both seats are located in place they'll look much better than any Spifire seat I ever expected to be able to put together!

Thank you for stopping by - hope you have a pleasant evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Well it was a fun morning with PhotoEtch seat belts today!!

I foolishly imagined that, because I'd made some up before, it would be easier to do these! My mistake. I'd even decided to go back on my word not to use any aftermarket stuff for the Airfix kit - I'd bought some Eduard PE seat belts for a future project and thought I'd use one of the spare sets instead of making my own from Tamiya masking tape.

After a reasonable amount of swearing and crawling around on the floor looking for the same part that went flying twice (found it both times!!! - which doesn't usually happen! Mrs PlaStix is usually better at finding these than I am!), CA deciding to not stick anything to anything and bits sticking to me rather than what they should, I ended up with these:

15690977222_5cc787d95e_c.jpg

15665661196_12162d334c_c.jpg

They seem to have turned out okay despite the struggle.

I also finished off the Airfix IP with it's decal - it had a coat of matt varnish and Pledge on the dials.

This is how they look together -

Tamiya on the left with the Eduard PE IP, Airfix bulkhead with the leftover Eduard Mk.IX IP and decal (in the middle) and the Airfix IP panel and decal on the right:

15504177427_4f53d0c7a5_c.jpg

And that's all I had time for this morning. The time just flew by - I have to say I enjoyed it despite the trials and tribulations with the PE.

Roll on next weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 11

Hey Stix

Looking good there mate, I've never used PE seat belts I prefer to use the HGW alternatives in 1/48 and RB productions in 1/32-1/24 also those IP's are looking pretty sharp too, even the Airfix decal which (as John pointed out) is a work of fiction with regards to the instruments but look good and TBH unless your a real Spitfire aficionado they are fine as a representation of the IP.

Keep up the great work mate I enjoy watching your builds come together.

Iain

• Like 1

Hey Stix

Looking good there mate, I've never used PE seat belts I prefer to use the HGW alternatives in 1/48 and RB productions in 1/32-1/24 also those IP's are looking pretty sharp too, even the Airfix decal which (as John pointed out) is a work of fiction with regards to the instruments but look good and TBH unless your a real Spitfire aficionado they are fine as a representation of the IP.

Keep up the great work mate I enjoy watching your builds come together.

Iain

Hi Iain. Thanks for stopping by and for your comments. I might have to try some of those HGW belts at some point - I just had a look at their website and they do look smart. With regards these PE ones I'm not sure it was the PE particularly at fault - I was having one of those days yesterday anyway!

I agree - the Airfix decal isn't too bad and I think with the addition of a bit of painted detail on some of the other features it could look okay.

Thank you,

I have a missing parts finder also, she's younger than me and has better eyesight. The dogs also try to help but if one of them finds anything I usually get it back chewed if at all!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

John

Hi John. I'll say this a bit quietly - mine is slightly older but with better eyesight and more patience!

Cheers.

Can't believe there's a whole 5 days before I get to do anymore work on these! :-(

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Thank you giemme. I do quite like these types of PE seat belts and although they can be tricky (like a lot of PE stuff I find!!) they look the part. Using Tamiya masking tape, which was my original plan for the Airfix kit, can also be fiddly to do.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Great work so far and a very good source of informations for both kits, Have both kits and the old Airfix V in my stash and they will land at some time on my crowded bench,

Will the Eduard PE set for Tamiya work on the Airfix Spit too ?

• Like 1

Cant wait to see how this unfolds wondering what to get the airfix blenheim mk1 or the airfix spitfire mkvb 1/48

tmaci6 - I'm not really far enough into the build of these to be able to properly comment on how good the Airfix Vb is overall. The bits I've done seem good and the rest of the parts in the box look pretty nice. I think both this new Mk.Vb and the new Blenheim are rated well by modelers although both have issues in places.

I like your attention to the details. Cant wait until i see those seats on their place.

Cheers

Thank you sdk_uk. As you already know I really enjoy working on these cockpits - it's one of my favorite things of building kits.

