Two 1/48 Mk.Vb Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (new) - Spitfire collection expansion project - FINISHED! - photos now in the RFI section - 08/06/15

Hi Stix, my first Tamiya Spitfire was done as they were new, the decals on this one worked fine, good luck.

Trumpy/Hobbyboss kits are a hit and miss affair, i always say to me, : would you have noticed it for myself ? HBs M4A3 will be a relaxed build, if you like correct something.

Some month ago i have started to correct the wrong angled hull of a Revell Panther tank in 1/72, looks much better, but the turret needs still some more work as the cuppola ( The guys in revells headquarter made a misstake with counting the commanders periscopes..... :fraidnot: )

Will check out the group build, t didn t get the Matilda, the price went over my budged for this auction, there are plenty of kits in my stash, so i can wait.

• Like 2

Hi Stix, my first Tamiya Spitfire was done as they were new, the decals on this one worked fine, good luck.

Trumpy/Hobbyboss kits are a hit and miss affair, i always say to me, : would you have noticed it for myself ? HBs M4A3 will be a relaxed build, if you like correct something.

Some month ago i have started to correct the wrong angled hull of a Revell Panther tank in 1/72, looks much better, but the turret needs still some more work as the cuppola ( The guys in revells headquarter made a misstake with counting the commanders periscopes..... :fraidnot: )

Will check out the group build, t didn t get the Matilda, the price went over my budged for this auction, there are plenty of kits in my stash, so i can wait.

Hi Bernd - thank you for the positive comment about the Tamiya decals - hopefully mine will be okay too, but I will have an experiment with some spares first.

I haven't tried a Trumpeter kit and the M4A3 will be my first Hobby Boss kit. I did a little bit of review reading beforehand and it did seem to get generally favourable write-ups.

Shame about Revell with the Panther kit.

And I hope you find a suitable kit for the GB - and it's a pity the Matilda went over your budget.

STIX,,

INSPIRATIONAL build..

I think this has to be one of the quickest and BEST builds/threads I have read..

should be pinned for reference.

KUDOS :mike:

Hi Houston. Hope you are well.

Thank you as always for your fantastic support!

I'm not sure I'd agree with quickest! - With only being able to grab a couple of hours first thing on weekend mornings I don't get as much done as I'd like. I see some builds of more complex kits finished to amazingly high standards in a couple of weeks on here!! Ah well..........

Take care and I hope you have a pleasant day.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Not had a lot of time on these this weekend but I've made a start on the underside decals on the Airfix Vb. The smaller decals/stencils were fine to apply but the roundels seem quite thick and didn't want to conform to all the details. It took lots of DecalFix and Pledge to get them to look like they do now:

16361959171_14a8e98dbb_c.jpg

I have to admit I started with the Airfix decals because I was putting off struggling with the Tamiya ones - little did I know!

From next week I'm going to share my modelling time between these and the AFVs I'm going to build for the Achtung Panzer GB so progress might be even slower!! Oh well.........

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 11

Hi Stix, it's been kinda quiet here on BM this weekend, glad to see you're still with us.

It sounds like the Airfix roundels gave you a problem, I've been pondering over replacing the Mk1 roundels because the yellow outline looks a little "mustardy" to me.

Like you I haven't had too much time this weekend, hoping to post something tomorrow though.

Don't work too hard next week!

Regards

John

• Like 1

Looks good so far, the Spitfire has some detail on the underwing, that make decaling to a challenge.

Currently i am quite tempted to join the Achtung Panzer group, there is a lot of work to do in the next time but a 1/72 tank should be possible to tackle

• Like 1

Good job with those decals, Stix! From the pic, it looks like those roundels conformed pretty well, in the end. Did you cut out the portion in the dead center of them?

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Stix, have been off station building a floaty thing the last few weeks. You have made great progress. Beautiful builds :thumbsup:

H Gremlin. Thank you for your kind comments.

I've just been looking at your floaty/submergy thing - very good it is too! Going to be watching your Corsair build - looks great so far!

The decals look great from here Stix. I prefer them to be a bit tougher than have them breaking as they slide off the backing.

Hi wimbledon. Thank you and I know what you mean but, for some reason, I did struggle more than I usually do to get them to take the shape of the underlying structures. Previous Airfix decals have settled quite quickly but these were very resistant! Next weekend I'll experiment with the Tamiaya decals!

Hi Stix, it's been kinda quiet here on BM this weekend, glad to see you're still with us.

It sounds like the Airfix roundels gave you a problem, I've been pondering over replacing the Mk1 roundels because the yellow outline looks a little "mustardy" to me.

Like you I haven't had too much time this weekend, hoping to post something tomorrow though.

Don't work too hard next week!

Regards

John

Hi John. Thank you for your comments. I have to say it's the first time I have had such an issue with Airfix decals - as I mentioned above they're usually pretty good. Sounds like you might have an issue with yours too but yours are older so they have a reason! I look forward to possibly seeing an update of your progress at some point.

........I'll try not to work too hard!

Looks good so far, the Spitfire has some detail on the underwing, that make decaling to a challenge.

Currently i am quite tempted to join the Achtung Panzer group, there is a lot of work to do in the next time but a 1/72 tank should be possible to tackle

Thank you Bernd. You're right - there often seems to be challenging shapes for the decals to go over.....oh well!

..........yes - give into temptation and join the Achtung Panzer GB - it should be good!

Good job with those decals, Stix! From the pic, it looks like those roundels conformed pretty well, in the end. Did you cut out the portion in the dead center of them?

