RN Merlin HM1 - Italeri 1/72 - Guinevere

Pat C

Glad to have finally finished this lady. She has sat patiently on the shelf of doom for about three years or so, brought our every now and then for some work and then put away again as the finishing line seemed to recede rather than draw nearer.

43841140691_646d50edc1_o.jpgmer8 

If you are making one of these, remember two crucial tips. First, attach the tail section to each fuselage half separately rather than gluing the fuselage together and then the tail and joining the two as the instructions suggest. The fit is poor and at least if you join the two parts on each side you can get them to line up, and then you get the easier job of filling the gap top and bottom when you bring the whole lot together.

43123979674_8f5b0eb515_o.jpgmer5 

Second, the side sections of the fuselage need to be packed out with plastic strip otherwise they will sit too deep and leave a nasty step. There are a host of other small issues with this kit that if you were so inclined you might try to correct. Everytime I compared the kit with pics of the real thing I could see subtle differences in the shapes and positions of various protrusions and intakes - I added two blisters above the sponsons (originally clear parts from a Matchbox Mosquito!) which seemed quite prominent on the real thing. I sanded down the raised areas around the steps near the cockpit, but lost the heart to do the same to the steps at the rear. The mirrors also seemed to stick out too far so I trimmed down the attachments.

43841141361_f50aff2d9a_o.jpgmer4 

The sleeves that the rotors fit into also seemed quite unlike the real thing - I understand this has been corrected on later boxings of the kit like the Revell HC2 and the "Skyfall" one [EDIT as has been pointed out below not all Merlins have folding rotors which would account for the later change in shape of these parts] . The Italeri decals were really a very poor effort - pretty much all of them were the wrong size, colour, or font - all sometimes all three. The White Ensigns and "Guinevere" markings came from a Modelart sheet, although I thought that some of these decals were also the wrong size and replaced the serial myself.

43123979594_d272a8dcbb_o.jpgmer7 

Paint was all over Xtracrylix Medium Sea Grey with Dark Green main rotors.

42937644315_ed43646c38_o.jpgmer3 

Hope you like!!

43841141561_74cc07c8a7_o.jpgmer2 

42937832515_1dcbe208a3_o.jpgmer10 

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 42

Very nice, you did a great job! I got the kit from Revell today, so right now I'm gathering some infos about the kit. (unfortunately, the rotor head will need some adjustment, as it's not corrected...)

Alex

• Like 1

Thanks for all the nice comments all! For the weathering, as these Merlins did seem to have a bit of a worn appearance, I did a bit of preshading the panels and then a wash of Flory Dark Dirt wash. The Revell version of the kit does have better decals i think. One other point i forgot to mention was the forward window on the port side that you need to open up yourself. I thought the resulting hole too big and ended up filling it partly with miliput and then sanding carefully to shape.

It's a surprisingly big machine, significantly bigger than a Sea King.

Pat

I am glad you did get this one finished. It has turned out very nicely and, although I can't quite put my finger on it, the model has got something rather special about it.

Martin

• Like 1

A very nice built. As I have one in the stash as well:

I do not quite get the meaning of this (I am not a nativ english speaker):

"Second, the side sections of the fuselage need to be packed out with plastic strip otherwise they will sit too deep and leave a nasty step."

Are the side sections the fuselage halves? It would be nice if you could add an explanation regarding this 'operation' on the kit.

Ingo

• Like 1

Hi Ingo - there is a separate panel that contains most of the side windows (to allow for the different versions to be made) which stretches from behind the cockpit until just in front of the rearmost window. This is fitted to each fuselage half but will end up recessed rather than flush if you do not modify it as suggested.

Pat

• Like 1