Finally getting started...

After another house move from Shoreham to Worthing, I have at last unpacked the modelling paraphenalia. Thankfully WW1

aircraft seem fairly straight forward, so I will attempt to finish this:

znk0sm.jpg

It's a simple kit that I may stand a chance of finishing, all my other WWI stuff deserves more TLC, so this

is the one. I have made a little start tonight having put some framing in the cockpit, added a seat harness,

and given it a little bit of paint:

1z1zi28.jpg

15wdpab.jpg

I have noticed a couple of areas that need some work although I still hope to be finished by the deadline :shutup:

On another note - the kit decals are completely unuseable, does anyone have any 48th Camel decals

they would like to offload?

Little bit more accomplished today. As well as some preliminary painting I have done some bits and pieces:

I have removed the blob of plastic from the strut and tried to fashion a more accurate pitot head:

ilfvbl.jpg

I have also started to fashion a floor as the kit has none:

zswzmd.jpg

And I have also slapped some paint on the prop:

2iiuc7p.jpg

After a late start, I'm finally out of the traps!

• Like 1

Thanks Shelfspace. I think any kit forms the basis for a scale representation but some more than others. Not having much biplane experience I can say I am really enjoying this and am already eyeing some very colourful interwar machines.

Little bit more tonight:

14x0b28.jpg

I've tried to add a little interest to the cockpit (as much as my sausage fingers will allow) although the small size

means very little is on show.

rr3803.jpg

Fuselage is now buttoned up and the lower wing has been put in place. I'm just wondering if the fabric moulding

behind the cockpit is overdone and if I should smooth it with a little milliput - any advice is most willingly accepted.

Thanks for looking.

Got the chance to do a little more today although we are at what I now consider the boring bit! I have the interplane struts in place and more importantly the awful ribbing effect on the rear fuselage has disappeared under a liberal helping of milliput:

np3ski.jpg

2i8ami1.jpg

1zobtyt.jpg

I have to say for such an old kit it's going together quite well. I'm just deliberating the best way forward now what with more struts, undercarriage, and the mainplane. Been and bought the paints today so all's going well.....................................so far.

Thanks for looking.

A bit more progress if you good people are interested. There has been a lot of miliput and sanding of late (I may have contracted emphasema!). Having eridicated the overdone detail one way or another, I have added the tail andgiven her a first undercoat:

16huikx.jpg

1pf21u.jpg

vglk7.jpg

Still a ways to go but still confident of getting there. Now some advice if you please, In your opinion which of thses colours best represents the linen dope used on the undersides. Given the vagiaries of my photography, and the light which do you think I should go with to represent a well used machine? One is the Humbrol linen enamel, the other is a mix to represent the worn and discoloured fabric:

k4ijjn.jpg

Any and all advice is most welcome, thanks for looking.

Free day today as SWBO has been painting the bathroom, so I've "got some in":

Have fitted the engine and cowling, I think it is now starting to look like a Camel

n5nhfq.jpg

r26s7k.jpg

Because of the light colour of the undersides I have tried painting stripes on the undersides to represent wing ribs, I'm hoping they'll

show through after a couple of coats of linen colouring. I was going to mask them off but after looking at pictures the covering seems

to diffuse the light making them blurred so I did them freehand to make their shape look "diffused".

2ytqyvo.jpg

I have just put the first coat on and so far it appears to be working - watch this space.

Thanks for looking, C&C very welcome.

The lighter tan looks more 'right' to me, but it is too bright, I'd tone it down a bit, maybe with a slight touch of grey. In the end though whatever you think looks right, is right. The other darker shade is a little too dark for Clear Doped Linen, even weathered.

On the under surfaces the ribs should be lighter than the fabric between, on the upper surfaces, the ribs should be a little darker. At the Canada Aviation Museum there is an original 2F1 Navy Camel and that is how the wing ribbing looks.

It is nice to see this old Aurora kit again, I built one ages ago. it holds up pretty well, doesn't it.

BTW, the structure between the wheels of the undercarriage should be flat with no ribbing effect. There were actually two axles, hinged in the middle, one for each wheel, and had bungee cords wrapped around them near the wheels to act as shock absorbers, the axles hinged upward in load.

I'm looking forward to seeing the completed model. Good work so far.

Edited by Richard B.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not posted alot of late but have been working when given the chance, and this weekend has been one of mixed fortunes.

First let me show you where I'm at:

2drhuo6.jpg

24zx75e.jpg

The upper wing is ready to go on and she needs a bit more paint so I was happy where i was until this afternoon. As the kit decals were

obviously unuseable the only replacements I had were either from the Roden 1.1/2 Strutter (too small) or a Blue Max Snipe and as these

were the closest I decided to use them. Unfortunately on immersion in water they decided to explode and become unsalvageable. The

only option left is to use roundels of a darker blue. Definitely not a happy bunny :raincloud: