Revell 1/72 Tornado GR.1

It seems like everyone is building Tonkas on here at the moment, so I didn't want to be left out!

Lovely little kit (save the dodgy nose profile...) All OOB, except craft wire AoA probes. This was built to hang from the ceiling at work, so I didn't go all out with aftermarket goodies to tart it up; in all honesty, it's only got about half a sheet of stencils on it that you can't tell are missing, too!

17 sqn scheme is depicted, purely because I couldn't be bothered with masking out a 2 tone wrap camo scheme... maybe next time. I think I got the Tornado bug after building this, so I'll be keeping my eye out for the 1/48 kit for sure, now.

C&C welcomed as always. After seeing some of the Tornado posts recently and following Melchie's WIP, I'm under no illusions that this could hold a light up to some of the others on here, but I hope you enjoy nonetheless!

Daryl.

fZq0Rhl.jpg?1F6kcKoe.jpg?1

Edited by daryl_five_zero
  • Like 16

Nice one Daryl, I like the heavy weathering, it seems to suit the Tornado well. The Revell kit is up there in my all time top 3 kits, quite possibly number one.

You' ve done this one justice, excellent work.

Eng

We could have done a group build! That is a great looking Tornado - I'm a big fan of MSG panels, and the wrap-around tanks are a nice touch. The weathering is spot on too - how did you go about the APU exhaust on the tail?

Man, I'm far too lazy for a GB, but I totally agree! The Tornado deserves one for sure... such a fine looking bird.

I'm not gonna lie, with the weathering, I just looked at a bunch of pics online - mainly on the Tornado SIG - and tried to replicate it as I saw it. I guess the APU exhaust weathering is the big dirty stain on the fin? That was literally just a blast of Revell 09 through my airbrush with a little oil from the Tamiya weathering kit. I'm not too knowledgable on the Tonka to be honest (I'm almost scared to admit, I'm much more of a Harrier fan myself - sorry!) so I can't really vouch for the accuracy of my build.

Thanks for the kind words though, folks! Hopefully it's not too long before I get a nice looking 1/48 GR.4 on the go!

• Like 1

I'm not a great fan of the Tornado, but your model and a couple others before on BM are really getting me interested in the beast.

Your model looks spot on.

Great piece of modeling!

JR