Russian Swinger

G`day John

Big job ahead.

Great choice of camo too.

Begemot does a full stencil data in 1/48.

I think it could add heaps to a light coloured model.

Following with interest. :popcorn:

Adrian

Looking forward to this John, I too have this kit with some AM decals and KZ intakes, looking to get hold of the exhaust set too. Is it worth getting the KZ forward fuselage?

Muzz

The Komplekt Zip parts don't half improve it. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Andy

Looking forward to this John, I too have this kit with some AM decals and KZ intakes, looking to get hold of the exhaust set too. Is it worth getting the KZ forward fuselage?

Muzz

In a word "Yes".

Andy

• Like 1

Muzz

The only thing that I noticed so far on the forward fuselage is the Trump radome is slightly smaller than the KZ radome where it mates to the fuselage.

I have not compared the forward fuselage styrene to resin parts. The KZ resin forward fuselage is nicely formed and will drop fit.

John

• Like 1

I guess the resin front fuselage has a fully detailed resin pit too which (I would hope) is a drop fit?

Don't think so Phil, as far as I can see you get a canopy and some bulk heads for the cockpit but your expected to use kit seats, tub and console.

Don't think so Phil, as far as I can see you get a canopy and some bulk heads for the cockpit but your expected to use kit seats, tub and console.

Hmmm seems a bit short sighted, but then I guess we'd complain it was too expensive otherwise!

Finished removing all KZ resin parts from the pour stubs. No problems were encountered during removal using a scriber, dull #11 blade, & a small micro saw. Be carefull on the clear bits, the attachment to the pour plugs are raggedy, but the will come off cleanly, take your time. Also take care on the flame holders, they are delicate but look real nice when removed and cleaned up.

IMG_3341_zpsbb32ab94.jpg

The new rear fuselage measured 15mm and when the Trump fuselage was offered up, the cut came behind a natural rib molded in the fuselage. Note the cut off pieces in the pic below and the butt fit of the KZ replacement. All KZ pieces appear to drop fit and should pose no fit issue. The Russian dude who mastered these pieces knew what he was doing.

John

IMG_3337_zps57dac9fa.jpg

IMG_3349_zpsda5243a7.jpg

IMG_3351_zps944018cc.jpg

IMG_3353_zps820122d1.jpg

Edited by John the Yank
  • Like 1

More preliminaries, the Aires cockpit set fits darn near perfect. Only needed to remove 4 molded ribs on the inside of the KZ fuselage and minor sanding on the lower edges of the sidewalls. The nose wheel well is a drop fit after removing the pour stubs.

Comparing the KZ & Trump forward fuselages, the only differences are: the KZ nose is slightly wider radome, front windscreen narrower, and some differences in panel scribing.

John

IMG_3355_zps59d45b6c.jpg

IMG_3356_zpsd90ffb50.jpg

IMG_3358_zpsce360f2c.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Got a little Mojo back and finished off the Aires Cockpit, used the Quickboost seats because of the molded harness & belts. Nice pit, no problems with the fit in the Klomplekt Zip forward fuselage. Found the Aires Nose wheel well short in length so I will use the kit wheel wells, working to get the innards fitted so I can close the fuselage.

John

IMG_3364_zpsaa6fde3d.jpg

IMG_3366_zpsa5c2b087.jpg

IMG_3369_zpsdc9e5f19.jpg

IMG_3367_zpsf66c212d.jpg

IMG_3370_zpsecee51ab.jpg

IMG_3365_zps48082dc3.jpg

• Like 7

Closed up the fuselage after installing the refueling probe bulkhead, cockpit, wheel wells, wing attachment fixture, & rear portion of the augmentors. Roughed in now, going to have to do some re-scribing after filling joints & seam work. The engraving is really superb on this kit and inevitably some loss will occur, the engineering breakdown of the fuselage makes this certain. I spent last night smoothing in the KZ resin forward fuselage and re-scribing some lost panel lines, still have to add some rivet lines with the riveter. Next post will show some close-ups of what to expect using these KZ additions.

Thanks for looking.

John

IMG_3372_zpsrzycd8hh.jpg

IMG_3377_zps5l7pgmux.jpg

IMG_3375_zpsmbsvnaak.jpg

IMG_3374_zpss5v4obzv.jpg

IMG_3376_zpsi6tozamr.jpg

IMG_3386_zps8orbbgfy.jpg

Edited by John the Yank
  • Like 3

Finished the fitting of the KZ rear fuselage correction. The fit is pretty good with only CA & MS to smooth things in. Be careful with the resin, it is thin & delicate. I damaged the upper plate that ties in the cowls and had to make a new one out of .010 plastic sheet. Just going to wipe the joints one more time with MS 1200 & fit the vertical tail. Next up is the intakes, the KZ intakes fit pretty well so we will see how this goes together.

John

IMG_3396_zpsf1etvkbn.jpg

IMG_3391_zpsntnjnibu.jpg

IMG_3399_zpsuncgqq7o.jpg

IMG_3397_zpspp6dz6bc.jpg

IMG_3400_zpsykfsgo35.jpg