Two 1/48 Mk.Vb Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (new) - Spitfire collection expansion project - FINISHED! - photos now in the RFI section - 08/06/15

No you will not,

It's true that there already loads of movies but... They are not showing THE "Plastix's method".

I would be very pleased to watch and learn from a movie showing a "detailed how to" from Plastix explaining both how he paints an airplane but also a figurine.

Best regards,

Pascal

ribbon-black_68.png

Exact !

• Like 1

Hey Stix, the guys here are chasing you and pushing you into a corner :hobbyhorse::fight: Watch out, you'll end up with one of those action cam mounted on your forehead and filming every bit you do on your models ... :popcorn:

LOL!

Ciao

• Like 1

Hey Stix, the guys here are chasing you and pushing you into a corner :hobbyhorse::fight: Watch out, you'll end up with one of those action cam mounted on your forehead and filming every bit you do on your models ... :popcorn:

LOL!

Ciao

I'll buy a ticket! :popcorn::popcorn:

• Like 2

It's true that there already loads of movies but... They are not showing THE "Plastix's method".

I would be very pleased to watch and learn from a movie showing a "detailed how to" from Plastix explaining both how he paints an airplane but also a figurine.

Best regards,

Pascal

ribbon-black_68.png

I promise I will try and figure out a way to make a video. I know my iPad can record video but I'm not sure how I can support it while filming and then there's the question of editing. If anyone knows a good, free editor for iPad please let me know. The ones I've looked at on the Store look weak in places.

Exact !

That made me smile! :D

LOL!

Ciao

Forehead cam! Now there's a thought! At least that way there's absolutely no chance of me ugly mug appearing! :P

Great idea!

You too eh? :D

I'll buy a ticket! :popcorn::popcorn:

Will that be credit card or cheque? ;)

Hi Stix, been following your builds with great interest. Excellent work picked up quite a few tips along the way.

Thank you.

Cheers,

George

Hi George. Thank you for stopping by and for your interest. Second ever post on BM! Welcome! Hope you have a great time here.

I will try and figure out a way of making a video of how I paint with the old hairy sticks. However, I will either have to wait until I start work on something for the Achtung Panzer GB anyway or I'll get another kit underway in the meantime to demonstrate on.

Thank you to everyone for your continued interest and can I mention it's Saturday tomorrow!!!! Model building time!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

I promise I will try and figure out a way to make a video. I know my iPad can record video but I'm not sure how I can support it while filming and then there's the question of editing. If anyone knows a good, free editor for iPad please let me know. The ones I've looked at on the Store look weak in places.

http://www.freemake.com/blog/top-5-iphone-video-editors-for-movie-producing/These should be on iPad, i have heard Splice is the best from many websites

Hi tmaci6. I will check that out. Thank you.

This morning I got another coat of paint on both kits and I think they now look about right:

16059142527_49a25d489e_c.jpg

Then I painted the frames of the canopy parts with Humbrol 116, US Dark Green. I've done this at this stage to try and make sure it blends in better when I paint the camouflage on the rest of the aircraft.

Airfix:

16244989715_36b9603f82_c.jpg

15622564224_4b81348190_c.jpg

Tamiya:

16058845259_b95b32a20c_c.jpg

16059132057_06c0da8300_c.jpg

I decided to let all this dry well before starting the camouflage painting so I got the base coats on the props. I used Revell's Anthracite.

Airfix prop on the left:

16243114311_20348d12eb_c.jpg

Next up will be painting the camo.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Stix, mate, you're getting better and better with your painting! Such a smooth finish, I'm in total admiration

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

Thank you giemme.

Unusually for a Saturday I managed to find a bit of time to work on these so I started work on the first coats of Humbrol's 116 US Dark Green for the camo.

Airfix on the left:

15624490594_2df8779200_c.jpg

16246073622_5c3776d7b9_c.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the camo finished tomorrow and then it will be time for some coats of Pledge in preparation for the decals.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

Looks brilliant, your brushed on camo is really impressive.

Brush painting is maybe the best way to archieve the hard edged curvy RAF scheme, always a challenge to mask.

For me, i am polishing the surfaces after applying the coat of gloss with tooth paste the get a really smooth finish.

After this the decals look (should) like painted on.

Great modelling !

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Looking great Stix. :wow:

I know the BoB GB is months away yet but these builds are really making me look forward to it!!

Out of curiosity, what Pledge do you use? The new formula in the white bottle or the original 'Klear'?

• Like 1

Stix, how did you get such a tidy result on the canopy framing? I'm also building a 1/48 scale Airfix Spitfire (the mark I/II though, rather than the Vb) and even using some pre-cut masks on the canopy, I didn't get a result as good as yours!

• Like 1

You are some sort of magician Stix.

I was digging about in some boxes the other day looking for Spit bits when I came across a brush painted Spitfire Vc which I had forgotten about. I will post a pic when I get started on the Mk1and you will see that I have a long way to go to reach your standard.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Loving it Stix.

Humbrol 116 is a cracking green IMHO.

Mate you get a better finish with the brush than I do with the blowey air thingy.

Do you freehand the camo ormark it out in some way and then fill in?

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Looks brilliant, your brushed on camo is really impressive.

Brush painting is maybe the best way to archieve the hard edged curvy RAF scheme, always a challenge to mask.

For me, i am polishing the surfaces after applying the coat of gloss with tooth paste the get a really smooth finish.