Great work so far and a very good source of informations for both kits, Have both kits and the old Airfix V in my stash and they will land at some time on my crowded bench,

Will the Eduard PE set for Tamiya work on the Airfix Spit too ?

Hi BerndM. Thank you for your comments. When I get chance I'll check for you. I think it may do with a little bit of fettling and tweaking. I managed to get the actual Eduard plastic and decal IP to fit by altering it's top a little. I think the inside of the cockpit top could be altered instead to get the PE version to fit. It may not be until the weekend that I get chance to compare them.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

tmaci6 - I'm not really far enough into the build of these to be able to properly comment on how good the Airfix Vb is overall. The bits I've done seem good and the rest of the parts in the box look pretty nice. I think both this new Mk.Vb and the new Blenheim are rated well by modelers although both have issues in places.

Thank you sdk_uk. As you already know I really enjoy working on these cockpits - it's one of my favorite things of building kits.

Hi BerndM. Thank you for your comments. When I get chance I'll check for you. I think it may do with a little bit of fettling and tweaking. I managed to get the actual Eduard plastic and decal IP to fit by altering it's top a little. I think the inside of the cockpit top could be altered instead to get the PE version to fit. It may not be until the weekend that I get chance to compare them.

Kind regards,

Stix

That would be very nice, i feel the new AX Vb has a nice cockpit but it can be impreved a little bit, the Eduard PE set for Tamiya is much cheaper to get.

Thanks/Cheers

Bernd

Just joining in on this - and obviously this is NOT Airfix's original Spit V kit! Another for the shopping list...

Thanks for sharing (everyone!), very interesting.

Regards, Robert

All three of those panels look pretty darned good but if I were to be forced to choose, I'd say the plastic Eduard Mk.IX IP and decal looks the best, at least judging by the photo.

As far as the seats go, I'd give the edge to Airfix - IMHO, the Tamiya seat is far too broad. Conversely, the Airfix seat looks a bit too narrow to my eye, but still better nonetheless.

Of course Ultracast makes a very nice resin replacement that is considerably more accurate looking than either Airfix or Tamiya. I considered using the Ultracast seat for my build, but mounting it to the armour and seat frame would have involved some fiddly scratch building that I simply wasn't willing to get into right now.

Cheers,

Tony

That would be very nice, i feel the new AX Vb has a nice cockpit but it can be impreved a little bit, the Eduard PE set for Tamiya is much cheaper to get.

Thanks/Cheers

Bernd

Hopefully I'll get some photos done tomorrow BerndM and I agree about the price.

Just joining in on this - and obviously this is NOT Airfix's original Spit V kit! Another for the shopping list...

Thanks for sharing (everyone!), very interesting.

Regards, Robert

Hi Robert and welcome along. No you are right it's not the original and so far this new one does seem rather nice.

All three of those panels look pretty darned good but if I were to be forced to choose, I'd say the plastic Eduard Mk.IX IP and decal looks the best, at least judging by the photo.

As far as the seats go, I'd give the edge to Airfix - IMHO, the Tamiya seat is far too broad. Conversely, the Airfix seat looks a bit too narrow to my eye, but still better nonetheless.

Of course Ultracast makes a very nice resin replacement that is considerably more accurate looking than either Airfix or Tamiya. I considered using the Ultracast seat for my build, but mounting it to the armour and seat frame would have involved some fiddly scratch building that I simply wasn't willing to get into right now.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony - thank you for stopping by again. I have to say the Eduard decal on the Eduard IP does look pretty good and once it's in the cockpit it will give a very good impression.

Thank you for the link to the Ultracast seat - I will keep that in mind for future reference - it looks very nice but like you say there's going to be extra work involved to get it in.

The Airfix seat does seem to be closer in appearance to the actual seat but I agree, it does look a bit on the narrow side.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

NO! Hope they do though, with the 75th Anniversary of the BoB coming up it would be good prospect, and basically accurate OOB 1/48th Hurricane would be a boon, especially at this price.

Agree 100% Troy, can,t believe the guys at Airfix will have not have this in the pipeline a definite money maker!