Classic plane: 1/72 DH Heron

marty_hopkirk

Yes. Only Airfix ever did the Heron to 1/72. Not a bad kit for its time BUT its the only game in town if you really want one. And John Aero of Aeroclub nay still have bits for it in his range!

Hi marty, i am currently building an airfix heron which has been in the cupboard for donkeys years, i cant vouch for its accuracy but it does build into an attractive looking aircraft. the quality of the kit is as you would expect from the era, there are large gaps in the fit of ailerons, elevators rudder and cabin door but its all easily fixed with plasticard, filler, and a bit of rescribing, have found it to be an enjoyable build so far, will post it when eventually finished. take the plunge and have a go. cheers michael.

the humped cockpit look is exacerbated by the molded- in window framing. If you look at pictures of the Heron from front on you will see the windscreens are in "landscape" format ie wider than they are high. Look at the kit windows and you will see they are in "portrait" format higher than wide.

somewhere in ready for inspection I have a couple of Herons where I fixed this up and they look much better when this is modified

Edited by wallyinoz

I have a Heron in the stash, and a Rareplanes Dove/Devon, and some resin engines.

Unless AIM get their act together and produce the Drover, I am going to butcher the Dove.

Made a Heron years ago (50) Maybe I should do another.

Magna do a conversion for the Heron (8872) for series 1 or 2, consisting of white metal u/c, cockpit & cabin interior, u/c inserts and replacement cabin doors( wrong size windows). The conversion also includes decals for Dan Air London. Seven further decal options from S & M and 26 are also referenced. Chris

I have one that I started to restore from when I first built it about 45 years ago!!! Originally in the Shell markings that was one of the options in the Airfix kit. I plan to finish it as a Queens Flight Heron but found a photo of one in standard Transport Command finish of white / LAG and the blue fuselage flash.

Magna do a conversion for the Heron (8872) for series 1 or 2, consisting of white metal u/c, cockpit & cabin interior, u/c inserts and replacement cabin doors( wrong size windows). The conversion also includes decals for Dan Air London. Seven further decal options from S & M and 26 are also referenced. Chris

Yeah, I have that conversion set and plan on doing a BEA red square Heron 1 with S&M's decals.

I also have a Magna Dove/Devon in my stash, so don't have to fight with a Rareplanes vac-form!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have that conversion set and plan on doing a BEA red square Heron 1 with S&M's decals.

I also have a Magna Dove/Devon in my stash, so don't have to fight with a Rareplanes vac-form!

I think I would prefer the Rareplanes Dove / Devon any day to the magna one, its not that bad to build, and is more accurate in appearance than the Magna rendition