Two 1/48 Mk.Vb Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (new) - Spitfire collection expansion project - FINISHED! - photos now in the RFI section - 08/06/15

Good morning Stix,

nice progress on the Spitfire twins :)

Airfix doesn't seem to be too worried by wobbly aircraft undercarriage legs. Their 1/24 Typhoon is a fine example of puny legs :D

Hi Gremlin56. Thank you.

I didn't know their big Typhoon has similar issues. Seems such a shame that Airfix haven't really thought this area through better. I'm hoping they modify these joints for the Mk.I Spitfire they're releasing next year, as I'd like to build one, probably for the BoB GB.

Only one update photo today - the undercarriage parts kept me busy and interested for the whole of this morning's building session. I was quite interested to see the different levels of detail between the two kits.

Airfix parts on the left and Tamiya on the right:

16092836966_6b90deff63_c.jpg

This photo shows the parts with just the base colours on - I still need to apply some washes and do some dry-brushing. I have also drilled the tops of the Airfix legs in preparation for improving the joint with the rest of the aircraft.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Hi Gremlin56. Thank you.

I didn't know their big Typhoon has similar issues. Seems such a shame that Airfix haven't really thought this area through better. I'm hoping they modify these joints for the Mk.I Spitfire they're releasing next year, as I'd like to build one, probably for the BoB GB.

Only one update photo today - the undercarriage parts kept me busy and interested for the whole of this morning's building session. I was quite interested to see the different levels of detail between the two kits.

Airfix parts on the left and Tamiya on the right:

16092836966_6b90deff63_c.jpg

This photo shows the parts with just the base colours on - I still need to apply some washes and do some dry-brushing. I have also drilled the tops of the Airfix legs in preparation for improving the joint with the rest of the aircraft.

Kind regards,

Stix

These look great. Is it me or do the Tamiya parts have the edge when it comes to the detail??

• Like 2

These look great. Is it me or do the Tamiya parts have the edge when it comes to the detail??

Yes the Tamiya kit does seem to include quite a bit more detail all over. Perhaps Airfix figured that in this scale they wouldn't include as much - which is a shame.

Speaking of detail; this morning I spent the time adding some missing cables and wires to each plus the missing uplock lugs on the Airfix version:

15941781037_e95c646f7b_c.jpg

I also got the first wash on all the undercarriage parts but didn't take a photo.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Nice work on the under carriage, Stix. Nice break lines.

The wheels of the Spitfire are still puzzling me, a Vb needs 5spoke and a mid war IX need ???

Thats just one point..... :hmmm: Bulges, yes, no, maybe...not an easy type :hypnotised:

Keep up the great work

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Uplock legs eh, you'll be talking about trunnions next.

Finished by New Year? Go on, you're a brush painter you don't have to do all that faffing about with airbrushes etc.

John

In case you're wondering, my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

Hi John. Trunnion - had to look it up online! Mmmmm..........only reason I found the term 'Uplock lugs' was because I realised the Airfix parts seemed to be missing the sticky outy bits evident on the Tamiya kit, so I checked in a manual I have to see what they are called!!

Finished by the New Year! Judging by how long it's taken me just to do the undercarriage I sincerely doubt it!

You airbrushers think you have it tough? Now let me tell you ....................

Yes I realised your comment was in jest!

Nice work on the under carriage, Stix. Nice break lines.

The wheels of the Spitfire are still puzzling me, a Vb needs 5spoke and a mid war IX need ???

Thats just one point..... :hmmm: Bulges, yes, no, maybe...not an easy type :hypnotised:

Keep up the great work

Cheers

Bernd

Hi Bernd. Thank you as always for your kind comments.

With regards the wheels - I'm afraid I only put together the parts provided in the kit unless I find out early enough that there's a fairly simple fix or replacement. I'm sure Troy or Tony or many others on Britmodeller will be far more knowledgeable about the real thing than I am.

I'll post another small update in a while.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Hi giemme. Thank you. Yes the Tamiya kit does seem to have the edge in terms of detail - whether it's accurate though is a matter for the experts!

This morning I decided to only get the undercarriage done so I could do a bit more work on my 1/76 Airfix Tiger 1, which I wanted to get closer to being finished - which is what I did. If anyone wants to check out the Tiger build thread it can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971585-airfix-176-tiger-i-yeah-that-old-one-upgraded-a-bit-update-071214/

This morning I finished off the washes and did a bit of dry-brushing:

15949494170_b375191e51_c.jpg

Before gluing the wheels on:

16134893791_0d4aa8ce49_c.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish the filling and sanding on both fuselages and then I'll do the pre-shading.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Hi giemme. Thank you. Yes the Tamiya kit does seem to have the edge in terms of detail - whether it's accurate though is a matter for the experts!

This morning I decided to only get the undercarriage done so I could do a bit more work on my 1/76 Airfix Tiger 1, which I wanted to get closer to being finished - which is what I did. If anyone wants to check out the Tiger build thread it can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971585-airfix-176-tiger-i-yeah-that-old-one-upgraded-a-bit-update-071214/

This morning I finished off the washes and did a bit of dry-brushing:

15949494170_b375191e51_c.jpg

Before gluing the wheels on:

16134893791_0d4aa8ce49_c.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish the filling and sanding on both fuselages and then I'll do the pre-shading.