After this the decals look (should) like painted on.

Great modelling !

Cheers

Bernd

Hi Bernd. Thank you. On my first Spitfire I did try masking the camo pattern but, because I brush paint, I found I spent a lot of time cleaning up where paint had seeped under the tape. I also found I got raised edges along where paint pooled against where the tape had been. So I tried painting freehand as an experiment. It can be quite difficult at times trying to keep the paint flowing and following where the camo goes, especially as it moves from wings to fuselage or from one side to the other - trying to remember to look at the correct painting guide diagram can be a challenge at these points!

I have never thought of using toothpaste for a smoother finish. I will have a bit of an experiment.

Looking great Stix. :wow:

I know the BoB GB is months away yet but these builds are really making me look forward to it!!

Out of curiosity, what Pledge do you use? The new formula in the white bottle or the original 'Klear'?

Thank you wimbledon. I'm looking forward to seeing your build during the BoB GB. With regards the Pledge I use the new version in the white bottle. Got it pretty cheap from Asda, I think.

This camo looks great.

it is nice to watch how your spits are growing :)

Cheers

Thank you sdk_uk. Always nice to see you stop by.

Amazing work Stix, blows me a way how you do this without an airbrush :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Thank you Gremlin. It surprises me sometimes too - thinking back to how my brush painting used to be!!

Stix, how did you get such a tidy result on the canopy framing? I'm also building a 1/48 scale Airfix Spitfire (the mark I/II though, rather than the Vb) and even using some pre-cut masks on the canopy, I didn't get a result as good as yours!

Hi Shoggz. Thank you for your comments and question. The framing for the canopies are painted with thinned acrylic paints (thinned with water) applied with a fine brush. I build up perhaps two or three or more thin coats. I try to follow and stay in the lines of the frame as much as possible. I do frequently go onto the parts that should be transparent but I clean these mistakes up with the end or side of cocktail sticks. The trick when using cocktail sticks is to push into the frame, mostly with the side of the cocktail stick next to the point, rather than drag the point along the frame edge. If you do the later it can drag paint off the frame. This method of painting frames will obviously only work with acrylic paints. If you use enamels I'm not sure the paint will come away - I've not tried. If some of this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll take a couple of photos to try and explain it better!

You are some sort of magician Stix.

I was digging about in some boxes the other day looking for Spit bits when I came across a brush painted Spitfire Vc which I had forgotten about. I will post a pic when I get started on the Mk1and you will see that I have a long way to go to reach your standard.

Cheers

John

Hi John. Thank you for the very kind comments. I look forward to seeing you Spitfire when you post some photos of your progress. My first one didn't look like these do!

Loving it Stix.

Humbrol 116 is a cracking green IMHO.

Mate you get a better finish with the brush than I do with the blowey air thingy.

Do you freehand the camo ormark it out in some way and then fill in?

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce. Thank you for your very kind comments.

116 does seem to look okay. It sometimes looks a bit dark to me compared with some other Spitfires on BM but it tends to look better once it's been coated with matt varnish!

With regards the camo I don't mark anything out. I just carefully follow the painting diagrams on the instructions plus any photos I have of the actual plane - if I have them. As I mentioned above it's not always easy when changing from following a diagram from wings to fuselage or from one side to the other! But I think I get a better result this way than I did trying to mask camo areas.

Great stix

What glue do you use?

-Tmaci6

Hi Tmaci6. Thank you. I use Revell's Contaca Professional. The one with the very fine metal application tube. It seems to flow better than some of the other glues I've tried. I don't always use the application tube but rather put a small amount of glue onto my trusty plate and then use a cocktail stick to apply the glue to the surfaces to be joined - this works better for smaller parts to be joined so I don't get too much glue on them.

I have done some work on both Spitfires and I will post some photos later.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Using tooth paste is a bit like polishing the car, due to the abrasive effect, i tried this the first time on my Ju 88 A-1 project with a good result.

Its still "on the way" i hope i finish her in the next time, here is a link, i thing it was worth the extra work.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/478986/message/1417961474/Revell+Ju+88+A-1+1-32

Cheers

Bernd

Hey Stix

Nice work mate - nuff said

Iain

Hi Iain,

Cheers!

Right today's update. Spent a fair chunk of time applying 116 to finish off the camo areas on both and then I gave all green areas a second coat. Once dry I then did some tidying up where Dark Earth and US Dark Green paint had got onto the lower surfaces and this is the result -

Airfix:

16067432629_48b0b170d6_c.jpg

Tamiya:

15633688373_2a28e6a7ec_c.jpg

Both together:

16067427179_bcdb8232c7_c.jpg

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I gave the props a second coat of paint - no photo as they look pretty much the same as last time.

I was then going to get a coat of Pledge onto both kits but, checking if I'd missed anything, I realised I hadn't painted the slightly darker shade of Sky on the appropriate chin cowling area on the Airfix kit or the Sky bands on either. I managed to get the darker shade of Sky on and the Sky band done on the Airfix kit. I will have to do the Tamiya Sky band next week as I ran out of time. Sorry about the quality of the photos but I didn't get around to taking them until late this afternoon and the light quality wasn't very good.

16256295035_54cb0100bf_c.jpg

15636416893_39e0819316_c.jpg

So the Pledge will have to go on next week. I've also spotted some areas in the photos that will need tidying up beforehand anyway.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 10