1/72 Lightning T.Mk.4 Sword

Well having pondered long and hard over which kit from the three that I have available for this GB, in the end I have gone for this one. I haven't put a Sword kit together before but, from what I can gather from builds on here, whilst they require a bit more work they go together well.

So for this one I am going to build it out of the box (no wise cracks from the back about not being able to build in the box) and we will see how things progress. Roll on next weekend, can't wait.

The obligatory box shot.

CIMG2769_zps1de9384d.jpg

I'll use this as a reference but I expect there will be a wealth of other info from fellow builders that I will be able to use too.

CIMG2770_zpsbf42390a.jpg

And who knows, if things are going really well I may also get the chance to do one of these two.

CIMG2767_zps70d0bf88.jpg

CIMG2766_zps17e719dc.jpg

using these for the Airfix kit

CIMG2768_zpsf8bc64c1.jpg

Although I must admit to having made a start on the Pavla seat for the Airfix kit, but I think that it just about falls within the 25% rule. I made the following grab handle for the top of the seat.

CIMG2771_zps52336d78.jpg

• Like 3

Although I must admit to having made a start on the Pavla seat for the Airfix kit, but I think that it just about falls within the 25% rule. I made the following grab handle for the top of the seat.

Erm... just about...! :lol: Welcome to the GB. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OK off we go then, after the sprues had a bath I removed the fuselage and wing parts from the sprues. The inner surfaces of these are covered with lugs from the injection process and I suspect that some will need removing. Once I have cleaned up the sprue attachment points I'll have a better idea of which ones need attention. A quick look suggests that I will have to clean up most of those on the wings but I may get away with removing just one at the rear of the fuselage as all the others don't seem to effect the fit of other parts.

CIMG2777_zps2121ffc5.jpg

CIMG2778_zpsc8a1c8f6.jpg

I also need to reduce the length of the ducting on both sides of the fuselage which is too long for the T.4, so there is plenty to be getting on with before I start painting or glueing bits together.

CIMG2776_zps6bc3b8c2.jpg

CIMG2775_zpse0ad2db5.jpg

Included in this kit are a a small etch fret and a couple of seats plus a nice representation of the twin exhausts in resin. I just hope I can do the resin bits justice when I paint them up.

CIMG2780_zpsab91685b.jpg

CIMG2774_zps69800fb3.jpg

Thanks for looking, more soon.

• Like 3

After some domestic duties in the garden (wives can be so unreasonable, she doesn't seem to understand that I have a group build on the go) I was able to do a bit of a tidy up around the sprue attachment points. One bit of good news as a result of this is that the little injection stubs are not as much of an issue as I thought they might be. I only had to reduce the one towards the wing tip (shaded black in the photos). The others fall within the aerofoil section of the wing and I had to remove some bits of flash from a few of these to allow the wing halves to fit together neatly. I havent glued them yet because I want to prime and paint the undercarriage bays first.

CIMG2781_zps89cf969f.jpg

CIMG2782_zps05519e31.jpg

I did manage to damage the leading edge of one wing half due to my ham fistedness in removing a sprue attachment, so it is worth taking some extra care when doing this as the plastic is of the softer type. Nothing to drastic here I just need to fill it with superglue or a little bit of plastic file it back to shape.

The rear of fuselage was also an area I was concerned about, so I removed the pouring lug from the resin exhaust to try this and again the fit was good. A bit more fettling and it should be nigh on perfect.

CIMG2785_zps531b7c6d.jpg

CIMG2786_zps68f117a7.jpg

One area that will need attention before I carry on is the cockpit which has one of these injection stubs on the floor.

CIMG2783_zps27171122.jpg

Anyway, onwards and upwards. More soon.

• Like 3

Since the last update I have primed and sprayed the main u/c bays with Tamiya Silver Leaf and removed the injection stub from the cockpit floor.

CIMG2792_zps70a631d7.jpg

I also removed the extra material from the trunking on the fuselage sides making it correct for the T.4. First job for this was to mask off the area and using the rough side of the wife's best nail buffer (no, not even I am that crazy) I removed most of the material. I then switched to a four sided sanding stick to get the rest down, finishing with a final buff to polish the plastic up again. The next job for these two areas is to add the detail previously hidden by the trunking and to redefine the lines reduced by the final polish.

CIMG2790_zpsef67abec.jpg

CIMG2791_zps94ee3c62.jpg

Today I was able to prime the seats and cockpit tub, then made a start on the instrument panel. I'll try and get some paint on the seats tomorrow then I can add the etch to these once they are dry.

CIMG2797_zpsc923a524.jpg

Another update soon playmates.

• Like 5

That console is rather nice, I think I can read the ASI!

Duncan B

That instrument panel is rather tasty. Good clean work on the cable duct as well.

Ditto (x2).

Thanks for the kind comment guys. It's down to the manufacturer, I just stick 'em together.

It's a very nice T5 instrument panel, unfortunately Sword missed a trick here as the T4 panel is completely different. Check pp73-74 of the Sam Modellers Datafile.

Thanks Dave, I hadn’t noticed but now that you have pointed it out I can see that the supplied instrument panel is for the T5. So if you say nowt I wont. :shutup::)

To be fair to Sword their etch does state that it is for T.4/T.5. I guess that this, along with the over long cable ducting, is another compromise that they have made in order to get the most out of the tooling and keep the cost down for us modellers.

I know it won’t be a competition winner, but hey I’m enjoying putting it together and taking part in the GB.

Pity Sword missed this one, as you say they give you the same etch in both T4 and T5 boxings, with that and the cable ducts you can only make a T5 without resorting to modifications. The F1/F2 boxing gives you the 2 different panels in the same kit, so they spotted that one!

Some great technique on display here Nimrod. You always build to such a high standard - very motivating for me. And my ignorance is bliss when it comes to the instrument panel!

Cheers Cookenbacher it's humbling to know that my builds are motivating you, I hope that you are getting plenty of tips from them.

I received some more bits for it today. SAC undercarriage legs, Quickboost nose ring and some Model Alliance decals. :winkgrin: Yes I know I said I wanted to do this OOB but when I taped the fuselage halves together the nose ring doesn't look concentric. Then I thought that having made the decision to replace this I may as well chage the undercarriage legs for metal ones. Whilst the kit decals are OK they do have the blue border missing from the red and white check and this new set also gives a third option of a 19 Sqdn T4 in NMF, so I have the excuse to buy another.

I will post some photos of the extra parts at my next update.

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of updates but I am have difficulty in motivating myself to carry on with this after the instrument panel issue. I find that the best way to get over that is to leave things alone for a few days and then try again. I have to decide if I should add both student and instructors gun sights to the top of the coaming as on the T4 and try to deflect attention away from this area, or to continue to build the IP and coaming as that fitted on the T5 making it completely wrong.

As mentioned in a previous post I have purchased some additional parts for this kit.

CIMG2800_zpsf9f1a106.jpg

Another issue with the kit is around the nose ring, whilst the alignment is fine the plastic seems to be inconsistent in terms of its thickness and it doesn't look concentric. I am hoping I can resolve this with the Quickboost nose ring designed for the Trumpeter kit. This will have the added benefit of removing the fuselage join at this point and will also aid in aligning the two halves.

Front of fuselage (ignore the misalignment that is down to me) showing nose ring issue.

CIMG2801_zpsedc2287d.jpg

The cockpit tub is now awaiting some detail painting whilst the seats are painted and ready to have the etch belts fitted.

CIMG2799_zps6ae3c0b3.jpg

CIMG2798_zpse3889536.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

I wouldn't let the console issue put you off, very few people will have the knowledge to be able to spot it or comment on it. I have the T4 and T5 and I was aware that Sword had not got it right for the T4 but I don't care as this time last year we didn't have an off the shelf T bird solution in plastic so am willing to live with that issue.

You only have to please yourself with your build, don't let us put you off.

Duncan B (who still hasn't made a start to any of his Lightnings yet)

• Like 2

I agree with Duncan and Cookenbacher; don't let the panel issue dissuade you from the build. You've made great progress thus far (nicely painted seats, by the way) and I'm keen to see your inclusion of the extras, particularly the Quickboost nose ring.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 1

I wouldn't let the console issue put you off, very few people will have the knowledge to be able to spot it or comment on it. I have the T4 and T5 and I was aware that Sword had not got it right for the T4 but I don't care as this time last year we didn't have an off the shelf T bird solution in plastic so am willing to live with that issue.

You only have to please yourself with your build, don't let us put you off.

Duncan B (who still hasn't made a start to any of his Lightnings yet)

Yes, another vote for not worrying about the IP- the glory of the build will far outweigh that little detail.

I agree with Duncan and Cookenbacher; don't let the panel issue dissuade you from the build. You've made great progress thus far (nicely painted seats, by the way) and I'm keen to see your inclusion of the extras, particularly the Quickboost nose ring.

cheers,

Andrew.

Keep going dude. I'm having loads of fit issues with a new tool Airfix F6. Your work so far is top notch.

First of all I would like to apologise if from the tone of my previous post you guy's thought that I was thinking of abandoning this build. Being a bit of a perfectionist and now knowing that the IP is wrong for the T4, I was finding it difficult motivating myself to get on with other things whilst pondering over what to do about this. Had this not been pointed out then I would have trundled along quite happily to completion, a prime case of ignorance is bliss. I now have the chance to try and do something about it and have decided to go along the route of disguising it, so what if a few of the dials aren't in the right place. As Duncan B has said 12 months ago it wasn't possible to build a T4/T5 kit off the shelf.

I am only a week into the project and so there is plenty of time for me to get my rear end into gear and crack on. I also have the diversion of my 1/144 build to keep me amused.

Thanks for all the support, back soon with more.

• Like 4

That's the spirit :D Have the same kit in the stash and must admit the instrument panel issue was the main reason it didn't get picked for this GB. Having seen what you can do in 144th scale I'm sure it'll prove no problem for your talents though.

• Like 1

Cheers Col.

I had a play about with the nose ring earlier and it fits quite well. As with the tailpipes, there is a bit more fettling needed and we should be there. It looks a lot better than the kit at this point.

CIMG2804_zps2a38579c.jpg

CIMG2805_zps132c1126.jpg

The fit is much better than it appears in these photos.

I have also added a few bits of streched sprue to represent the cable runs which are completely fictitious in terms of position, but they do add a little more detail to the RPB. I just need to add the run up to the canopy along with something to represent the high intensity lights in there, but that will probably be towards the end of the project.

CIMG2803_zpsa75be28b.jpg

Thanks again for looking in.

• Like 2