Stripy Mustang

Yet another stripy build! :)

I'm not starting this right now. It has been in progress since the start of the GB - I just haven't got around to putting up a build thread. I realise I'm sailing close to the wind with this one, as all my posts will come in a very short period. If the hosts have a problem with this, I will gladly move the thread.

I will actually be building two models in this thread. The stripy one is a P-51D-20-NA of the 45th Fighter Squadron, 15th Fighter Group based on Iwo Jima in June 1945. This aircraft was named "Stinger VII" and was flown by Major Robert W Moore. I shall be using decals from the Kagero Topcolors No 3, Fighters Over Japan Part 1.

My second build will be a Mustang IV of 154 Sqn based at RAF Hunsdon. This is KH765 HG-R flown by Flt Lt Alex Forsyth in March 1945. The decals are from the Xtradecal sheet 48092.

I will be using the Tamiya 1/48 kit for bother builds. I attempted to build some models for the previous P-51 GB but failed miserably. I tried to use the Aires resin wheel bay set but didn't take into account that it simply does not fit! :wall: Therefore, this time round I won't be complicating matters. I will be using the Eduard Zoom cockpit set and Quickboost PE flaps - and that's it! :D

So... here we go. I haven't taken any photos of the box top and kit parts. I'm sure everyone is familiar with them. :)

Okay... the real reason is that I forgot! :banghead:

So the first step was to build the wings. The rear face of the wheel well on the P-51 was formed by the rear spar. The kit has a spurious rear wall. I ignored this and just went for the kit parts as shown. The wheel bay interior was sprayed with Alclad2 Dull Aluminium and the rear wall/spar was painted with Chromate yellow.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Then the cockpit assembly was built using the kit parts dressed up with PE from the Eduard Zoom set. This is the stripy Mustang. The RAF Mustang has a Sutton harness instead.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Fuselage halves ready to go together.

006.jpg

Here is the airframe assembled.

007.jpg

With a couple of shots of the wheel bays. They don't look too bad, even though I know they're wrong...

008.jpg

009.jpg

The airframe painted in natural metal finish. The base is an aluminium colour from a rattle can. Various panels were masked off and sprayed with Alclad: Dark Aluminium and White Aluminium.

010.jpg

011.jpg