Resin Detail sets for Airfix Gladiator - 1:72 SBS Model

Resin Detail sets for Airfix Gladiator

1:72 SBS Model

gladiatorpacks.jpg

These resin upgrade sets for Airfix's excellent Gladiator are amongst the first items we have received from Hungarian outfit SBS Model. On checking their website however, that they are actually just the latest items in an impressive and expanding range of resin upgrades and pre-cut masks for aircraft and AFV kits.

Gloster Gladiator Engine Set

gladiatorengine_2.jpg

The largest of the three sets is a replacement Bristol Mercury engine for the kit's plastic version. While the Airfix kit is no slouch when it comes to detail, there is only so much that can be achieved with injection moulding. This resin version is several cuts above, being comprised of separately cast cylinder cases with delicate details such as cooling fins, all of which fit into the similarly well-cast crank case. Although it looks complex when spread out in front of you, I reckon it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to put it all together. The resin is as good as any I've seen, with sharp details and no bubbles.

bin.jpg

Gloster Gladiator Wheel Set (Spoked)

gladiatorwheels_1.jpg

This simple set provides a pair of spoked wheels for the Airifx kit, with slotted backs so they can be used in place of the kit parts without any cutting of faffing about. The parts are nice and sharp and well detailed and the photo etched brass spokes will give them the required depth and realism.

bin.jpg

Gloster Gladiator Wheel Set (Covered)

gladiatorwheels_2.jpg

This simple set provides a pair of un-spoked wheels for the kit, again with slotted backs so they can be used as a straight swap for the kit parts. As before, they are nice and sharp with no flaws or bubbles.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

Although these items are amongst the first I've seen from SBS Model, I have to say I'm suitable impressed. The key elements of detail, ease of use and quality of manufacture all seem to be present, making these items as good as any from the likes of Aires or Eduard. Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif