Two 1/48 Mk.Vb Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (new) - Spitfire collection expansion project - FINISHED! - photos now in the RFI section - 08/06/15

Or get a bigger house!! I look forward to the next 2(?) as well

Sean

Can't afford a bigger house and, even if I could, I'd still need a bigger shelf! Oh well - I don't think it's going to stop me building more!
  • Like 1

Earlier in the week over in my RFI post Jerzy (JWM) noticed that the legs on the Tamiya version were at the wrong angle. When I investigated I discovered that the joints were quite 'spongy'. This morning I sorted out the problem by removing the undercarriage, drilling out the joints and inserting some styrene rod before re-gluing them both. The result is much better joints:

18762391361_80314c9d29_c.jpg

18733625666_fd094d5b1c_c.jpg

So thank you to Jerzy for pointing out the problem. Giemme also noticed that on his build of the Tamiya kit that the same joints were quite tight. If you are making this kit keep in mind that care will need to be taken when joining the undercarriage. I think I may have removed too much when I did mine - I thought some paint must have got inside the join.

...........and, if anyone is wondering, the two boxes behind are my kits for the Battle of Britain GB. Something just made me want to get them out and I have washed them in soapy water in preparation for the off in few weeks time!

Can't wait!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Now I hope they,re back in their boxes Stix out the way of temptation!,I,m making a temporary switch back to 48 scale for the GB with the Airfix Mk1,

Spitfire and Hurricane and Eduard 109e so I,ll be shadowing your Spitfire build if you don,t mind.

• Like 1

Hi Steve. Yes I promise they both went straight back into the boxes once they were dry - I managed to resist temptation by working on a tank!

I'm looking forward to following your 1/48 builds - I think it's going to be a brilliant GB! Possibly one of the best ever, judging by the enthusiasm expressed across this forum.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

in terms of the IP I'm quite impressed with the Eduard panel and decal - now it's fully settled it gives the PE IP a run for it's money.

I'm arriving very late to this modelling masterclass- I can only repeat what the others have said...simply amazing stuff! Thank you for taking the time to share your build and techniques,they will definitely be referred to when I build my Airfix Vb. One quick question-do you know if the Eduard decal available seperately or do you have to buy the whole Spitfire? :) Best wishes, Dave.

• Like 1

I'm arriving very late to this modelling masterclass- I can only repeat what the others have said...simply amazing stuff! Thank you for taking the time to share your build and techniques,they will definitely be referred to when I build my Airfix Vb. One quick question-do you know if the Eduard decal available seperately or do you have to buy the whole Spitfire? :) Best wishes, Dave.

Hi Dave. Thank you for your comments - you're very kind. With regards the Eduard IP and decal I don't think Eduard do them separately (which is a shame) but I would imagine that quite a few modellers must have them in their spares boxes - most, I would imagine, will have used the photo-etch replacements. You could try asking in the wanted or trade section of Britmodeller.

Hope you manage to get hold of them because they are very nice.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 months later...

21/08/15

If anyone is interested there is a follow up thread to this one where I am currently making the Tamiya and Airfix (new tool) 1/48 Mk.I kits. I'm using a lot of the lessons I learned from this thread. If you are interested it can be found in the Battle of Britain Group Build section here.

• Julien locked this topic
  • Greg B unlocked this topic