Kind regards,

Stix

Looking awesome Stix.

Top job....really great

All that trunnion talk from Biggles is great because I know sweet FA about the engineering side of aircraft but I love learning!

All looking good from this end....

Chocks away!

• Like 1

I had bunions once on my tows ...same thing??? LOL :coolio::thumbsup:

I think it may be the same thing?! Not had bunions but my legs do lock up occasionally - so that's the uplock legs then? It's all more medical than engineering from where I'm sitting!

• Like 2

Amazing what a difference the wash makes, isn't it? One thing I've had good results with in lieu of the traditional oil/enamel wash is using a clear acrylic satin (Polly Scale or Vallejo) mixed with a bit of India Ink. This only really works on fiddly bits like landing gear or cockpit details, as opposed to panel lines.

There seems to be a pretty noticeable difference between the sizes of the Tamiya and Airfix wheel hubs. I wonder which one is (more) correct? According to Montforton, the 5-spoke hub diameter is 11.46"

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tbell
  • Like 2

OK, answering my own question here.

11.46" scales out to 6.06 mm (apologies for the mixed units - I'm Canadian!) The Tamiya hub is 6.50 mm diameter and the Airfix hub is 6.05 mm, so it seems the latter is more accurate. Now, 0.45 mm isn't much, but the Tamiya tire is 12.50 mm whereas the Airfix tire is 12.75 mm. The larger hub and smaller tire makes for a visible difference.

Again according to Montforton, the tire diameter is 23.875" which scales out to 12.63 mm, right smack between Tamiya and Airfix.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 3

Hi Tony. Thank you for doing the working out on this one. Fascinating stuff! Makes me wonder how they decide what sizes they are going to use.

I have done some work on these two but not taken any photos this morning. I've finished the filling and sanding on both and started the pre-shading. I've completed the pre-shading on the underside of the Airfix kit and started the underside of the Tamiya one - completing just the undersides of the wings. Then time for modelling ran out.

Hopefully I'll get the pre-shading completed tomorrow and I'll post some photos. You never know I may even be able to start the main painting. If I do, I usually start with the colour on the undersides.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix; I really like the wash you gave to the under carriages, wonderfully brings out the details - which by the way, despite the size problems, makes me like Tamiya's ones even more. :goodjob:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hey Stix

Great work mate, the extra detail and effort your putting into these planes is gonna pay dividends in the end and IMHO the airfix wheels are better than the tamiya ones, there's just something about them that looks right to me.

All the best mate

Iain

• Like 1

Hi Stix; I really like the wash you gave to the under carriages, wonderfully brings out the details - which by the way, despite the size problems, makes me like Tamiya's ones even more. :goodjob:

Ciao

Hi giemme. Thank you. I'm always slightly surprised by how washes bring out the detail more - I know I shouldn't be by now, but I always think 'should I be doing this?' and then pleased I did!

Hey Stix

Great work mate, the extra detail and effort your putting into these planes is gonna pay dividends in the end and IMHO the airfix wheels are better than the tamiya ones, there's just something about them that looks right to me.

All the best mate

Iain

Hi Iain. Thank you for your comments. As I have been working on both kits it is interesting to see the differences in detail in the kits.

This morning my version of pre-shading took longer than I expected but I got both complete. Tamiya on the left:

16154609682_2c88b82c9d_c.jpg

15969607527_bb64492dd9_c.jpg

Tomorrow I will hopefully start the actual painting.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

This answered my question how a brush painted pre shading would look like ?

Impressive, what else.

Can t wait to see the following stages hopefully next year ;-)

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Happy New Year!

Looking forwards to the paint going on :)

First couple of coats are now on the undersides - see below.

Looking good Stix, some subtle differences in number and positioning of inspection hatches etc.

:bye:

Thank you Gremlin. The pre-shading does highlight the differences.

This answered my question how a brush painted pre shading would look like ?

Impressive, what else.

Can t wait to see the following stages hopefully next year ;-)

Cheers

Bernd

Hi Bernd. I have done it before on previous builds and it seems to work okay. It all depends on how well I can do the following coats of paint as to whether it looks like it should when finished. On a couple of occasions I have obliterated the pre-shading.

There is only one update photo from this morning showing the first couple of thinned (with water) coats of paint on the undersides - Airfix on the left in Humbrol 90 Sky and Tamiya on the right in Humbrol 127 US Ghost Grey applied with Humbrol flat brushes:

16163157882_bf796e3eb7_c.jpg

They both need one more thinned coat before I start the upper surfaces.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

Hi Stix,

This is fascinating.

I'm very eager to see how this turns out. I've seen pre-shading using an airbrush before but rarely using a hairy stick. I imagine you will be forced to apply multiple very thin coats of colour in order to allow this to show through?

I wonder how this will look once a panel line wash is applied? :hmmm:

All very exciting. Keep at it.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 2