Ciao

Hi Giemme and thank you. With the shell ejection ports covered by decals; I usually wait until the decal is almost completely set and then cut the centre lines with a sharp knife. I then apply DecalFix to the area and then us a cocktail stick to gently push the decal down and out towards the edges - until it stays in place against the sides of the hole. It sometimes splits oddly and requires a little touching up, but I've found this method easier than trying to cut along the sides of the hole with a knife. When I did try doing the latter I found the knife blade can drag the decal off the surface.

Hi Stix,

A model comes to life even more when the decals are applied. This is looking better and better. Keep at it.

Hi Geedubelyer. Thank you. Yes I agree - they do tend to make a difference once they are in place.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

... but I've found this method easier than trying to cut along the sides of the hole with a knife. When I did try doing the latter I found the knife blade can drag the decal off the surface.

That's exactly what happened to me in the past, that's why I was asking. Your solution sounds really smart, must try it when I get around my Tamiya Spit

Thanks

Ciao

• Like 1

That's exactly what happened to me in the past, that's why I was asking. Your solution sounds really smart, must try it when I get around my Tamiya Spit

Thanks

Ciao

No problem. I still have to be patient while I'm doing this method as it takes a while for the decal to stick to the sides of the hole but it generally seems to create a better look.

Hello Stix,

Being gallivanting for work so not seen your latest..

PERFECTION.... KEEP IT UP

ENJOYING this build more than some....

:clap2:

{ran out of MY LIKES}

Thank you Houston - you are very kind. Hope you are keeping well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi sdk_uk. Thank you.

Yes you should definitely join the Achtung Panzer GB - it should be a great GB and it would be good to see you and your Panzer III there! Hope you have a good day too.

Hi Wolwe. Thank you and nor can I!

This morning I decided first to do some more on my Airfix Cromwell tank build. Then I was going to start something for the Achtung Panzer GB but decided I wanted to find out how bad the Tamiya decals were. And, like I had been advised, they are not great! The first one I did I don't think I left long enough in the water so when I tried to get it off the backing it fell apart. I managed to salvage it after some curse words were used. They are much thinner than the Airfix ones, which is good in some ways, but they are far more delicate. They also seem to break up quicker when going over raised detail even with DecalFix.

So, after longer than I'd hoped, I managed to get all the underside decals on the Tamiya kit:

15787006254_62e1fc203c_c.jpg

Both together:

16408561612_c2acebfa92_c.jpg

15789452353_2ae9c88e68_c.jpg

It might not be too evident from the photos but the Tamiya roundels had to touched up with all 3 colours where they split. So the upper surface decals should be fun!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

Hi Stix, glad to see you haven't deserted us aircraft nerds completely.

You have done a splendid job rescuing the Tamiya decals, I can't see the joins!

How old is your Tamiya Spitfire? The last one I finished was about 10 years ago and don't remember having problems with the decals, so perhaps yours are just past their sell by date or you got a sheet from a bad batch.

Looking good though.

John

Hi Stix, I can't see any of the touch ups you've done on the Tamiya roundels (even from a PC monitor), they look just fine to me :goodjob: . Anyway, knowing that you had trouble with them, I'll probably paint mine on when I get around my Tamiya Spitfire.

Ciao

Hi Stix, glad to see you haven't deserted us aircraft nerds completely.
You have done a splendid job rescuing the Tamiya decals, I can't see the joins!
How old is your Tamiya Spitfire? The last one I finished was about 10 years ago and don't remember having problems with the decals, so perhaps yours are just past their sell by date or you got a sheet from a bad batch.
Looking good though.
John

Hi John. I shall never desert the aircraft section - too many Spitfires and Typhoons and Hurricanes and.................... (you get the idea) to build!

It wasn't just joins - it was holes!!

Not too sure how old it is - I got it from the new Modelzone section in Brum's WHSmiths last year. So if it was old Modelzone stock I have no idea of its actual age.

You did an excellent job touching up the deacls because I can't see any trace of a tear. :winkgrin:

H Gremlin. Thank you and as I said to John above it wasn't just tears - there were a couple of holes! :weep:

Looking good, Stix. It seems with some more tlc the decal job will be successfull

And good luck for the remaining decals

Thank you Bernd - at least I'm a bit more prepared for problems now.

Hi Stix,
Looking very nice indeed. The shape issue with the Tamiya wing really stands out when it's next to the Airfix one, doesn't it?
Cheers,
Tony

Thank you Tony. Yes it does rather show the differences but at least after this people can decide which they'd prefer to build. So far, for me, the only thing which lets the Tamiya version down a bit is the aforementioned decals.

Hi Stix, I can't see any of the touch ups you've done on the Tamiya roundels (even from a PC monitor), they look just fine to me :goodjob: . Anyway, knowing that you had trouble with them, I'll probably paint mine on when I get around my Tamiya Spitfire.

Ciao

Hi giemme. Thank you. I think it would definitely be a good idea to paint what you can. If I had an airbrush.............

Super work on these two once again. Every update just gets better.

Cheers.

Thank you geedubelyer.

hey Stix,,

Good work...what are you a machine.as you seem to flying along quite nicely..

Keep it up.. nice work as usual...

{ you be careful in the weather ... I will be going to Bruntingthorpe tomorrow .... :work: }

Thank you Houston. The weather hasn't been too bad here so not much ice so far.

And I hope you enjoy or enjoyed Bruntingthorpe!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1