Let,s be civil.Airbus A320

stevej60

Hi folks,well I,ve been tempted to the dark side! having seen and been highly impressed for a while now by the superb civil

aircraft posted here and being a little jaded by the site of green and brown paint on my ongoing Hurricane builds I thought I

would have a go at something a bit more colourful.So here goes.this is Revells Lufthansa liveried A320 which features nice

engraved panel lines and a superb decal sheet a million miles from the last airliner I built way back in the seventies which I

think was an Airfix Boeing 727.heres the box top,and I,ll make a start next day off,now where,s the gloss paint..........airbus_zps4e5eb5c1.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Well if this is the dark side I'm not sure where I was with the two German tanks!! I'm hoping to start work on a couple of Spitfires in the near future so i'm sticking with greens, greys and browns for now!! I have to say I'm not wanting to make one of these civilian aircraft but enjoy looking at the finished models. I shall be interested to see you transfer your skills to this project.

• Like 1

Well if this is the dark side I'm not sure where I was with the two German tanks!! I'm hoping to start work on a couple of Spitfires in the near future so i'm sticking with greens, greys and browns for now!! I have to say I'm not wanting to make one of these civilian aircraft but enjoy looking at the finished models. I shall be interested to see you transfer your skills to this project.

Thanks Stix,just something different but the hurricane builds are still going on and that MKIX Spitfire beckons!

Morning,got all the major parts off the sprue and cleaned up,and painted the interior areas black. Since the photo was taken I have joined the fuselage

halves and the "step" that was obvious on the dry run is not as bad due to the scrap sprue i glued to the offending half of the fuselage,you can see it

in the photo.So I will leave it to dry until tomorrow.Thanks for looking.SDC12194800x533_zps48cd5537.jpg

• Like 5

Hi and Good Luck - the kit you have chosen is a good choice. If you don't want to stick with zee-germans, at least give 26Decals and F-DCAL a look in as their choices of A319/320/321 decals are brilliant, and each have superb detailing sets. If this kits get you rocking, then have a go also at the new Zvezda A320 which is arguably better than the Revell moulding here, and also features the interior galley, detailed flight-deck and optional flaps and slats.

I normally use an airbrush for my civies, but don't let the use of rattle-can sprays make you feel like you are taking short cuts as they do deliver a superb finish. if it is of any help to you, I adopt the following approach for my civil builds

1. assemble/part assemble
  2. prime spray
  3. mask and add desired colour(s) with airbrush or rattle-can
  4. gloss varnish twice 24-48 hours apart
  5. add decals
  6. gloss varnish once
  7. weather / dirty up panel lines
  8. seal in final choice of either matt, gloss or satin varnish

Good luck - may the force be with you

• Like 2

Hi folks,last couple of days progress,how you airliner guys have the patience to do this full time is beyond me! OK I have the impression this is not

the best of Revell,s airliner kits but the filling and sanding especially on the top join of the fuselage has been a pain.Anyway she is primed as you

can see there was a poor fit on the wing insert on the bottom surface so I had to "push" out the fuselage with scrap sprue so now there are a couple

of minor areas to fill especially above the cockpit.thanks for looking in.SDC12206800x533_zps0c3b372d.jpgSDC12207800x533_zpsfa89fed6.jpgSDC12208800x533_zpse2c6faa5.jpg

• Like 3

Remember to remove those small flap track fairings (applicable only to the A321 wing) as described in your "First Airliner" thread.

Also this thread has some more info: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966215-another-1144-revell-a319-british-airways/ It's about the A319 but describes the small flap track fairing issue well.

coming along nicely - I like and take note of your point about the fuselage and wing joint - that's a good idea you have used there to overcome the problem and something I will adopt in the future

I'm learning too - Great idea Steve.

Mike

Remember to remove those small flap track fairings (applicable only to the A321 wing) as described in your "First Airliner" thread.

Also this thread has some more info: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966215-another-1144-revell-a319-british-airways/ It's about the A319 but describes the small flap track fairing issue well.

Damn it! forgot about them,got them removed without to much fuss,should be much easier on the BA version as no assembly yet thanks for the reminder.

Hi all,just a last update of the day.I removed the fairings as instructed and sanded the lines to a point they cannot be seen so after a re_spray I am

leaving to dry until tomorrow then thoughts turning to the gloss white,the BA version has had the same treatment so I think I will start to assemble

it tomorrow.thanks for looking and the encouragement.SDC12209800x533_zps18d72d7d.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folks today,s progress.gray applied to wings ,engines and lower fuselage.I was just about to break out the Halfords appliance white but I am

sure in the past it has reacted badly with acrylic Tamiya paint so have gone down the Tamiya white route which I have applied a couple of thin

coats of matt white till I get the density for a coat of gloss.SDC12218800x533_zps180b2f64.jpg

• Like 2

A few pointers, if I may.

Looks like you didn't fill those flap panel lines (see the other thread).

The tops of the wings of Lufthansa Aircraft are white, and don't have coroguard, just walkway lines. Btw, that's an unusual coroguard pattern!. The demarcation between the white and grey on Lufthansa aircraft is not level. It's at the wing root levels on the leading edge and trailing edges, i.e. it's higher in front of the wing than it is behind it.

May be the light but what grey are you using? Lufthansa grey (same colour for the belly, engines and bottom of wings) is darker and 'blueier" (if that is indeed a word) than Boeing or Airbus grey. Ha, as I'm writing this a Lufthansa B737 just taxied past my office (GVA) with a two-tone engine cowling, but both shades of Lufthansa's grey.

I'm curious as to why you're adding the windshield after painting. They are usually not a perfect fit and require some fettling. I think it's the A320 kit that has incorrect framing engraving, making the visible panes too small. Basically, the panes should be the full height of the piece.

Hope that helps.

Hi Buzz, Thanks for the info on the wing colour I trawled through google for images and there were not many good shots of the upper wings so that can

be rectified easily. I have matched the grey to the photographs available on line which appear much lighter than the box art. The photo ,s are taken

outside which does,nt help.I left the lines on this one as being a first Airliner it,s very much practice piece the BA version is having the corrections before

assembly

Edited by stevej60