Two 1/48 Mk.Vb Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (new) - Spitfire collection expansion project - FINISHED! - photos now in the RFI section - 08/06/15

Looking wonderful still, Its really inspiring me to crack on with my Tamiya Vb Its a beautiful kit. Really must try the Eduard mk9 too. Love spits its true you cant ever tire of them :)

• Like 1

It looks good from my phone, can't wait to see it on a bigger screen (but it's going to happen in a couple of days...)

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Nice update stix, good to see you taking a break from the tanks (nog that there is anything wrong with a bit of armour)

Hopefully see some more soon. Good luck with the panzers as well

Rob

• Like 1

Good job, just the right amount of weathering. good to see some progress here.

Hi Bernd. Thank you. I don't think I'm going to weather this one as much as I'd originally planned - some photos of ithe actual aircraft show it looking very well used. I think I'll go for something earlier in it's career.

Glad this is back on Stix. Can't wait for the finished products. Especially if you're doing backdrops etc :Tasty::Tasty:

Hi Nigel. Nor can I! I have some ideas for a small diorama but I'll have to wait and see if an idea I have works the way I hope it will.

Stix,

AMAZING work .... :wow::goodjob:

keep it coming... its quite a build with so much to learn from...

have a nice week end...

HOUSTON :popcorn:

Hi Houston!! Hope you are keeping well. Thank you and you are very kind as always. I hope you have had a good weekend too.

Looking wonderful still, Its really inspiring me to crack on with my Tamiya Vb Its a beautiful kit. Really must try the Eduard mk9 too. Love spits its true you cant ever tire of them :)

Hi Rob. Thank you for your kind comments. I've been looking at it in a bit more detail with doing the panel line washes, and you're right; there is some excellent detailing on it - more than on the Airfix version.

Nice update stix, good to see you taking a break from the tanks (nog that there is anything wrong with a bit of armour)

Hopefully see some more soon. Good luck with the panzers as well

Rob

Hi Rob. Thank you for your kind comments. It was good to get some work done on this project again. I've done some more today which I will include some photos of below. I didn't do much on the Sherman today because I wanted to get more done on the Tamiya Vb.

Welcome back Stix, glad to see you back at work on the wingy twins :winkgrin:

Hi Julian. Thank you!

First up today I got some washes on the upper surfaces and did some work on the exhaust stains. The latter look a bit heavy in a couple of the photos but actually look okay in reality. I think the light quality wasn't very good this morning and it doesn't help that the rest of the Spitfire is still in it's coat of Pledge:

17274217721_d6b3f0ff66_c.jpg

16654488143_37a6455cd4_c.jpg

Then I added the staining behind the machine gun and shell ejection ports:

17248745066_bfe757207e_c.jpg

Before moving onto doing the chipping/dirt areas on the wing roots:

17274705645_cbf97dc6bc_c.jpg

17274703965_a8d3045e60_c.jpg

16654481993_416ed48c39_c.jpg

17248738316_2b2690310a_c.jpg

Finally I did some of the oil leak staining underneath:

17272913482_7659a85fb8_c.jpg

Next week I'm going to mask the canopy ready for a coat of matt varnish and then I'll see whether I want to do any more weathering.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8

This is looking simply great, together with the flawless painting and decaling, the stains are looking really realistic and not overdone.

:goodjob:

When it come to building my Spitfires i will have again more than one long look on this and your other Spitfires.

• Like 1

Stix, watching this on the big screen shows a very effective and perfectly balanced weathering job! :wow:

In case you want to go further, I'm sending a PM with pictures of the real AC, just to see how badly worn it was.

Ciao

• Like 1

That's some great weathering work Stix.

Thank you Cookenbacher - that's very kind of you to say!

Great oil streaks on the belly Stix. I overdid them on mine and have repainted the area so will try again soon.

Good to see you back with these.

Regards

John

Hi John. Thank you for your comments. Speaking of your project(s) - not seen any updates recently..........how are they going?

This is looking simply great, together with the flawless painting and decaling, the stains are looking really realistic and not overdone.

:goodjob:

When it come to building my Spitfires i will have again more than one long look on this and your other Spitfires.

Hi Bernd - thank you as always for your comments - you are too kind! I shall look forward to following your Spitfire builds when you start.

Stix, watching this on the big screen shows a very effective and perfectly balanced weathering job! :wow:

In case you want to go further, I'm sending a PM with pictures of the real AC, just to see how badly worn it was.

Ciao

Hi giemme. Thank you!! You are too kind!

And thank you for the photos - I hadn't seen them. I have replied to your PM.

You are quite correct - the photos seem to show it was extremely well used!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with your Vb.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Hi Stix,

I now have the transfers I need to complete my Spitfire tanks to Tonyot, so that should be resuming soon, and I'm in the (slow) process of painting the cockpit and seat of my Mirage 2000. Unfortunately life has intervened again recently in the shape of fencing and clearing a new field for the horses, but I hope to resume modelling next week. Thanks for asking

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

I now have the transfers I need to complete my Spitfire tanks to Tonyot, so that should be resuming soon, and I'm in the (slow) process of painting the cockpit and seat of my Mirage 2000. Unfortunately life has intervened again recently in the shape of fencing and clearing a new field for the horses, but I hope to resume modelling next week. Thanks for asking

Cheers

John

Hi John - good news about the transfers and I look forward to seeing the results of your work on the seat.............whenever you get chance to post some photos.

Very nice, and I have some pointers for my next spitfire.

Thank you Simon.

I'm currently hoping the weather is fine at the weekend so I can get down to the shed to do some spraying of some rattle-can matt varnish.

Kind regards,

Stix

Yay!!! Progress!!! Love it, awesome weathering

Thank you Noah. That's very kind of you.

I'm hoping the weather is going to be as nice tomorrow morning as it is now......then I'll be able to get into the shed to do some varnishing.

Kind regards,

Stix

As I mentioned earlier - my plan for today's build was to get some matt varnish on the Tamiya Vb but I began by getting a light panel line wash on the undersides of the Airfix kit. I used Revell's Gunship Grey thinned with a lot with water:

17339993302_0d9b77bf20_c.jpg

I apologise about the light quality in all these photos but it was dull outside and I was having to rely on the electric lights in the kitchen.

Then I did some more light weathering and tidying up on the Tamiya kit before masking the canopy and giving it a couple of coats of Humbrol's acrylic matt varnish from a rattlecan:

17341506411_9b54c10bff_c.jpg

Both kits side by side at this point:

17341897935_3c44f42ab8_c.jpg

17341896075_1cb16c000c_c.jpg

And then it was time to start adding the remaining parts on the Tamiya kit and this is where it's currently at:

17341504711_7cb8820c07_c.jpg

17154087128_609953af68_c.jpg

17134438697_6f052006af_c.jpg

17154305800_1a2926aa96_c.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the weathering finished on the Airfix Vb tomorrow and possibly even the matt varnish coat on.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 10

My goodness they are looking brilliant. The tamyia one looks pretty much there with the matt added. Very much looking forward to how you finish these beauties

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

I have to agree with all the others above, they both look brilliant! And I'll definitely never catch you up with my build, I only completed the interiors last night ...

Tamiya's Spit looks terrific, I'd only point out just a couple of minor things, if you want/can correct them: according to my researches there should be no aerial from the antenna mast to the tail fin, hence no "connection" (sorry, I don't know how to call that in English) on the fin top, you should cut that away.

Conversely, there should be two aerials of the IFF system going from the tip of the tail planes to the fuselage sides (I can provide a couple of pics if you want)

Nonetheless, I really like the finish you achieved with it, top notch! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1