Russian Swinger

All the KZ resin bits bodged into the Trumpy Su-24, Only the windscreen to work in. Used the KZ splitter plates with Trumpeter outer intakes, this seemed to fit best with minimum sanding and the scribed detail was better. The tail needed some blending with Evergreen strip above the KZ engine cowls. Starting to look like a Fencer.

John

IMG_3420_zpsri7cd5at.jpg

IMG_3421_zpsjk9wzwvl.jpg

IMG_3422_zpsu1heswry.jpg

IMG_3424_zpsu66xset3.jpg

IMG_3425_zpslnstavjq.jpg

IMG_3429_zps1tbzvwk3.jpg

IMG_3430_zpsttsb4xrf.jpg

IMG_3431_zpsv1sz63fh.jpg

IMG_3433_zpsdzgrpth4.jpg

• Like 7

John,

I've always been tempted by one these. Looking at the resin you've used to correct the front end and the engine section, what's the reasoning? Is there a major flaw in the accuracy/construction or is it more of a 'connoisseur' of the aircraft would notice that's wrong?

Cheers,

Simon

John,

I've always been tempted by one these. Looking at the resin you've used to correct the front end and the engine section, what's the reasoning? Is there a major flaw in the accuracy/construction or is it more of a 'connoisseur' of the aircraft would notice that's wrong?

Cheers,

Simon

Just being a little anal, got a bug a few years ago about correcting everything I build. Trumpy buggered the tail end (sic), the nozzle cowls are too far apart and not pinched like the Komplekt Zip correction, the nose at the radome was slightly small in cross section and the windscreen was incorrect at the base. The rest is the modeling sickness of attempting to build the next one better than the previous one. I used to work on F-111's so I have a passion for swing wings.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In rattle can neutral gray automotive primer, a few build gaffes to adjust and a light micro-mesh 3200 rubdown, then paint. I was going to paint the wings seperately then add later, but on further review this will be the best way. Fixing the wings lift and drag surfaces were no problem. Measure 2X, dryfit and fix.

John

IMG_3455_zpsfrzdeaqz.jpg

IMG_3454_zpsco9rpi38.jpg

IMG_3451_zpsrfvmojfi.jpg

IMG_3453_zpssqbnbysm.jpg

IMG_3460_zpsfw9z1vkm.jpg

• Like 7

Stunning work in every aspect John and your detail painting in the 'pit and gear wells is particularly impressive.

• 1 month later...

The Scheme has been laid and my outlook is even better. I was going to to Bort Red 40 from the Authentic Decal sheet, but since have ordered Begemot Fencer Sheet and the current Russian Stars. I really like the White Bort numbers so a reset is in order. Gunze Mr. Color paints continue to impress me, their whites are exceptional. Tedious work ahead but here is some idea what I am going for. The resin windscreen came out better than expected but I wish it was the newer clear styrene, but oh well, have to do the best with what you got.

John

IMG_3499_zpsduy0rouc.jpg

IMG_3500_zpswdeq0w2k.jpg

IMG_3502_zpsghgeaqmf.jpg

IMG_3504_zps13zdyv6n.jpg

IMG_3505_zpsiz77bztf.jpg

IMG_3507_zpsbp68n743.jpg

IMG_3511_zps7f1fyqsq.jpg

IMG_3509_zpsm5vyetz9.jpg

IMG_3516_zpstynw974i.jpg

IMG_3514_zpslzum6tod.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finished a few things and ready to get back to work. All the work in the main gear wells done in vain. Fencers on the apron only have one narrow gear door open (At least most pictures show this). Glossed up and many markings to apply. Tedious work ahead.

John

IMG_3520_zpsqdl3br3g.jpg

IMG_3521_zpsbhinkqb3.jpg

IMG_3522_zpsgqc96pal.jpg

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing this one finished John, whats the plan for the final finish, any weathering?

Subtle in service, but not overly weathered ready for overhaul.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-Su-24M/2516723/L/&sid=2f960b0cf472db68a253678c97bc3b9d

Yip, looking good, any weapons earmarked for it?

The big external fuel tanks, PTB-3000s, pair of Laser guided bombs under the fuselage, KAB-500Ls & a pair of R-60MK Missiles on the outer pylons. That is the vision at the moment, I may go with the KAB-500KP under the fuselage. Fuel Tanks & Missiles are definite.

Lots of work left to bring it to life.

John

• Like 1

Subtle in service, but not overly weathered ready for overhaul.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-Su-24M/2516723/L/&sid=2f960b0cf472db68a253678c97bc3b9d

The big external fuel tanks, PTB-3000s, pair of Laser guided bombs under the fuselage, KAB-500Ls & a pair of R-60MK Missiles on the outer pylons. That is the vision at the moment, I may go with the KAB-500KP under the fuselage. Fuel Tanks & Missiles are definite.

Lots of work left to bring it to life.

John

Nice, that's the sweet spot I like mine to look like.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The latest, after 250+ decals (stencils) included, washes, powders and sealers. Lots of fiddly items and small paint details to go and then the Master Details static dischargers, (They are tiny) well I like the Trumpy Fencer even with corrected discrepancies, it is better than no Fencer.

John

IMG_3527_zpseytluldq.jpg

IMG_3524_zpsghndjatz.jpg

IMG_3525_zps3ndypm1x.jpg

IMG_6754_zpslw0fylpw.jpg

IMG_6744_zpstgqd91i7.jpg

• Like 5