Boeing B737-200 by Ray Charles.

Posting this little beauty on behalf of Ray at 26 Decals.

Apart from the original Airfix kit and the rather dubious offering from an east European company, the only other way to add an injection moulded 737-200 to your 1/144 collection is to back-date a later version of the 737 Classics. The later -300 and -400 have been produced in kit form by both Minicraft and Daco, with the latter also providing us with -500. We are now able to build all of the Classic 737's although some surgery will be required to produce the original -100 series.

The Airfix 737-200 (recently reissued with two new livery options) is getting a bit long in the tooth and although it can be turned into fine model as we have seen on several occasions within the civil pages of the forum. Backdating one of the later versions of the ubiquitous B737 will provide us with a more up to date model of the -200 series without resorting to vac-form or resin kits.

In this instance, the superb Daco 737-300 kit fuselage has been shortened both in front of and behind the wing and the fillet ahead of the fin has been modified to curved -200 type. Wings have been altered to accept the rather special JT8D produced in resin by Authentic Airliners. Apart from a slight reduction in wing and tail span, very little else is required to the basic Daco kit. The picture below shows the modified kit prior to priming.

beforepaint_zpsacde2889.jpg

Decals are from 26DECALS. The completed model in British Airways livery.

Daco737-200BritishAirways_zpsa129b45c.jp

Thanks to Ray for allowing me to share this model with you.

Chris.

• Like 5

Hi Chris, Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

I thought I would expose the pictures using the IMG Photobucket links rather than URL links

The picture below shows the modified kit prior to priming."

beforepaint_zpsacde2889.jpg

Decals are from 26DECALS

The completed model in British Airways livery.

Daco737-200BritishAirways_zpsa129b45c.jp

Did you have to make any particular mods to the wings? I thought they were a different shape on the classic series?

• Like 1

Chris,

Is this the one you were doing or has Ray built one by coincidence? Looks great who ever did it :)

I wasn't expecting to see a thread in this section started by you :fool:

Do love the red tail scheme, must get over and see it in the flesh if it's yours?

Cheers, Neil

Hi Chris, Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

I thought I would expose the pictures using the IMG Photobucket links rather than URL links

Did you have to make any particular mods to the wings? I thought they were a different shape on the classic series?

Thanks for that Ray.

Photobucket was blaying silly buggers last night for some reason and wouldn't let me post the IMG links.

Apart from removing the engine pylons that are moulded integrally with the wings of the Daco kit, and a 8mm reduction in wingspan (overall) that's all. There should be some re-scribing done to be totally accurate but I don't condider it worth the trouble.

Chris.

You've done a cracking job on that Chris.

The only thing that I can see wrong with it is...........THERE'S NOT ENOUGH PHOTOS OF THE FINISHED KIT !!!

I demand more pics ! :eat:

mike

Hi Mike. How's things?

First off, I didn't build this one. Ray at 26DECALS is the man behind the build and a lovely job it is too.

Sadly I can't take the credit for this one, as much as I'd like to.

Regarding additional pics, I'll see if Ray has time to oblige.

All the best.

Chris.

I thought the later series had a taller fin??

Looks good but doing the mods for the Airfix kit would surely be much easier??

However...nice build. I love that earlier scheme

Hi Gary.

Regarding the tail height you are quite correct however the difference is so small it was decided not to bother with that aspect of the kit.

Using the Airfix kit would have involved a full re-scribe. The the cabin windows would need to be filled and sanded as well as alterations to the nose profile. The undercarriage gear in the Airfiv kit is rather agricultural and that too would need replacing. With this in mind it was decided totake this route to obtain a more up to date model.

Cheers.

Chris.

Chris,

Is this the one you were doing or has Ray built one by coincidence? Looks great who ever did it :)

I wasn't expecting to see a thread in this section started by you :fool:

Do love the red tail scheme, must get over and see it in the flesh if it's yours?

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil.

Ray has beaten me to it I'm afraid although I have made significant progress on mine as well. In fact, I now have two on the go

I have been given me a bit of inspiration and renewed enthusiasm to get mine finished. Having seen this one completed.

Watch out for the resurrection of my old thread. in the not too distant future.

Chris.

Very nice Chris, an interesting way to get a -200.

Looks beautifully painyed & decalled.

Cheers

John

Hi John.

Dead easy in terms of the work involved and as I mentioned to Gary, the only way to get an up to date model of the -200.

Ray has certainly made a nice job of the model,

Chris.

• Like 2

Hi Mike. How's things?

First off, I didn't build this one. Ray at 26DECALS is the man behind the build and a lovely job it is too.

Sadly I can't take the credit for this one, as much as I'd like to.

Regarding additional pics, I'll see if Ray has time to oblige.

All the best.

Chris.

Cheers Chris but I'd rather you didn't bother Ray right now. I'm hoping that he's too busy licking envelopes and stamps for me after the orders I placed with him last week.

Nice build Ray - thanks for posting Chris.

mike

what a stunning and superb build - I love it. this was definitely one of the better BA liveries - very British. I recently made a 737-200 from the Airfix mould using Rays Decals and thoroughly enjoyed the project. Thank you for posting, the more Civils on the forum the better (IMHO)

DSCF4907_zpsc653f0f5.jpg

• Like 1