1/32 Su-27P (Flanker-B) just made its last flight.

Alan P

Very sorry to hear about the fate of the kit, Sir.... you must have been deeply disappointed when it happened. Thanks for sharing all your great, detailed work with us. Sorry it wasn't a happier outcome for you.

Chris.

PS: Good luck with the new build of this monster kit. It WILL be worth it in the end!

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :weep:

Mate - I feel for you. It's happened to me before, so I can share your pain. At least you had a silver lining - the saving of your AM parts :)

But don't let this put you off doing a WIP thread - they are very, very informative and you take great pictures (not blurry or out of focus). A lot of people can learn from not only your mistakes but also your successes. You had many more successes than failures on this build and you showed me a thing or 5 about this kit that I didn't previously know. Must be a good thing right?

I've seen a WIP from someone who I would classify a pro and have a massive screw up. If he can do it, then anyone can! :)

The public shame only lasts a couple of minutes until someone else comes along and tops your embarrassment with something even better :) Trust me - I know all about embarrassing myself publically......

I for one am looking forward to your next endeavour.

MH

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello Alan

I really feel sorry for you...but if you learned something out of this very bad experience, could you please tell us what brand of paint you were using when this happened.

I do not understand when you're telling us that you primed your model over an already existing  base coat of Enamel paint. What Enamel paint did you use and what Polyurethane primer ?

Normally the Primer should go first on the bare plastic, shouldn't it ?

Many thanks for your explanations that could help avoiding such bad experience again …

Do not feel ashamed...it already happened to many of us …

Madcop. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2018 at 3:30 PM, madcop said:

Hello Alan

I really feel sorry for you...but if you learned something out of this very bad experience, could you please tell us what brand of paint you were using when this happened.

I do not understand when you're telling us that you primed your model over an already existing  base coat of Enamel paint. What Enamel paint did you use and what Polyurethane primer ?

Normally the Primer should go first on the bare plastic, shouldn't it ?

Many thanks for your explanations that could help avoiding such bad experience again …

Do not feel ashamed...it already happened to many of us …

Madcop. 

I was trying to use a white polyurethane primer for the white nose parts, having elected to respray the camouflage colours as I wasn't happy with them. The overspray reacted really badly with the existing enamel coat on the fuselage.

I then began to strip it back with a white spirit/cellulose thinners mix and then the seams popped open and the area around the cockpit began to melt. Perhaps I could have salvaged it, but I wasn't in the right frame of mind to try!

Lesson learned, and I hope I stumble across a reasonably priced kit one day.

Hi Alan

Count on me now to never spray polyurethane on enamels ( I still like those Xtracolours soooo much ! ).

Sorry that I can't help you as I never bought 1/32 Flanker ( too huge for the place I have…)

Good luck in your research for a new one.

Thanks a lot.

Madcop

• Like 1